Anyone ever deal with a fractured scaphoid?

bluenova

Electrified since '84
Had a bad mountain bike wreck and ended with a broken scaphoid bone in my left hand. I’m a righty so this is my fretting hand and just wondering if anyone has gone through that and what the outcome on the other side was. Was there a loss of range of motion or was it 100% like it never happened? Thanx

Moto rider here. I know they make good gloves with protection in that area. Won't help this time but look into something like Knox Orsa gloves.

I had a distal fracture on my left (fretting) hand/thumb back in February as the result of a head on collision with another vehicle. I was playing bass within 2 weeks with minimal pain. But I don't use my thumb much for anything but neck support. I could play basic chords again on the guitar once the cast came off 4 weeks later. Unfortunately for me, I developed a very rare complication that i will have pain in my wrist and hand permanently. Playing doesnt cause the pain, but my hand tires faster than before, and I have lost some manual dexterity. I am not a great player anyway, so the world won't suffer on my account.

yhzLbRT.jpg

got screwed back together this morning. Was in the middle of the bone. Will look into those riding gloves. :cool:

When can we start the screw puns? I have a bunch already to go.:rolleyes::D
Never too early. In the 7th grade art class I was setting at the teachers desk with some other guys, and a really cute girl was working on her clay pot on a desk right next to me. She asked for a nail to mark into her clay. I opened the teacher's drawer and looked around. Then I innocently said, "can't find a nail, wanna screw?" She did not take it well. I even showed her the screw but it was too late...

Never too early. In the 7th grade art class I was setting at the teachers desk with some other guys, and a really cute girl was working on her clay pot on a desk right next to me. She asked for a nail to mark into her clay. I opened the teacher's drawer and looked around. Then I innocently said, "can't find a nail, wanna screw?" She did not take it well. I even showed her the screw but it was too late...
Literal laugh out loud

OBTW, do whatever PT tells you to do. It helped me so much. A little discomfort 30 minutes a day (3 days at home, 2 days in office) was worth it.

YES THIS! I stopped going to PT after probably three weeks, I felt it wasnt giving me anything. Now 7 years later after my surgery, I finally have full range of motion. But to OP, it hardly affected my playing. Just make sure you go to PT and do the exercises.

OBTW, do whatever PT tells you to do. It helped me so much. A little discomfort 30 minutes a day (3 days at home, 2 days in office) was worth it.

Thirded. Between the three of us, we've been to therapy so many times that they actually called my wife to check up on her. I think we've maxed out their post-therapy gifts several times over.

When can we start the screw puns? I have a bunch already to go.:rolleyes::D

He should have worn protection. Or a USC jersey - Trojans can prevent accidents.

Back