Anyone add a middle single to an S2 Standard 24?

DesolationBlvd

Long time no see. About five years ago, I signed up here, really leaning towards a PRS for my next purchase. Then I ended up shifting to bass and getting a Rick 4001.

Now I'm in the middle of selling off gear to afford one last splurge, and PRS is my first choice.

Among the gear leaving will be a Strat. The 7 1/4" radius required a setup that wasn't as comfortable with my playing style. (Which also means the Silver Sky won't work for me.) I'm thinking that getting an S2 Standard 24 and then having it routed for a middle single would give me both the PRS humbucker sound and the Strat positions 2 and 4. Anyone else tried this, and if so, how was the position 2/4 once you added the pickup?

It seems an S2 will probably be good enough for me. A satin S2 (can't remember if it was the 22 or 24) was the guitar I demoed a Marshall Studio Vintage with before taking said amp home. The feel and quality was there on the guitar, I just didn't like the satin finish, so I'll spring for gloss.

However, I could always end up with more after everything sells, and get tempted by the CE or NOS Cu24 when I'm at Chuck's.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I'm leaning towards PRS over a superstrat (Ibanez/Jackson/Charvel/ESP) to replace my Strat, due to the scale length. I also see Chuck's has an S2 Studio in stock, which has the middle single like I want out of the box, but that's 22 frets (I'd prefer 24 with my first PRS), and the one in stock, I'm not sure about the frost blue.

If I do go S2 Standard and get the bridge single installed, the pickups will likely be upgraded to the \m/ set. I find a high output pickup is essential to get a good split tone - I found the Duncan Distortion and DiMarzio X2N gave a credible Strat sound when split, while the Gibson BurstBucker 3 and Epiphone stock pickup were too weak.

i think about doing this to my custom 22 often; cannot bring myself to do it — ‘you’d have to put a hole in the washtub!’

i think about doing this to my custom 22 often; cannot bring myself to do it — ‘you’d have to put a hole in the washtub!’
Ain't no hole in the washtub!

If the neck pickup on the S2 you have is split along with screw poles ... I will lower a neck pickup and raise the screw poles in a Strat stagger pattern then wire in a parallel mode in addition to series (3-way on/on/on switch can give you single/parallel/series option). This pickup height mod gives a good Strat single coil and a Quack #4 option. I've done the same with the bridge but usually flat across raised poles (some mid-scoop, more Tele or P90).

You might try that first before routing

The other thing to keep in mind ... a 24 fret will sound more like an SG and 22 like LP due to pickup placements.

An S2 Custom? I'd still consider installing a middle pickup if that's what I end up with. I'd just need to have the local guy make an oval plate like a Music Man to replace the pickup rings and use the old screw holes. It's not like I would be hacking out ten-top maple.

Get an S2 studio while they are still available?

Routing an S2 will not do good things for residual value. The studios will become rare and hold value, as well as being a keeper

Get an S2 studio while they are still available?

Routing an S2 will not do good things for residual value. The studios will become rare and hold value, as well as being a keeper
I just have to hope the S2 Studio is still at Chuck's - and speaks to me - once I have the cash ready. Getting an S2 Standard and having it modded is a backup plan.

An s2 would be the easiest to put a middle pickup in since there is plenty of flat area. Ive seen regular customs with the middle pickup added and it was just fine, the bare maple inside the rout was more visible than you might expect but black dye would fix that if you wish.

Larry sold me an S2 Studio at Chuck’s about 2 months ago. It was the frost blue. It needed a break in period, but then became an absolute tone monster. It’s the first guitar I look for when I’m going to play the blues. Surprisingly, I like the color more every day. After all, it is blue.

Back