Anyone care about the new iphone or apple watch?

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
I get an new iphone every few years. I don't usually care about the announcements until the year that I feel like I "need" an upgrade. Then I usually geek-out and stalk rumors, forums and official announcements obsessively.

It's the same sort of compulsion that compels my guitar internet habits. My last iphone rumor binge was 2015 when the 6s was announced.

Anyway, I felt I deserved a new iphone Xs Max in their new shiny gold color. Never liked gold before, because it was accompanied by a white face. Not this year, black and gold.

I have the X. It’s nice, but if I had known how expensive it was I probably would’ve used that money for another PRS.

The wife has a watch... I don’t think that highly of it but she likes it.

No. I'm into technology, but don't geek out on, or blow money on the latest/greatest cell phones. In fact, I sort of dislike Apple for the fanboyism that has made them so filthy rich.

The iPhone and iPad I have now may be the last Apple devices I ever own. If not for FaceTime with my daughter and grandson I'd be Apple free already.

I’ll skip this generation of phone. By the next one I might be ready for a replacement.
I don’t have any near term interest in the watch. I’m pretty sure I would either forget to put it on or smash it to bits, neither of which gets me much value.

No. I'm into technology, but don't geek out on, or blow money on the latest/greatest cell phones. In fact, I sort of dislike Apple for the fanboyism that has made them so filthy rich.

The iPhone and iPad I have now may be the last Apple devices I ever own. If not for FaceTime with my daughter and grandson I'd be Apple free already.

My Apple experience has been overwhelmingly positive.

I’ve been an Apple fan since my first iPhone. The real foundation of my love for Apple is my 2013 MacBook though. Never had a problem with it. I could count the number of times it has “frozen” on two hands. Can’t say the same for any other brand of computer I used before, or have used since. Same with my phone. I got sick of Apple running the smartphone market around 2012, and I tried a Samsung. Didn’t make it through the 30-day return period.

Still on a 6 plus and so far none of the new ones are making me have to run out and buy one. Prices don’t necessarily scare me just that the are not enough of a leap past mine to do it. I do like the 4K recording ability though.

I’ll skip this generation of phone. By the next one I might be ready for a replacement.
I don’t have any near term interest in the watch. I’m pretty sure I would either forget to put it on or smash it to bits, neither of which gets me much value.

Yeah I haven’t had a good reason to want a smart watch either. In the same boat.

I love mobile tech, but I'm rocking Google's offerings in this space and have been some time. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Apple makes gnarly good stuff, though.

I like the tech in the iThings, but the upgrade treadmill gets old really fast. I don't like the Face ID thing at all and keep wanting a smaller form factor rather than bigger (the iPhone 4S was the perfect size and shape). My iPhone 6 is starting to get clobbered by newer apps at the same time that Apple's newestest and shiniestest gets announced... and of course they're doubling down on the features I don't like with their newest offerings. I may buy an iPhone 8 now that I know what the future holds.

I like the tech in the iThings, but the upgrade treadmill gets old really fast. I don't like the Face ID thing at all and keep wanting a smaller form factor rather than bigger (the iPhone 4S was the perfect size and shape). My iPhone 6 is starting to get clobbered by newer apps at the same time that Apple's newestest and shiniestest gets announced... and of course they're doubling down on the features I don't like with their newest offerings. I may buy an iPhone 8 now that I know what the future holds.

I’m with you. I liked fingerprint a lot. Not sure I’m a fan of faceid

... and of course they're doubling down on the features

The most annoying is Apple Pay, I refused to use it and had a permanent notification on my phone for 8 months. There was no way to decline the option besides trying to ignore it, and it would give you a reminder every time you powered up.

They finally got me today because my wife insisted we get a family Apple Music account just so I could make an EW&F playlist for our wedding/cocktail party/reception this Friday.

$15 a month to listen to EW&F and Gap Band.

I’m with you. I liked fingerprint a lot. Not sure I’m a fan of faceid

It’s not too bad. I was uneasy feeling about the camera always being on, but then I gave up and realized I’m basically under surveillance 24-7 from my toaster and cable remote anyway.

Apple does the hardware thing right. It nearly tanked them in the beginning, but the model has proven effective. Developing on their platform has made me more happy with them over Android, though we deploy on both platforms. Apple’s system, is more polished. Regardless, I’m holding onto my 6S until stability dips sharply.

Btw, the face recognition system works well but personally, I like fingerprints more for biometric auth. It’s easier in the car. Otherwise, programmatically, they both work identically, which made it easier to manage the iOS upgrade path.

Apple fan here. Not likely to get one of the new phones any time soon because I just updated from a 6 to the X in May. I did the upgrade plan thing this time, so it’s possible, but we’ll see. Not happening right away, though. My son did order the XS. He hasn’t upgraded in a couple years, though - think he’s running a 7 now.

My wife has an Apple Watch. Loves it. I’m thinking that might be a possibility for me. But the next thing for sure is another iPod Touch (before they disappear). I have an 80G iPod, and I missed out getting a 160G before they were discontinued. The 80 is showing its age, and I want to have a replacement on hand. I already have a 120G Touch, but it doesn’t have enough room on it for what’s on the iPod.

I’m all in on Apple: MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch 3. No upgrade plans in the immediate future. I love the watch and the Apple Pay function. The watch is especially functional in the gym. With wireless headphones I can listen to music, audio book, collect my workout data and set timers for intervals simultaneously. I can, but don’t do calls, texts or emails during dedicated workout time.

My iPhone 7S is still going strong, so I'll continue to ride it out. Considering my 9 year old MacBook is still going strong, I may be with this 7S for a loooong time.

My iPhone 7S is still going strong, so I'll continue to ride it out. Considering my 9 year old MacBook is still going strong, I may be with this 7S for a loooong time.

Only 9? I think my first Mac - a Macbook - is something like 12. Still kicking. If my phone hadn't started acting up, I might still be riding the 6.

Back