Anyone add a second switch to an SE custom 24 to make it an "08"?

Porkchop61

Hi all, first post here.
I have an SE custom 24, not the "08" version. These have the one pull switch on the tone knob to split both coils at the same time. I like the switching arrangement on the 24-08 model (the two small toggles) so you can split the coils individually. Has anyone ever added a second pull switch to the volume knob to accomplish the same thing? I was thinking of doing this modification, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

On my SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, I added the two mini switches cause I'm not a fan of push/pulls.

full

I thought about doing the two mini's like the "08", but I figured since it already had one push/pull, I'd just add a second one.
I found the wiring diagram for my guitar. It looks like I just remove one of the pairs of wires (one for each pickup) from the existing switch, and move it to the new one. Pretty simple. I just have to find-out if the current volume knob is an audio or linear taper. I know its 500k.

BTW: My SE custom 24 is the Guitar Center version that has the ebony neck, quilted top, binding on the body and neck, and a color matched head stock. I couldn't pass it up for $60 more.

Thanks for the comments.

I don't have a Custom 24 (yet) but have been very interested and intrigued by everything about the guitar including pickup selection differences between models (SE, SE 24-08, CE, Core). I just stumbled on this video by JayLeonardJ and from everything I've learned and pieced together about guitar wiring this seems like a solid way to get some solid tonal variation with the use of a (5 way) blade switch and a single push pull tone. I would wire it a bit differently for each position but ultimately still be able to get 8 different sounds.

You can use a push pull for the volume. I personally don't care for it as I like the taper on core volume pots or RS guitarworks. But it can easily be done.

Hi all, first post here.
I have an SE custom 24, not the "08" version. These have the one pull switch on the tone knob to split both coils at the same time. I like the switching arrangement on the 24-08 model (the two small toggles) so you can split the coils individually. Has anyone ever added a second pull switch to the volume knob to accomplish the same thing? I was thinking of doing this modification, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Yes. I did that on my ‘16 SE. I’m pretty sure that this is the diagram I used.

Thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the existing wiring, and it’s pretty simple. Both pickup coil taps are just soldered to the
one push-pull switch (Duh). It’s just a matter of removing one (the neck pickup for me) and soldering it to the new volume
push-pull switch. I’m just trying to find-out if the existing volume pot (500k) is linear, audio, or maybe a special taper.
im looking at these:
The issue is that these are 3/8” shafts, and I think the existing pots are metric, and a little smaller.
I have to find some metric pots, with the same shaft diameter and spline size. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Thanks again ever.
Have a good holiday weekend!

Thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the existing wiring, and it’s pretty simple. Both pickup coil taps are just soldered to the
one push-pull switch (Duh). It’s just a matter of removing one (the neck pickup for me) and soldering it to the new volume
push-pull switch. I’m just trying to find-out if the existing volume pot (500k) is linear, audio, or maybe a special taper.
im looking at these:
The issue is that these are 3/8” shafts, and I think the existing pots are metric, and a little smaller.
I have to find some metric pots, with the same shaft diameter and spline size. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

Thanks again ever.
Have a good holiday weekend!
I’d vote get a hand reamer. Takes 1 min. Go slow. It’s simple and easy. Can easily install imperial size pots which are typically associated with better quality

Yup, hand reamer makes. Quick and simple job of it. You can apply painters tape to the reamer on the depth you want to to go. Go slow and it's still done with a quickness.

I've got a hand reamer for enlarging tuner holes. I should mention my background, I've been in this hobby since 1975 :)

I found a metric spec. push-pull 500k audio taper pot on Amazon with a 19mm mounting hole.
We'll see how how it works.

Should not be allowed LOL 2408 ownership is for a select group. Well,..........................................I suppose we could make an exception.

I received the metric pots from Amazon today. They look cheap, not like Alpha or Bournes, probably a Chinese product. I'll probably go with a good pot and just enlarge the holes as previously suggested.

If you have two on/on/on switches you can connect each humbucker in series, single or parallel.

I had a MIJ Strat with two humbuckers that I customized that way.

Parallel is a strong "single coil" like sound but it's humbucking.

The single coil sounds of a 90's PRS with a rotary switch and Dragon pickups is the sound of two coils in parallel.

Pete Thorn doesn't split the bridge humbucker on his guitar.

Instead he has a switch to put the coils in parallel.

Says he doesn't like the sound of a bridge humbucker split.

Too weak.

Last edited:
Back