Anyone find 2 volumes more useful than vol/tone?

I don't really get the icepick effect, though maybe with the 2204 I will. Although @Mozzi has a cool idea using the same philosophy of setting an amp with guitar volume at 6/7 and applying that to the tone pot settings as well.

I couldn't do without a Tone pot. I tend to use mine as a Treble boost so set up the EQ with the Tone rolled down a bit. I like being able to boost as well as roll down a bit. If you set everything with both the tone and volume on the guitar at max, the only option is to 'remove' because you have no where to go with the pots but down. If everything is set with the Tone and volume at say 6, you can still roll down both to good effect but you can also roll up both to give a volume and/or treble boost. I know some will just step on a pedal (or two) to do that for their solo but you can use your guitar too. This is why I prefer a master Tone and master Volume to having independent Volume controls for both PU's but no Tone control at all. I could happily manage with two volumes and a single master tone but I wouldn't want to give up the Tone control totally.

The Concentric Volume Pot idea seems like a good one. On a Cu24, for example, that has just a master Volume and master Tone, I would be happier with the Concentric pot to control the volume independently for each PU and actually wouldn't mind having something similar for the Tone controls. The top part for the Neck Volume and Tone with the bottom, wider ring controlling the Tone and Volume for the bridge. In an ideal world for me, I would have have a separate Tone and Volume for each Pick-up but if I had to compromise, have either a Master Tone or a master Volume, I think I would prefer a master Tone but I certainly wouldn't want to be without a tone pot. I think its an under utilised and undervalued tool for a guitarist ...

Without a “tone” pot, .......... the sound would be lifeless, as there would be no tone. :D

I don't really get the icepick effect, though maybe with the 2204 I will. Although @Mozzi has a cool idea using the same philosophy of setting an amp with guitar volume at 6/7 and applying that to the tone pot settings as well.

I set my amps up with the guitar volume 5-7 and tone around 6-8 also. Kind of an old-school thing, and really gives you lots of tone colors just by fiddling with the guitar knobs.

I couldn't do without a Tone pot. I tend to use mine as a Treble boost so set up the EQ with the Tone rolled down a bit. I like being able to boost as well as roll down a bit. If you set everything with both the tone and volume on the guitar at max, the only option is to 'remove' because you have no where to go with the pots but down. If everything is set with the Tone and volume at say 6, you can still roll down both to good effect but you can also roll up both to give a volume and/or treble boost. I know some will just step on a pedal (or two) to do that for their solo but you can use your guitar too. This is why I prefer a master Tone and master Volume to having independent Volume controls for both PU's but no Tone control at all. I could happily manage with two volumes and a single master tone but I wouldn't want to give up the Tone control totally.

The Concentric Volume Pot idea seems like a good one. On a Cu24, for example, that has just a master Volume and master Tone, I would be happier with the Concentric pot to control the volume independently for each PU and actually wouldn't mind having something similar for the Tone controls. The top part for the Neck Volume and Tone with the bottom, wider ring controlling the Tone and Volume for the bridge. In an ideal world for me, I would have have a separate Tone and Volume for each Pick-up but if I had to compromise, have either a Master Tone or a master Volume, I think I would prefer a master Tone but I certainly wouldn't want to be without a tone pot. I think its an under utilised and undervalued tool for a guitarist ...

This. Old School, infinite tone and color shaping. I’d be lost doing things any other way.

I’ve posted demos in the past where I’ve gotten various shades of overdrive and tone color just using the volume and tone controls, making no changes to the amp whatsoever. It’s especially easy to use this technique with responsive amps like the HXDA and DG30, and honestly, as single-channel amps, it’d be a shame not to use them the old-school way.

whenever a guitar doesn’t sound right, usually some jazzbo has turned the tone down to nothing, so you have to either turn the knob back up or add tone back in at the effects loop. same way john mayer does on his latest tour with phlo and eddie and mickey dolenz.

Oh big yes! I play metal. I don't need a tone pot!

On my experimental Epi Spec II, I had a bucker size P-94 on the neck to a 500k vol pot and a Gibson Dirty Fingers inspired humbucker on the bridge to a 1 meg no load pot. It has a 3 way toggle. If I turn down the vol of the other pickup, I can use the toggle as a kill switch. That guitar was awesome!

If you want to hear how the guitar sounds, let me know so I can post the YouTube link. I got flamed here for posting a non-PRSi.

Last edited:
I like a tone knob in that configuration BUT what you could do is 2 volumes and if you didn't use the switch a lot, wire it to 3 different value tone circuits or 2 values and one being a bypass then use the volumes to variably select either pickup.

I have an SE Custom 22 with 2 volumes and one tone and find myself blending more that selecting. It offers a lot of tonal variation.

Back