Anybody modifying their PRS's? Here's one for you.

James-T

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Noteworthy-Light">

Hey folks - ignore the title the video stars a PRS axe.

Just wanted to share one of my PRS's to the group. I'm one of those folks who's always curious to how to make a stock guitar better.

I got this PRS Torero in a trade and its gone through several variations of being modified. I started by pulling out the EMG's and putting a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck position and a PRS Dragon II Treble at the bridge. I utilized the battery compartment and added a Wald Electronics preamp (req'ing a 9 volt battery!). I added two mini switches to toggle the coli splits on and off. And I blocked the Floyd Rose in the up position.

2ywiidt.jpg

Totally different instrument. I gigged with it a few times. I never really like the idea of the Floyd Rose and after weeks of research discovered Schaller makes a Vintage Tremelo that simply uses the FR posts. It was as easy as plug and play. My luthier did an amazing job putting a new nut in. I also swapped out the Dragon II for a Dimarzio Dual Sound. Good upgrade IMO. The Dragon II came out of my CU22. If anyone is looking for one send me a PM.

In the final iteration of modifications the guitar went under the knife! I had my luthier route in a single coil pocket between the two humbuckers. Currently I have a Dimarzio SDS-1. It really blends nicely with the other two pick-ups. It has its own dedicated 3-way switch. Up and its off, middle and its on with what ever the other two pups are doing and down its the only pickup on. The final mod was to sand off the poly finish on the neck. That took some guts but it plays fantastic!

205sf1u.jpg

29cnn61.jpg

I have to say what I really like about the basic platform of the Torero is the scale length, ebony fingerboard and through neck maple construction. MIK but its definitely PRS quality, and styling. This guitar has a real edge. Very metallic sounding. and crisp! I wish PRS would make a Torero geared to classic rockers, blues players and fusion players rather than just the metal crowd. Its a fantastic instrument.

Here's a youtube clip. Mostly the Torero but some comparisons with a really nice Stratocaster. Its a speaker shoot out but features the guitar nicely. Backing track is the Torero as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real eye opener for me in discovering PRS SE's, and i assume i'd feel at least the same with the USA ones, is the rarely felt feeling that it is perfectly fine stock. I'm still amazed about that. But i DID change a few things to my personal preferences. I disconnected the tone as i always do, added a slightly bigger treble bleed cap, (250pf) and the one i just did today is i pulled the pickups and added a wire to each for coil splitting. The tone pot was replaced with a 250k push/pull DPDT that splits them and the pot i use to balance between split and full if it's a bit too much at times. This is one mod i can't be w/o on a 2 HB guitar. Even tho the santana does cleaner chimey tone a bit better than most 2xHB guitars, i needed more to be totally satisfied versatility wise. Really great mod that one. They should at least make all thier pups with a split wire even if they don't have it hooked up so you can do it w/o unwrapping the pups and adding one yourself.

I have to say what I really like about the basic platform of the Torero is the scale length, ebony fingerboard and through neck maple construction.

Nice guitar...I was always under the impression that PRS guitars (including the SEs) were set necks, not through-necks. There is quite a difference. Anyone know?

Sergio and James-T are right!!

From the PRS website:

"The SE Torero marries PRS playability with a Floyd Rose bridge, EMG pickups, and neck through body construction. The minimal/unpronounced heel smoothly blends into the body and the deeper, lower cutaway gives easier and smoother accessibility to the upper frets while the pick-ups provide power, clarity, and definition. These features all contribute to the Torero’s notable sustain, and the bound ebony fretboard with jumbo frets and no inlays paired with a mahogany body and flame-maple veneer give this guitar a very distinct look."

... learn something new every day!

Sergio and James-T are right!!

From the PRS website:

"The SE Torero marries PRS playability with a Floyd Rose bridge, EMG pickups, and neck through body construction. The minimal/unpronounced heel smoothly blends into the body and the deeper, lower cutaway gives easier and smoother accessibility to the upper frets while the pick-ups provide power, clarity, and definition. These features all contribute to the Torero’s notable sustain, and the bound ebony fretboard with jumbo frets and no inlays paired with a mahogany body and flame-maple veneer give this guitar a very distinct look."

... learn something new every day!

How cool!

Lookin' good an soundin' nice!

The Torero IS a neck-through guitar.. it's special.

Yeah, that's part of the draw. It's a purpose-built shred machine with everything a metal head could ask for. I used to dream of an Ibanez for whammy bar shenanigans, but now I'd rather have a Torero.

Way to own yours, James! It looks ready to conquer the world now.

Interesting switching on the middle pickup. I probably would've just swapped in a five way blade.

Hey folks, John and Garett, thanks for the feedback.

Yep, I'm an owner for sure. Ever since I brought back from Tampa Fl, a 2002 PRS CU22 bought at Legend Guitars. That was 2006. My first really nice instrument. I was hacking away on a USA stock Stratocaster. Funny both those instruments have gone through some pretty cool transformations. Yep, I mod everything I buy too. Its a bit of a habit. Looking for a 12 step support group, but not on this forum!

Peace,

James

You, sir, are a serious modder! I personally wouldn't take a knife to my own guitars, but you've done a pretty great job creating your own one-of-a-kind SE. Looks pretty cool with the middle single coil. Now you make me wonder how your CU22 looks like as of today. :confused:

xdira.jpg

I think I might start a new thread for this one. Yep - my CU22 went under the knife too - after owning it for about 5 years as a stock instrument. My luthier thought I was insane at first and then when he finished the job he was beaming with pride. Hey if SG's and LP's can have 3 humbuckers, why can't a CU22? That middle pick-up makes this thing so versatile! :p

Peace,

James

Back