Anybody put coil taps in the SE Hollowbody Piezo yet?

Also interested in doing this for my SE HBII! I also saw that someone added Languedoc wiring to their HB Standard,

So ...This question was asked months ago, and I gotta think somebody would have to know by now ! :)
I have ben lusting for a SE HB II in tri color for some time now ... The Planets have finally aligned properly, and according to FexEx ... I'll be in receipt tomorrow !:)

So ... I do have an SE Push/Pull layin' around , doing nothing ( I found I don't do Neck P/U splits much so it didn't get put my my SE 24 Korea . Had one installed in my other SE CU24, and find I only use the Bridge split)

So 'cmon , Somebody share their impressions of split 58/15S es in an SE Hollowbody :D

So ...This question was asked months ago, and I gotta think somebody would have to know by now ! :)
I have ben lusting for a SE HB II in tri color for some time now ... The Planets have finally aligned properly, and according to FexEx ... I'll be in receipt tomorrow !:)

So ... I do have an SE Push/Pull layin' around , doing nothing ( I found I don't do Neck P/U splits much so it didn't get put my my SE 24 Korea . Had one installed in my other SE CU24, and find I only use the Bridge split)

So 'cmon , Somebody share their impressions of split 58/15S es in an SE Hollowbody :D
I seem to remember someone trying this and the push/pull didn't fit in with the piezo board.

They ended up putting two mini toggles on the far side of the f holes and near the edge of the body to reduce strain on the top. Danged if I can find that thread though! It may even have been the PTC that did the mod.

OK...My Bad...

What I am asking here, is has anyone done the coil split regardless of method, on a SE Hollowbody ?

I'm wondering what it sounds like, as I know the 58/15S splits well on my S2 594 Thinline. Sounds great as the pickup seems to be able to support single coil operation, without sounding thin and weak . BUT one would never mistake it for a Tele or Strat single coil tone.

There are guys that say no split humbucker will sound as good as a good single coil when split. But I was intrigued by the Paul's SE TCI pickup in that it seemed to do a creditable job coil split....

Anyway, as of this moment, I KNOW how an SE Hollowbody II sounds with its 58/15's , and after a few minutes, I'm thinking I will ask my designated guitar tech about installing my spare push/pull in it ...;););););)

I need hearts emojis now as I am in rapture with my brand new SE HB II

Nothing like New Guitar Smell ;)

OK...My Bad...

What I am asking here, is has anyone done the coil split regardless of method, on a SE Hollowbody ?

I'm wondering what it sounds like, as I know the 58/15S splits well on my S2 594 Thinline. Sounds great as the pickup seems to be able to support single coil operation, without sounding thin and weak . BUT one would never mistake it for a Tele or Strat single coil tone.

There are guys that say no split humbucker will sound as good as a good single coil when split. But I was intrigued by the Paul's SE TCI pickup in that it seemed to do a creditable job coil split....

Anyway, as of this moment, I KNOW how an SE Hollowbody II sounds with its 58/15's , and after a few minutes, I'm thinking I will ask my designated guitar tech about installing my spare push/pull in it ...;););););)

I need hearts emojis now as I am in rapture with my brand new SE HB II

Nothing like New Guitar Smell ;)

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ There you go! I’ve been asking the same question. I know at least two or three people have done this mod, but no one seems to be piping up as to how it sounds! I have an SE HBII Piezo that I’m in love with. I’d like to go coil split with two mini-toggles and my tech says he can do it, but I’d like to know how it sounds before I have him do it. And funny you have the 594 Thinline…that’s the other PRS I’m interested in. What do you think about it? And congrats on your SE HB II!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ There you go! I’ve been asking the same question. I know at least two or three people have done this mod, but no one seems to be piping up as to how it sounds! I have an SE HBII Piezo that I’m in love with. I’d like to go coil split with two mini-toggles and my tech says he can do it, but I’d like to know how it sounds before I have him do it. And funny you have the 594 Thinline…that’s the other PRS I’m interested in. What do you think about it? And congrats on your SE HB II!

Hey CarolD, I absolutely love my 594 Thinline. When PRS introduced the S2 Mc Carty's , I was hot for the DC version, in Dark Cherry Burst. They are just beautiful.

But, as I guy I hate to admit, I am of the "small hands" variety, so I was put off but the Pattern Vintage neck carve.
Pattern Vintage is a chunky neck carve ...

The Thinline, aside from the cool 24.594" scale length they all have, has the Pattern Thin neck carve. Substantially not as chunky, but not as skinny depth wise as say a Wide Thin SE neck (and not as wide.) Even feels a bit rounded off on the edges compared to the SE). ("Rolled Fretboard edges ?) The "Pattern Thin" neck is very close to Fender's Deep C" neck carve (I have it on a Am Pro Jaguar, 24" scale) and I find it very comfortable

The Thinline, is probably my best fit of all my guitars. It is "petite". Not nearly as heavy as a Fender Jag (think Les Paul !) and the entire package with the 58/15's with the coil cuts installed is just super cool. AND she is a loud and bassy and any of the others !:)

You will probably love it ! The only thing I want on a Thinline, is a flamey/stripey maple veneer top (don't want to pork her up with a full cap ) Just want the look ! (I know its silly but , hey !):cool:

I recently fondled a McCarty 594 DC with the Pattern Vintage carve . See, I know the HB has the "Wide Fat", which stopped me... until I was able to fondle one locally. The Pattern Vintage is chunkier still ... But after messing with one in the local GC ... I was smitten ! Maybe on the way to becoming neck carve agnostic ???

So my early acquisition plan for 2022, will revolve around acting on the initial lust for a 594 DC in the Cherry, or ... Deciding that the HB is so different and so cool that I need another !!! ;)

UNLESS ... the Flamey/Stripey 594 Thinline is made available !!!!! (Sweetwater, Are you Listening ? A Dealer Special Offer ???):rolleyes:

Oh ... And Congrats on your Piezo. I know it is lovely !

Last edited:
Hey CarolD, I absolutely love my 594 Thinline. When PRS introduced the S2 Mc Carty's , I was hot for the DC version, in Dark Cherry Burst. They are just beautiful.

But, as I guy I hate to admit, I am of the "small hands" variety, so I was put off but the Pattern Vintage neck carve.
Pattern Vintage is a chunky neck carve ...

The Thinline, aside from the cool 24.594" scale length they all have, has the Pattern Thin neck carve. Substantially not as chunky, but not as skinny depth wise as say a Wide Thin SE neck (and not as wide.) Even feels a bit rounded off on the edges compared to the SE). ("Rolled Fretboard edges ?) The "Pattern Thin" neck is very close to Fender's Deep C" neck carve (I have it on a Am Pro Jaguar, 24" scale) and I find it very comfortable

The Thinline, is probably my best fit of all my guitars. It is "petite". Not nearly as heavy as a Fender Jag (think Les Paul !) and the entire package with the 58/15's with the coil cuts installed is just super cool. AND she is a loud and bassy and any of the others !:)

You will probably love it ! The only thing I want on a Thinline, is a flamey/stripey maple veneer top (don't want to pork her up with a full cap ) Just want the look ! (I know its silly but , hey !):cool:

I recently fondled a McCarty 594 DC with the Pattern Vintage carve . See, I know the HB has the "Wide Fat", which stopped me... until I was able to fondle one locally. The Pattern Vintage is chunkier still ... But after messing with one in the local GC ... I was smitten ! Maybe on the way to becoming neck carve agnostic ???

So my early acquisition plan for 2022, will revolve around acting on the initial lust for a 594 DC in the Cherry, or ... Deciding that the HB is so different and so cool that I need another !!! ;)

UNLESS ... the Flamey/Stripey 594 Thinline is made available !!!!! (Sweetwater, Are you Listening ? A Dealer Special Offer ???):rolleyes:

Oh ... And Congrats on your Piezo. I know it is lovely !

Crimes,

Thanks so much for this info! It’s so helpful. I had no idea the SE Wide Thin is thinner than the Pattern Thin. I absolutely hate the neck nomenclature that PRS uses…it makes no sense to me. And everything you’ve said about the thinline makes me want one even more, but I’m with you….I want a better looking finish. I’m hoping that one of the shops that always does custom runs will do a run of something really cool. I’d be first to pick up the phone and buy one! I did just get off the phone with my tech, too, and we decided to hold off on modifying the SEHB. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting another guitar and I can scratch that itch that way. Enjoy your guitars!

Crimes,

Thanks so much for this info! It’s so helpful. I had no idea the SE Wide Thin is thinner than the Pattern Thin. I absolutely hate the neck nomenclature that PRS uses…it makes no sense to me. And everything you’ve said about the thinline makes me want one even more, but I’m with you….I want a better looking finish. I’m hoping that one of the shops that always does custom runs will do a run of something really cool. I’d be first to pick up the phone and buy one! I did just get off the phone with my tech, too, and we decided to hold off on modifying the SEHB. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting another guitar and I can scratch that itch that way. Enjoy your guitars!

Carol D

Thanks for the kind words !

Just to make sure I did not mislead you .... From my take (no calipers, just the fretting hand) The SE Wide Thin is wider across the fretboard (from e to E ) but maybe a shade shallower than the Pattern Thin on the Thinline. I prefer the Pattern Thin more so than any PRS profile to date ... But I am gonna get next to the "Wide-Fat in the coming weeks. (on the HB II) As a US make the S2 Pattern Thin also had that "rolled fretboard edges" going on relative to the SE. But not as rolled as the used 513 that is the only Core I have spent time with (I dig the contours of the violin curve ,and the fretboard was definitely rolled))

As for finish... I do like translucent finishes where the wood grain is obvious . Hence the fascination for "flamey/stripey" ... BUT I have seen the Thinline in Tobacco (my choice) , the Mint Green and the Blue.

Much to my surprise, actually seeing the Green & Blue in the cellulose was an eye-opener, as both looked waaay better than the pictures, and to my surprise, I preferred the Mint Green (where Blue is one of my fav colors)

Had a neat glow about it ... Both opaque, but I wouldn't throw either outta my guitar rack !;)

I think the PRS Kool Aid Chefs will force us into a S2 594 DC for the Flamey / Stripey (more cash, more mass , and a different guitar) ... but I did come away digging it. If the Wide Fat on the HB is cool with you ... the Pattern Vintage is only a bit chunkier ...

Try to grab one for a test ride...

I'm gonna sneak you a private message , so as not to commit a Crime Against the Forum)

Yup, got you on the fretboards and that’s what I understood from your other post. I think I would like that wider but thinner profile of the wide thin. Wide fat is passable for me, but just barely. I definitely would not go with a pattern vintage guitar. I really need to go to a shop and sit and play a bunch of different PRS necks. It’s funny you mentioned the green thinline. I love green guitars and if I went stock, that would probably be the one I would get. I’m still hoping, though. But you might be right…the regular 594 has the extra 1/4 inch maple cap that they can put a finish on, so there’s that. But no reason they can’t put a beautiful veneer on the thinline! I just like everything about the thinline. My HBII tends to dig into my ribs a little bit and I’m liking the look of the lovely carves on the thinline….lol.

Back