Anyone ever put P-90's in their Vela?

Freshante

I've had a S2 Vela Semi-Hollow for about 4 months now, and I love it. My question is I'm not sure if I like the pick ups enough to not change them to P-90's. Anyone ever add P-90's to their Velas? Was it difficult (if I did this I would probably get a local tech to do it, so the pick guard cutting looks right)? How does it sound? I don't currently have a P-90 guitar, but I used to have a 1969 SG Special, and I loved it (long story why I don't have that anymore). I'm new to forums, but I did search for this question, so please be gentle if this has been asked before. Thanks!

Interesting thought! I have a Vela but have not done any pickup stuff. If I were you I'd get another pick guard and electronics then wire up the new guard with the P90.

Then its just a matter of swapping pick guards and you're not messing up the original or breaking the original solder connections except the bridge ground wire.

If it doesn't sound great then sell the loaded pickgaurd.

Its too early on Christmas Eve and this really got my juices flowing. I hope some else will chime in!

The pickup routes might be an issue. The neck pickup is pretty much spot on for a mini humbucker or firebird pickup. Bridge is a traditional humbucker size. Neither stock pickup is as wide as a P90, so I’d be interested to see what ‘route’ you take here.

I think it'd be a pretty cool thing to try, and easier if you get a humbucker sized P-90 where one would fit.

I've had an all-mahogany P-90 guitar since 1967, and it's certainly a classic sound.

For a short time PRS made a Mira with P-90s, and I thought it sounded pretty darn nice!

Love me some P90s. I'd be tempted to leave the Vela as is and get a P90 based guitar, but that's just me.
Yeah, I’m actually in line to get a Revstar with P-90’s. About an hour after I posted this question I was already changing my mind. Still interested if someone else does it, and what the sound/feel is like.

Love me some P90s. I'd be tempted to leave the Vela as is and get a P90 based guitar, but that's just me.
That's me exactly! All my Vela needs is a new tone pot. Other than that it's perfect.

I have a P 90 equipt guitar and it's a different beast. Love what I call the "lower end snark."

Lindy Fralin makes badazz sounding P-92’s that drop right into a humbucker route. I’ve been thinking about getting a 24 fret S2 and dropping a set in. Unfortunately no Standard made in Blue…….

I just did it a few weeks ago. The neck pickup cavity is routed to fit a humbucker so any humbucker sized P-90 will do the trick. I went with Harmonic Design Z90’s. Sounds incredible and didn’t lose the Vela mojo.

I just did it a few weeks ago. The neck pickup cavity is routed to fit a humbucker so any humbucker sized P-90 will do the trick. I went with Harmonic Design Z90’s. Sounds incredible and didn’t lose the Vela mojo.
Pics and sound clips please? And where did you get a HH vela pickguard?

I’m too stubborn to start an Imgur account or whatever you have to do just to post pics here but if you’re in the PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide group on Facebook, I posted a pic there. Might be this weekend before I can record a sound clip.
<——that’s a pic of it right there though
Oh and I got the pickguard from Pickguard Planet but only because Quick Guards was so backed up they stopped taking orders. If you’re going down this road, don’t order from Pickguard Planet without very specific instructions that when they cut the neck pickup hole they need to expand the stock hole towards the neck, not towards the bridge. They messed up on mine (not totally their fault, they just made an incorrect assumption). The bridge side of the neck pickup has to be in the same spot, the side of the pickup closest to the neck must be closer to the neck than the stock pickup so there’s less space in between the pickup and the edge of the fretboard. I had to modify my neck pickup cavity to make the pickguard work because I was too impatient to wait for another pickguard to be made and shipped out. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I’m too stubborn to start an Imgur account or whatever you have to do just to post pics here but if you’re in the PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide group on Facebook, I posted a pic there. Might be this weekend before I can record a sound clip.
<——that’s a pic of it right there though
Oh and I got the pickguard from Pickguard Planet but only because Quick Guards was so backed up they stopped taking orders. If you’re going down this road, don’t order from Pickguard Planet without very specific instructions that when they cut the neck pickup hole they need to expand the stock hole towards the neck, not towards the bridge. They messed up on mine (not totally their fault, they just made an incorrect assumption). The bridge side of the neck pickup has to be in the same spot, the side of the pickup closest to the neck must be closer to the neck than the stock pickup so there’s less space in between the pickup and the edge of the fretboard. I had to modify my neck pickup cavity to make the pickguard work because I was too impatient to wait for another pickguard to be made and shipped out. Hope that makes sense.
That’s fantastic info, thank you! I agree, would love to hear a sample of what it sounds like, or your best description or comparison to other p90 guitars!

I had these pickups in a CE-22 and they definitely sound different in the Vela. They were big and thick and clear in the CE-22, in the Vela they are lively and airy and chimey and have a bit more snarl. I also play a Les Paul Special from time to time and while the Vela is a bit closer in tone to that one to that one, it still has more chime and openness and liveliness.

I think that the pick guard will cover any routing necessary for true 90s to fit.

If that's the case...DO IT!!!!!

Then report back please!

Great guitar but totally different than a Vela. The bridge alone on the Vela makes it a totally different animal, not to mention the nitro finish.
Yeah they are very different. But putting P90's in a guitar like the Vela would require hacking up a valuable guitar and make it totally different as well.

Just offering an alternative.

Back