Anybody seen a PRS 9 Prototype acoustic with dot inlay?

vintageaxe

Anybody seen a PRS 9 prototype acoustic with dot inlay before? I recently acquired one, but can't find info on them. Any help would be great!

This is the part where if you want informed answers, you provide a complete, accurate description of what you have with pictures....

Anybody seen a PRS 9 prototype acoustic with dot inlay before? I recently acquired one, but can't find info on them. Any help would be great!
The description isn’t familiar to me - in particular the 9 reference.

Pictures might help, so make a couple more posts and try to add a photo.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum.

The description isn’t familiar to me - in particular the 9 reference.

Pictures might help, so make a couple more posts and try to add a photo.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum.
Hey thanks! I will post some pics soon. Anyway when I googled I found this link:
www.tonymcmanus.com/?page_id=197
McManus/Ricky Skaggs interview...he mentioned these prototype "early" acoustic guitars, but unfortunately there are no photos shown.

The one McManus is playing looks somewhat similar, but doesn't have fretboard inlay..

Ok. I am familiar with some of the acoustics from that era. The 9 may just be prototype #9 while PRS was trying to get a good acoustic together but not in ‘mass’ production.
I remember them being very good guitars. Steve Fischer did a really nice job helping put together an acoustic on par with their electrics.
It should serve you well for a long time.
You may be able to learn more by contacting customer service and giving them the serial number. PRS records are pretty good from this time frame.

Ok. I am familiar with some of the acoustics from that era. The 9 may just be prototype #9 while PRS was trying to get a good acoustic together but not in ‘mass’ production.
I remember them being very good guitars. Steve Fischer did a really nice job helping put together an acoustic on par with their electrics.
It should serve you well for a long time.
You may be able to learn more by contacting customer service and giving them the serial number. PRS records are pretty good from this time frame.
Hey thanks again! You know when I got the guitar it's pretty beat up, lots of cracks and very dirty. After cleaning the back center strip inside I discovered "PRS 9" pressure-stamped there. There is no serial number on the headstock either, but I still need to clean it more... Another mystery is that it has a piezo pickup with 6 push-in push-out preamp control on the side upper bout with battery power on the butt end. The pre-amp holes on the side of the guitar don't look like symmetrical/precision cut, but the battery cavity is. Hmmm... so I wonder if the pickup was original, and I would like to think they are since this was the prototype PRS was experimenting. What do you think?

A PRS prototype is still generally a precision piece of equipment. I would expect symmetry in any cut they did, which suggests the upper bout stuff is after it left the factory.
Look for a sticker inside the guitar for the serial number. That where it is on my Angelus, though I think you would have noticed if one was there.
Hey thanks again! You know when I got the guitar it's pretty beat up, lots of cracks and very dirty. After cleaning the back center strip inside I discovered "PRS 9" pressure-stamped there. There is no serial number on the headstock either, but I still need to clean it more... Another mystery is that it has a piezo pickup with 6 push-in push-out preamp control on the side upper bout with battery power on the butt end. The pre-amp holes on the side of the guitar don't look like symmetrical/precision cut, but the battery cavity is. Hmmm... so I wonder if the pickup was original, and I would like to think they are since this was the prototype PRS was experimenting. What do you think?

Hey thanks! That's really cool! I'm trying to post some pics but I'm having trouble...
Maybe I need to post more threads?

You need to host them from a photo sharing site like Imgur. It's free. You upload you're picture there, and then you can copy/paste links to them into your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
A PRS prototype is still generally a precision piece of equipment. I would expect symmetry in any cut they did, which suggests the upper bout stuff is after it left the factory.
Look for a sticker inside the guitar for the serial number. That where it is on my Angelus, though I think you would have noticed if one was there.

You need to host them from a photo sharing site like Imgur. It's free. You upload you're picture there, and then you can copy/paste links to them into your post.
Hey thanks for your help! Will do that soon....

That is a really raw looking guitar.
There have to be some stories in its life.
That's right! Got more pics to post... Hang tight and let me know what you think.

Have you ever seen one like it?

Never seen one with a stamping like than inside. And the dots are interesting. Not common on the acoustics, even the prototypes...

The filth is interesting. Could it be one of the prototypes that was recovered from the flooded warehouse in Nashville, where a ton of artists lost a lot of their gear?

Other than that, it doesn't look like and PRS acoustic I've ever seen (and I've seen and played a ton of them, including those at PRS' house where Tony McManus and Ricky Skaggs played...)

Never seen one with a stamping like than inside. And the dots are interesting. Not common on the acoustics, even the prototypes...

The filth is interesting. Could it be one of the prototypes that was recovered from the flooded warehouse in Nashville, where a ton of artists lost a lot of their gear?

Other than that, it doesn't look like and PRS acoustic I've ever seen (and I've seen and played a ton of them, including those at PRS' house where Tony McManus and Ricky Skaggs played...)
Interesting isn't it?

https://imgur.com/mlUYyzw, https://imgur.com/pu86BhP, https://imgur.com/XReq2jB, https://i.imgur.com/XReq2jB.jpg

https://imgur.com/OyP0xza Can you dig it?!

https://imgur.com/d1snsAv

Back