Anyone else have a "Prototype" pickup? E-Rock Special #3

67King

According to the local rep, this is Paul's handwriting. I got the guitar used, it is a 2002 CE22. Prior owner didn't know anything about it. Local store has a great manager who checked out the guitar for me, and contacted PRS about the pickup. Not sure what it is, and other than "sometimes stuff used to get out," we don't know much about it. Modcat and the case candy both say it came with Dragon II's. But the bridge pickup is something labled as an "ERock Special" and the #3, according to the rep, is likely analogous to a S/N. In other words, this is the 3rd one (out of ? many).

Do'nt have a way to host pics. Guitar is a 2002 CE22, turquoise. Just curious to know how unusual this is.

A proto pup should be a rare thing...

Even if you swap it out for something else that might sound better to you, hold on to that pup and gather as much documentation as you can on it?

Super cool!

I have a 57/08 set that was rumored by the previous owner to be a prototype sent to an artist while they were fine tuning them. "Unetched" mojo, so they say. Is it true? I dunno, they sound darn good though.

What's your impression of this Erock Special?

Can you post a couple of photos?

Will try to get one of the whole guitar (it is flippin' beautiful) when I get a chance. But here are the pickup and Modcat stickers.

IVC3fvF.jpg

CIk7OQY.jpg

What's your impression of this Erock Special?

Its okay. Actually, for the right scenario, it is awesome. To be honest, I lucked into this guitar. Had a Tele (58RI) I was just not happy with, though for what I paid, it was a steal. Found a guy with this guitar, he wasn't happy, so we swapped even. At any rate, I generally find the PAF's in Gibsons to be what I really like - your 57/08's are probably in line with what I generally enjoy (have Gibson 57's in both SG's, and SD 59's in my Les Paul). Was hoping to get mroe of a single coil sound with the splits, but it jsut isn't the real thing, you know? At any rate, this guitar sounds great for some bar chord like rhythm stuff, like Stones or even some of Rich's stuff in the earlier Black Crowes. The sustain isn't there, but that's a good thing AFAIAC for rhythm. But overall, I think it is a higher output pickup than my typical preference.

So I'm guessing not many others have seen proto's then? Anyway, here's a shot of the guitar, itself.
CbOETIv.jpg

According to the MODCAT, that guitar shipped with Dragon II pickups. The photo of the pickup looks legit, but my best guess is that it was something an employee made and not an "official" PRS release. What's up with the lead wires? Are they coming out near the leg of the pickup or is that just the way the photo makes it appear?

According to the MODCAT, that guitar shipped with Dragon II pickups. The photo of the pickup looks legit, but my best guess is that it was something an employee made and not an "official" PRS release. What's up with the lead wires? Are they coming out near the leg of the pickup or is that just the way the photo makes it appear?

Just the photo.

Paperwork also says it shipped with D2's. Which to me just seems really weird. Almost makes one think it was changed after the fact (as well as lack of chrome coverll. But that seems even more unlikely.

Just the photo.

Paperwork also says it shipped with D2's. Which to me just seems really weird. Almost makes one think it was changed after the fact (as well as lack of chrome coverll. But that seems even more unlikely.

It's hard to say. That guitar was made when I was sanding bodies in the wood shop, I used to work with Pete (PWII). :)

I got into an argument with a seller on ebay concerning the first M pickups I bought.

The wires did not exit through the hole in the metal base of the pickup but rather out the side. I was sure the seller jacked with the pickups in some way. He got really pissed at me and stopped responding.

I later learned that's the way M pickups are.

Back