Anyone else here a smoker?

Just did a 14 lb brisket last weekend, turned out great. Are you doing a whole " packers" brisket or just a flat? The main thing is to keep the temp low, around 225, and cook slowly till the internal temp is around 190. I would also use real hardwood charcoal, and not the pressed briquettes. It will burn longer and give less ash. Also use a good rub, I use Texas BBQ grand champion rub. Happy smoking!

Just did a 14 lb brisket last weekend, turned out great. Are you doing a whole " packers" brisket or just a flat? The main thing is to keep the temp low, around 225, and cook slowly till the internal temp is around 190. I would also use real hardwood charcoal, and not the pressed briquettes. It will burn longer and give less ash. Also use a good rub, I use Texas BBQ grand champion rub. Happy smoking!

Good tip on the charcoal, I have a bag of it that I am going to use for the first time. I like the whole brisket and not just the flat. I like the big end cause I heard you cut it up and sauce it and grill it to make 'burnt ends' which I am dying to try. They taste great at the local BBQ place and I want to make my own.

I do like the occasional cigar :). But in terms of smoking meats, I'm a big a fan. My buddy and I have been really into for the past couple years or so. He has a Traeger pellet cooker, and I have a wood offset smoker plus a Weber Smoky Mountain. We both experiment in making our own rubs and trying out different liquids to spritz the meat. He occasionally injects on some meats, I rarely do. We haven't really tried making too many sauces yet as I don't really use it as a condiment. Love everything about smoking though, I just wish I had more time to do it.

I saw saw a guy online that when he wrapped the meat in foil to finish it put apple juice in with it to steam it a little and keep it moist, any of you do that or just use dry smoke?

I do that. I tend to use apple cider vinegar instead. Doesn't really matter, I just use it to spritz on the pork before I wrap it or after I unwrap. Just keeps things nice and moist. I have tried some hot sauce too which actually can work well.

BBQ makes my guts all smokey. I want to like it more, but I feel weird all day after eating it.

So today was a great day with the smoker. Used real wood charcoal briquettes and some apple wood chunks in the Weber to do some ribs. The real wood charcoal was a lot easier to keep a consistent temp with, good tip.

This pic is after four hours at 250 degrees, then I foil wrapped them with apple juice in the foil package and cooked em in the smoker for another two hours.....they were fork tender and the meat fell off the bones. Used a store bought rub and added some dried garlic to it.......oh yeah! Going to experiment with different rubs but the timing and technique is just what I want and they come out slammin!

I'm kind of fond of the Famous Dave's rubs and seasoning. Not to mention their sauce (Devil's Spit and Wilbur's Revenge, blended).

Back