Anybody like Gibson?

My experience with Gibson was short lived. I bought a 2016 LP Standard, it was a beautiful guitar with a nice top and played and sounded great. I tried out about 20 before selecting the one I ended up with. But after less than a year gigging it I just didn't connect with the LP. So when I had an opportunity to trade it straight across for well used '92 CU24 10 top I jumped at the opportunity. BEST move I ever made. The '92 has become my #1 and it is perfect in every sense.

As for that video ... it makes me sad for all the reasons already mentioned here.

I attend "paint-outs" where I serve as my artist wife's sherpa. Often times at the conclusion of the event, there is a "gallery" set up where the participating artists display their works for sale. It's not uncommon to see the same subject matter on display because of the limited subject matter. Regardless, I think the point I was trying to make was made.

I have a friend who is very much into art, and was telling me about something like this in Cincinnati just a few months before Covid hit. He actually bought two paintings of the same subject, but by different artists, because he couldn't decide which one he liked better. But he had a close friend that was one of the artists, and she said she enjoyed doing those type events just to see how different artists interpreted the same subject material. He is close friends with her and her husband, and had always been into art but now that he "knows" someone on that world, he's gotten really involved and going to galleries, shows, etc.

All I know is, the two paintings he got are VERY good.

The company owns Baldwin piano, once competitive with NY Steinway as the cream of American-made pianos. Now, all of the manufacture (except for the highest-end custom built 9' concert grands made for artists) is in Chinese factories. And we aren't talking about cheap pianos, prices range from 25 kilobucks for a baby grand, to 70-ish for a 6' piano. Baldwin was once one of the very finest piano makers in the world. That's no longer the case.

While they don't seem to want to part with the capital to do right by Baldwin (a company they already owned) and restore it to glory, they did have the willingness and dough to buy Mesa. I find this troubling. Others may disagree.

That makes me sad. Thirty years ago, I worked in a music store, first delivering pianos and repairing guitars then later sales and guitar repairs.

We were a Baldwin dealer, for not being a piano guy, I sure got an affinity for their craftsmanship and beauty. We moved many a 6, 7 and 9 ft grand to various locations for various performances. We even had Liberace's rhinestone encrusted 9 footer in our store for a couple months. Bummer things have changed.

I hope Paul owns his company for a long time. We all know what happens when these investments. Groups buy out a company! Long live Paul and the company!!!!!

I think/hope Paul is WAY too concerned about his company and his legacy to do that. I'm sure he's well aware of and I hope he's thinking along the same lines as Taylor. Bob Taylor bringing in Andy Powers as a younger visionary and passionate builder who cares more about guitars and making them better, than about nothing but money, is a path I hope Paul will pursue. Taylor should be set for YEARS with Andy there. I hope Paul finds or has his guy.

I had a blue '96 Studio Lite and a '98 Les Paul DC in trans black in the early 2000's. The DC was solid, but the Studio could go kick rocks.

I noticed the boot too, and I do like them :p

Not my style. I'm more of the hiking shoe or gym shoe type.

I bet it looks good on you, though.
91RcuKa224L._AC_UX569_.jpg

I started out on LPs - Studio, Standard Plus, Class 5, then AL. All are gone, though I wouldn’t mind an R9. Sometimes I have a hankering to try a nice 335.

These 2 cover my LP tonal space for me. Plus SCs need trems! :)

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

I was a Gibson fan for the first ten years I played, owning a 1970 SG style Melody Maker, 1966 ES335, 1974 '55 LP Special RI, 1960 LP Jr. By the mid 80s, I'd sold/traded all of these and was a Fender player (Tele's and Strats) for the next ten years.
I completely quit playing for nearly 20 years, resuming in 2012 with Fenders once again.
About 2015, I tried an SE Custom 24 and was floored by how good a guitar it was for a "Student Edition". I now also own an SE Custom 22 semi hollow, SE 245 and a Wood Library Custom 24.
In 2019, I picked up a used 2013 '61 SG Standard w/Maestro vibrola. It scratches the Gibson "itch" for me, but the PRS guitars get more playing time.
I will say that Gibson is putting out a better product now than they have for some time. My SG has better tuning stability than my previous Gibsons.

I hear Gibson doesn’t have nice wood.

“Ocean wave” Custom Reissue

“Ember glow” R9

You have amazing guitars, wish I could see them all.

If I could have found a Gibson like these, I would probably have stuck with the brand and bought a few. Only ever saw one like these before these two. Never saw one for sale at any price. Thanks for sharing.

Back