Anyone find 2 volumes more useful than vol/tone?

The fewer knobs the better, I passed on a great looking DGT because I thought "Three knobs *and* a switch? Who can live at that speed?"

Switches, however, can never get too many of those! I really wish I had a 70s BC Rich Mockinbird.

I was never a 4 knob/3-way guy until I got my first 594. The layout made more sense to me, and the ability to develop three distinct tones accessible just by flicking the switch became more useful to me in my Rush cover band. It’s awesome! The other benefit is the ability to character swap in the middle position. Dialing back one pickup just a hair to let the other shine but with contribution is a tone world you don’t get with just one volume knob. It’s not “either/or”. It’s MORE. So go buy the guitar and post an NGD. Word!

Apparently my guitars all have suck switches, but I can’t find them to turn them off. :(

My trumpet has the same affliction (I’m attached to it!):confused:

I was a two volume one tone guy for years.

Now I’m a one volume one tone guy. However there are two little micro switches of infinity that are great to experiment with!

I’m in Les’ camp of shape the sound with volume and tone. Not for everyone, but it works for me.

I’ve never had a two volume no tone, so ignore all of the above!

I would love this option on mine. But I have the 5 way rotary on them and haven't been successful at making them work......

I was never a 4 knob/3-way guy until I got my first 594. The layout made more sense to me, and the ability to develop three distinct tones accessible just by flicking the switch became more useful to me in my Rush cover band. It’s awesome! The other benefit is the ability to character swap in the middle position. Dialing back one pickup just a hair to let the other shine but with contribution is a tone world you don’t get with just one volume knob. It’s not “either/or”. It’s MORE. So go buy the guitar and post an NGD. Word!
Totally on board. Optimal layout for me.

Something I’ve been doing more of lately is lowering the neck pickup volume pots in my DGT and SC58 for a cleaner sound, and keeping the bridge volume full for distorted sounds. Perhaps in anticipation of the JCM800 2204 circuit build that should be arriving soon - my first one channel amp in quite a while. Really liking the ease of switching pickups and having a preset clean/gain.

On my other two guitars, the CE22 and Johnny Hiland, I'm thinking about switching them over to 2 volume controls instead of 1 Vol / 1 Tone. Anyone else done this on their guitars? Did you keep it / find it more useful? What happens when the tone pot is not in the circuit?

I’m curious, did you follow through with this? What was the result? I’m interested for the exact reason and tried to tinker a few times but couldn’t figure out how to wire it up. I even considered having the volume control only the neck and have the bridge at full output all the time so I could keep the tone control but I’m more of a follower and can’t figure out how to wire it without a proper diagram/instruction. Might have to take it to someone for once...

The interesting thing is that if you asked me this question just two years ago, I would have certainly answered yes, I’d prefer two volume knobs over a master volume and master tone control layout. However, I’ve since started using the tone control more often and would never be satisfied with its absence. So, no, I currently would not like the 2vol layout one bit. Because I much prefer 1 vol/1 tone over the 2vol.

Here are my preferences for a guitar with two pickups:

2vol/2tone > 2vol/1tone > 1vol/2tone > 1vol/1tone > 2vol > 2tone

The interesting thing is that if you asked me this question just two years ago, I would have certainly answered yes, I’d prefer two volume knobs over a master volume and master tone control layout. However, I’ve since started using the tone control more often and would never be satisfied with its absence. So, no, I currently would not like the 2vol layout one bit. Because I much prefer 1 vol/1 tone over the 2vol.

Here are my preferences for a guitar with two pickups:

2vol/2tone > 2vol/1tone > 1vol/2tone > 1vol/1tone > 2vol > 2tone

Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't see the point of any of them. Mine all just stay on 10. Kill switch is the volume pedal.

Play loud or go home. Tone come from the amp.

I'll take my well-deserved beating now....

I don't see the point of any of them. Mine all just stay on 10. Kill switch is the volume pedal.

Each to their own... I know quite a few guitarists that have everything set to max and use pedals to shape their tone and provide a boost. There is nothing wrong with that approach at all and for a lot, this is exactly the way they prefer to play.

The way I set my guitar and Amp up though suits me. As I said, if I roll off the tone and volume on the guitar, then EQ my amp to get the 'tone' I want (which can be the same tone if I maxed out my tone/volume on my guitar so still gives me that 'tone'), I then have the ability to roll off the tone more or act like a Treble boost pedal without the need to stomp on a switch and I have the option to clean up my tone by rolling back the volume but also 'boost' it - again without needing a pedal to do so.

I much prefer having both dual tone and volume pots which enable more options - especially in the middle position with both Humbuckers engaged. The ability to blend the two together as well as blend the tonal qualities of each is far more versatile and more varied than having just a Master tone and Master Volume. I love just plugging straight into an Amp, no pedals in between, and using both Tone and Volume controls to go from clean to dirty as well as shaping the tone. Its a lot of fun to experiment with, especially with independent tone and volume controls and the different blends you can get in the middle position.

At the end of the day though, it really comes down to the player. If they can do everything they want, they need without ever touching the tone/volume pots, so be it - as long as they are happy and enjoying playing, nothing else matters.

Primitivism has it's place.

Back