Anyone have experience with satin finishes?

Murph

I placed an order for a Moc Sand Satin Silver Sky, but I’m contemplating cancelling it and trying to find a gloss version from 2020, as I’m not sure how I’ll like the guitar glossing up in places over time.

Anyone have experience with satin finishes? How long did it last before turning glossy? Did your forearm make the body gloss up in some areas?

Lastly, what are your thoughts? Should I go with the satin or try to track down a gloss? I’m indifferent.

Thanks!

Satin will gloss up as it gets rubbed, that's simply what happens, and the length of time will depend on how often you play, how much your arm and body move, what clothing you wear, etc. The more you move, the more the finish gets buffed out.

Personally I prefer a gloss finish, but the satins sure can look great. A lot of players with satin guitars like the individuality the finishes develop from being played. If you're unsure, just go gloss and you won't have to think about it.

I know some people love satin finishes (and that’s cool. Each to their own) but since you ask for experiences, I don’t like them at all. For the reason you mention. To me a guitar glossing in areas of wear just doesn’t do it for me. I’ve owned two. One was a Gibson SG that was worn in and looked terrible to me. I used some fine grit polishing compound and a lot of buffing and got some shine to it (it was as much to see if it could shine as anything. Just for the fun of it). The other is a Nik Huber with the best satin finish I’ve seen. It’s kind of satin all over and hasn’t glossed up much. Polishing the rest of the guitar gives it all a decent dull shine, if that makes sense). That guitar is completely amazing and I can live with the satin finish. Not sure how the PRS satin would compare to the Nik Huber. Go with your feelings on this one. If you feel good about the guitar, it will feel and sound better!

I used some fine grit polishing compound and a lot of buffing and got some shine to it (it was as much to see if it could shine as anything. Just for the fun of it). The other is a Nik Huber with the best satin finish I’ve seen. It’s kind of satin all over and hasn’t glossed up much. Polishing the rest of the guitar gives it all a decent dull shine, if that makes sense).

I did the same thing to the top of my '07 Singlecut Satin 10 top. I like it so much that I plan to eventually fully refinish it in glossy nitro. But, I have about a hundred other projects with higher priority, so it will probably remain in in-between satin-gloss purgatory for as long as I'm alive.

My 53/10 ltd started as a satin nitro finish. It looked and felt lovely when I first got it (previous owner must have barely taken it out of the case). But it didn't take long to polish up. The neck soon turned to a gloss finish, and patches of the top and back. I've given the top a polish up myself now so that it is consistent all over, but I left the back, so there are patches that are more shiny than others there but it isn't normally seen. I really don't mind that it is no longer satin (though the satin really does feel cool whilst it is still satin). It now has an aged gloss look to the guitar which fits with the more vintage feel of my instrument - and means that my accidental 'relicing' every time I donk it feels in keeping with its aesthetic

I personally love the satin finishes and three out of four of my PRS are completely satin. They will gloss up in spots over time as others have pointed out but it doesn’t really bother me and I much prefer the way they look and feel with the satin finish.

I was handling a brand new guitar like this and the slightest touch left a mark - not for me....

Uhttps://imgur.com/a/84jjpcK
i have a couple and I must say I absolutely love them, Satin necks , love em. My Charcoal Standard was SOOO new, it reeked of Nitro when I got it. I wear this guitar out, I beat it , I grip and rip, I get reckless, I don’t have any issues at all. Actually I sold a mint custom 22 for this standard as I felt I could not treat that beautiful special the way I can this standard. Sometimes less is more:)

The 2 PRS’s I still have are both 07 satin singlecuts. I’ve owned 2 others also. I’ve owned 18 PRS’s in all, and the satins are by far, my favorite guitars. nothing feels as good to me as a satin neck. I have a hard time NOT playing a satin guitar anymore!

My Zappa PS has a satin finish on it, hard not to just stare at the thing, love the look. I imagine the right sanding pads and some bravery would fix any glossing issues that occur over time but so far I haven’t experienced any.

The 2 PRS’s I still have are both 07 satin singlecuts. I’ve owned 2 others also. I’ve owned 18 PRS’s in all, and the satins are by far, my favorite guitars. nothing feels as good to me as a satin neck. I have a hard time NOT playing a satin guitar anymore!

Yeah, I've played a lot of PRS guitars, and I have to say the 07 Satin Singlecut stands out. Once I picked mine up the first time, I knew I'd have to buy it. I'd rather have a glossy top on the body, just because the grain looks so good. But the satin neck plays great.

I've also tried a couple S2 Satin Standards at Guitar Center, and I liked those a lot too. Probably should have bought one. Pretty good deal at around a grand new.

I have a satin Santana SE, not crazy about how it looks with glossy and non glossy areas. I kinda regret not buffing it up when it was all apart.

Yes. I had a satin Bonnie Pink 594, 20th Anni. Standard 24 satin, and currently own a MEQ with non-finished rosewood neck. The first two belonged to one of my friends.

There are some benefits of satin finishing over the glossy one. First the satin doesn't feel sticky. It can develop some stickiness as it becomes a bit glossy over time due to hours of use, but I think it's still not as sticky as polyurethane glossy finish anyways. Second, I think the satin finish allows for better acoustic resonance of the guitars as well as vibrating a bit stronger. I have played both satin and glossy 594 guitars and the satin one is louder acoustically - loud enough for me to practice unplug on it while watching TV. Such quality the MEQ can't come close.

But speaking of the appearance? Hmm, it depends on one's taste as well as other factors may come to your equation. For me, despite having direct experience to know how good the satin finish is, I won't choose satin guitars as main/first instruments as deep inside my mind I still prefer the glossy guitars, especially for expensive core PRS. I might considering buying some satin guitars only when I have enough glossy guitars.

YthADbv.jpeg

jSQhOPI.jpg

I had a Chris Cornell 335 that was a beautiful feeling satin. Shouldn't have sold it but couldn't carry all those guitars overseas with me. Have a SS moc sand satin en route to me. I don't care if they get glossy spots. I'll take satin over a bowling ball any day of the week LOL

For sound and resonance alone I would choose satin. For protection and looks alone I would choose gloss.

Whatever balance of those considerations you come to prefer is your choice.

On a neck it's okay (though I prefer an unfinished neck, gloss neck, and satin finished neck, in that order) but I do prefer the looks of a gloss finished body.

Back