Anyone ever put P-90's in their Vela?

Yeah they are very different. But putting P90's in a guitar like the Vela would require hacking up a valuable guitar and make it totally different as well.

Just offering an alternative.

Understood. No hacking involved though as long as you go with humbucker-sized P-90’s like I did with mine. But ultimately it just depends on the type of guitar you’re looking for. I prefer the Vela, but I have absolutely nothing against the SE Soapbar. I still long for an SE One. One of these days.

I just prefer the thin semi hollow body feel with p-90’s, like the 69 SG Special I used to own, where the neck almost felt more substantial than the body, to get those slightly haunting chimey sounds. Though that may not sound like that, it will sound unique I’d guess.

I just prefer the thin semi hollow body feel with p-90’s, like the 69 SG Special I used to own, where the neck almost felt more substantial than the body, to get those slightly haunting chimey sounds. Though that may not sound like that, it will sound unique I’d guess.
Prior to getting this SE Singlecut Soapbar, most of my experience with P90's was with real 50's and very early 60's Les Paul Juniors. Had a few of them in the late 60's and early 70's. Both the single cutaway and the double cutaway versions.

Always thought Paul's early PRS designs were based on that double cutaway LP Jr. and Special.

Anyways, that's the sound I like.

Mississippi Queen.

I am new to posting so I can't add a link to where I did mine. I don't think. But the simple answer is, yes, it's very easy to put humbuckers/P90 humbucker sized pickups in the Vela. It's routed for dual full-size humbuckers from the factory and PRS sells replacement pickguards. So you can either cut your original pickguard or get a second and have both. Full size P90s would require routing the body. But the Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio humbucker P90s sound so good, there's no reason to do that. So fear not and have at it. I love my Vela way more after making the change. I highly recommend going for it.

Back