Anyone have anything to say about the PS Violin II?

Whitecat

Goes home to Starla
Just curious... there's been little to no PR around the model, nothing from PRSh especially other than hearsay from Musikmesse... I find it especially odd that on the PS certificates, the McCarty Singlecuts they've done around the same time specify "European Maple" and these even just say "Curly Maple" ... surely a "violin" guitar must make use of the former. Other than some fancy purfling, what's so 'violin' about this?

So why so quiet from PRS on these?

The perny neck thing vs the original Violin is a thing I realise, but let's remember than pernambuco is used on bows, not instruments... so there's a rarity thing at play but not a deal breaker.

I guess I'm just wondering what the deal is really. Anyone tried one?

Other than some fancy purfling, what's so 'violin' about this?

Something's very wrong here, thinking hard...

Let's see...solid body instead of hollow, no F holes, six strings, much larger than a violin, electric pickups...hmmm...wait a just a dang minute here!

This is no violin!

It's a guitar!

They must have merely named it the violin guitar as...a clever marketing ploy!

It's like when I bought a McCarty. I thought I was going to get a bass like Paul McCarty played, you know, the Beatle. Instead, all I got was this...guitar.

And it turns out Paul McCarty wasn't even Paul McCarty. Some dude named Paul McCartney took his spot in the Beatles when he was killed in a car accident.

The whole thing was a screw job, but when I got my torch out to protest, I couldn't find my pitchfork. Turns out my wife had my pitchfork, and she stabbed me with it. Got me right in the ying-yang. She says it was an "accident." But I know a conspiracy when I see one ;)

Last edited:
Seems "to me" the "real" violin guitar is one of those semi-hollow trem things.... at least what I envision in my mind.

Seems "to me" the "real" violin guitar is one of those semi-hollow trem things.... at least what I envision in my mind.

Exactly. All violins have trems.

And if they don't have trems, they bloody well should have trems. Then we'd all enjoy going to the symphony a lot more.

Last edited:
You're welcome. I corrected my misspelling of 'trems' in the part you quoted. My auto-correct that I really need to shut off substituted 'terms' for 'trems' at one point.

I have this vision of a whole orchestra wanking wildly on their whammy bars. It really brings joy to my heart.

Whammy bars are to guitarists as bows are to violinists... gotta have something to wank.

Last edited:
Still waiting for the "real" violin guitars. (Which are really what carve top jazz guitars are are closest too) Spruce carved tops, solid Maple back and sides, Maple neck and varnish finish! (No varnish on the Gibson Johnny Smith though. All nitro) So lets get the closest thing to it from PRS! Semi hollow because we cant have all that feed back, or guys will not be able to use them with overdrive or any kind of volume. Plus the semi hollow nature gives more sustain than a hollow body, and we do not have a bow. Trem just because it adds resonance to a semi hollow design and sounds even more hollow. Now we need that carved Spruce top to round off and warm up the top end, the Maple body and neck for clarity, snap and punch, and the varnish finish for ultimate body vibrations! NOW we have a true violin electric guitar, or at least a very real attempt at one. Not just marketing mumbo jumbo. :rock: (Sounds like a great PS guitar in the mean time!)

Last edited:
very violin-y...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nG-jXPQe1ak

if i could spec a PS that guitar would be a major refrence point...
love comments on whats important when it comes to gear

Thanks for that video, what a terrific guitar.

If I were to spec a "violin" guitar, it would go something like this:

Fully hollow-body double cut with f holes;
Spruce for the top, willow for the internal bracing, and maple for the body and neck
Fretless ebony fingerboard and headstock veneer
Phase III locking tuners
Fernandes sustainer
57/08 brushed nickel with coil tap
Stoptail with brass inserts
Varnish finish

Thanks for that video, what a terrific guitar.

If I were to spec a "violin" guitar, it would go something like this:

Fully hollow-body double cut with f holes;
Spruce for the top, willow for the internal bracing, and maple for the body and neck
Fretless ebony fingerboard and headstock veneer
Phase III locking tuners
Fernandes sustainer
57/08 brushed nickel with coil tap
Stoptail with brass inserts
Varnish finish

NICE! What about a separate bridge with an ebony tail piece like Treys guitar in the above video? That may make me forget about the trem for sure. And if its fully hollow with internal bracing, no trem anyway! :rock: Now we are getting close to a true violin guitar!

Good idea Tag, I think that would be the right call. I did think about that but I thought it would further decrease the sustain (being fretless and all) - but that's why the Fernandes sustainer is there!

The construction and bracing of the PRS acoustics seems to be very well thought out. I do not see why a similar sort of bracing on a carved top electric could not be produced. Am I wrong or is the JA-15 sort of a step in that direction (albeit a thicker archtop body)?

Not sure how a stop tail would work on a fully hollow, absent "posts" like on the HB-II, which reduces the acoustic vibe somewhat.

Fretless might be interesting.......I recently started using a fretless bass and it is a kick.

Back