Anyone care about the new iphone or apple watch?

Les, everything I said was not only true, but the tip of the iceburg. I said most of my issues were with iTunes, but many times it caused problems with the hardware (Disappearing songs, albums, etc). In multiple Tech forums and even at The Gear Page there are huge threads which eventually get shut down because of the fighting over this topic... the apple boys insist its all user error, while experienced computer users have issue after issue. I must have misunderstood the "anyone care" in the thread title to be open to those who do and those who don't. But OK. I won't say anything else about it. :cool: After this:

I bet if you had multiple issues with a recording software and it was brought up here, you'd let EVERYONE know. If you had the issues I'd had, and spent hours and hours trying to fix screwups caused by software, and when seeking assistance you found many many others having the same other other issues, and then when you said something about it, you were told not to rag on Apple... I'm pretty sure I know what your response would be. ;) And it probably wouldn't be....
DTR/out

I don't purchase my phones, they are a work requirement and the boss is a fanboi of Apple. I recently got an X after several years with a 6. At my age, it's pretty much all cosmetic as like said, I don't spend my money on the device nor the plan. "Your phone is too old, get thee to the ATT store for an X today", is basically the order. I like the X just fine but I bet I don't use a sixteenth of it's capability and there are things I probably will never discover about it, but it is what it is. My lady is a Samsung girl, I got her an S-9 recently and she loves it, but they seem delicate. Our cat knocked it off the coffee table and something started rattling around inside and it would not make calls. Sprint to the rescue, she took it in, they ordered a new waterproof seal and the part, whatever it was, and reinstalled it and it's fine. I've dropped iPhones in a hard case from 25 ft and the device lived to tell the tale...

Apple does the hardware thing right. It nearly tanked them in the beginning, but the model has proven effective. Developing on their platform has made me more happy with them over Android, though we deploy on both platforms. Apple’s system, is more polished. Regardless, I’m holding onto my 6S until stability dips sharply.

Btw, the face recognition system works well but personally, I like fingerprints more for biometric auth. It’s easier in the car. Otherwise, programmatically, they both work identically, which made it easier to manage the iOS upgrade path.

Developing on Apple is why I switched. A bank approached us to build an app. Same app for twelve branches. The only difference was the branding and note that the branding was the same quality/size/format. Only the visual was different, as instead of Bank A it said Bank B. Seven of twelve were approved. The other five were denied, each for varying reasons. If you've ever dealt with Apple in this regard you know they don't simply say here's why your app was denied. They point you to documentation and give you a cryptic reply. In short, they remaining five never got on the AppStore. Crazy.

How about that new apple car? Just kidding well sort of.

I do like apple car play. It makes things easier. Apple was reported to consideration in the automotive industry but apparently they gave that up and want to focus on platforms (probably expanded upon Car Play) using the new augmented Reality they added. Who knows what the future brings but Id rather not drive a phone or laptop with wheels. Even if it drives itself. He He.

Apple-Car-Concept-739875.jpg

I tried iTunes years ago. After getting up off the floor from rolling around laughing/crying I never touched it again.
I used to care deeply about phone/OS choice but don't really care anymore.
I'm an Android user. I like the fact I can stick a SD card in it and have all my tunes on that.
I like the fact I can run wired or wireless headphones.
I like that I can plug it in to my PC and drag/drop files of any type.
I like the developer options.
I like the way beta apps are handled, and I like the ability to sideload .apk/apps in order to beta test apps at work.
I like the file management.

I also like that we all have choices, and we get to use what serves us best, and/or what we like.

I tried iTunes years ago. After getting up off the floor from rolling around laughing/crying I never touched it again.
I used to care deeply about phone/OS choice but don't really care anymore.
I'm an Android user. I like the fact I can stick a SD card in it and have all my tunes on that.
I like the fact I can run wired or wireless headphones.
I like that I can plug it in to my PC and drag/drop files of any type.
I like the developer options.
I like the way beta apps are handled, and I like the ability to sideload .apk/apps in order to beta test apps at work.
I like the file management.

I also like that we all have choices, and we get to use what serves us best, and/or what we like.

I'm with you!

Sometimes it astounds me what slips through the cracks, especially when I'm doing the slipping (best not to ask why I had to ask for help finding the new Bonamassa CD at Target today, only to find it on the shelf I'd just looked at).

My son got the XS today. Connected it to his computer to restore the backup from his old phone, and got an error message - he didn't have permission to connect to the phone. Turns out that he needed the latest version of iTunes - which wasn't in the App Store yet. He had to go to the web site to download it. That's one of those things you'd think any big company would be on for a major release like this.

Les, everything I said was not only true, but the tip of the iceburg. I said most of my issues were with iTunes, but many times it caused problems with the hardware (Disappearing songs, albums, etc). In multiple Tech forums and even at The Gear Page there are huge threads which eventually get shut down because of the fighting over this topic... the apple boys insist its all user error, while experienced computer users have issue after issue. I must have misunderstood the "anyone care" in the thread title to be open to those who do and those who don't. But OK. I won't say anything else about it. :cool: After this:

I bet if you had multiple issues with a recording software and it was brought up here, you'd let EVERYONE know. If you had the issues I'd had, and spent hours and hours trying to fix screwups caused by software, and when seeking assistance you found many many others having the same other other issues, and then when you said something about it, you were told not to rag on Apple... I'm pretty sure I know what your response would be. ;) And it probably wouldn't be....
DTR/out

DTR, I wasn’t telling you how to express yourself, that’s your business, not mine. Of COURSE you should say what’s on your mind! Just don’t expect everyone to agree. And as you need to say your piece, I need to state mine.

However, my little exposition was only about my own experience.

Incidentally, I’m using the public beta of Mac OS 10.14 Mojave on my studio’s late 2013 model computer, and I’ve tested all of my plugins, etc., with it. Only one plugin synth is a little buggy. All the other plugins work great (Waves, Plugin Alliance, UAD, Softube, SoundToys, u-He, XILS Lab, Serum, Native Instruments, Arturia, etc. ). For me that’s more evidence, if any is needed, that constant hardware upgrades aren’t necessary as some folks claim.

For the record, the only plugin I have that isn’t working is the Pulsar P-900 Modular; it gets buggy after a few preset changes. I’m sure they’ll update it.

In recent years I bought my first and only Apple product (an iPad Air2). It took a long time to talk myself into making that investment because it was expensive and i needed to have a plan for what sort of things I would use it for in order to justify the cost.

I'm happy with taking an iPad on vacation with me instead of a laptop so I can check my email and surf the web in my hotel rooms. It was especially nice when I was able to use it as an emergency backup GPS when my Garmin suddenly failed. (I was offroad in the middle of the Arizona desert and I hit a bump so hard that it konked out my Garmin.)

But... I am also a privacy advocate and somewhat savvy with cyber security, and imho iPhones and iPads are an epic fail in that arena. This is because ANYTHING you film, photograph, record or save to an Apple device goes to this thing they call a cloud. In other words, a cloud really like a huge community thumb drive in the sky where everyone's personal stuff is all saved in the same place, which means that EVERYONE on the planet (including actual people who work at Apple) can access all your stuff (if you know how to do it) and do with it what they will. But most people aren't concerned with privacy and feel that "well, no one wants to look at my stuff anyway". Good for you... go in peace and be happy. I on the other hand feel that my recordings are proprietary, top secret and don't want to have to deal with tracking down unauthorized copies of my stuff on hacker web sites and threatening them with lawyers to take down my copyright protected data. Been there, done that. Not fun. Even if I turn off th iCloud, my iPad will not allow me to transfer my data off an Apple device to a safer storage medium. Everything must go out into the open Internet and then be returned to me after big brother has had an opportunity to filter through it all. (Ever wonder how private photos of Jennifer Lawrence got on the Internet? She didn't send them to anyone.)

So, no, I am never buying another Apple device unless I am replacing my current hotel room iPad GPS buddy. I'm in the process of migrating my workflow over to new gear to do my video and audio recording.

In recent years I bought my first and only Apple product (an iPad Air2). It took a long time to talk myself into making that investment because it was expensive and i needed to have a plan for what sort of things I would use it for in order to justify the cost.

I'm happy with taking an iPad on vacation with me instead of a laptop so I can check my email and surf the web in my hotel rooms. It was especially nice when I was able to use it as an emergency backup GPS when my Garmin suddenly failed. (I was offroad in the middle of the Arizona desert and I hit a bump so hard that it konked out my Garmin.)

But... I am also a privacy advocate and somewhat savvy with cyber security, and imho iPhones and iPads are an epic fail in that arena. This is because ANYTHING you film, photograph, record or save to an Apple device goes to this thing they call a cloud. In other words, a cloud really like a huge community thumb drive in the sky where everyone's personal stuff is all saved in the same place, which means that EVERYONE on the planet (including actual people who work at Apple) can access all your stuff (if you know how to do it) and do with it what they will. But most people aren't concerned with privacy and feel that "well, no one wants to look at my stuff anyway". Good for you... go in peace and be happy. I on the other hand feel that my recordings are proprietary, top secret and don't want to have to deal with tracking down unauthorized copies of my stuff on hacker web sites and threatening them with lawyers to take down my copyright protected data. Been there, done that. Not fun. Even if I turn off th iCloud, my iPad will not allow me to transfer my data off an Apple device to a safer storage medium. Everything must go out into the open Internet and then be returned to me after big brother has had an opportunity to filter through it all. (Ever wonder how private photos of Jennifer Lawrence got on the Internet? She didn't send them to anyone.)

So, no, I am never buying another Apple device unless I am replacing my current hotel room iPad GPS buddy. I'm in the process of migrating my workflow over to new gear to do my video and audio recording.

You can't transfer your stuff via iTunes and a cable? I say this while fully admitting I have not connected my iPad to a computer to do this - I've done anything like that via the cloud.

I bought my iPad Pro in large part to use controlling Logic and Pro Tools while recording (Logic has worked great, Pro Tools never - haven't gotten that one there). We'd originally talked about replacing our ancient Macbook w/another laptop, but I've been using the iPad for e-mail, browsing, etc. Now I find it hard to convince myself I have a need to buy another laptop - not saying I won't, just haven't been able to convince myself it's necessary.

You can't transfer your stuff via iTunes and a cable? I say this while fully admitting I have not connected my iPad to a computer to do this - I've done anything like that via the cloud.
I transfer to my iPhone/iPad via iTunes and a cable. I transfer from my iThings to my PC via a cable, but not using iTunes. It was very straight forward prior to OS11. It is a bit of a pain with the current OS.

You can't transfer your stuff via iTunes and a cable?

Only photos you shoot with the iPad. No data files of any kind. The operating system is deliberately set up to prohibit that action.

When it comes to phones I go cheapest android I can, phones get beat up/etc, and I don't do much but call people or get directions.
When it comes to computers, I'm Apple all the way, never let me down, rarely ever got a virus, I can't say I've had any real problems ........ ever.

As for watches ......... ahh ...... nope. I'll leave that stuff to Dick Tracy.

digging the new phone so far! Probably didn't "need" an upgrade but hey, we're all junkies here

When it comes to computers I'm Apple all the way (as in four Macs in the house and another three out on loan to friends and relatives) but I find that I just cannot stand the IOS used on iPads and iPhones. The thing just insists on doing things Apple's way and will not let me do things my way (positioning icons on the screen for example) so for phone and tablet I use Android devices (Motorola phone and Tab 4 Plus, both from Lenovo). My wife and daughter are happy with their iPads and iPhones.

Back