Anybody know what RED color is on Tim Mahoney's old PRS guitar?

broadcasterguy

Dear Forum,
Tim Mahoney of 311 mostly plays a blue guitar since 1999. But before that, he played a red one as seen in their 'Down', 'Come Original' and 'All Mixed Up' videos.
Does anybody know what PRS red color this is? Perhaps somebody familiar with this guitar would know if it was a solid color or does it show wood grain, or have any metallic?

I would like to get one like it, but would like to get it narrowed down so I know what to be looking for.
It is a Core standard 24 with a stoptail bridge. I can't tell if it is adjustable or not.

This footage is probably from around 1995, so the guitar is at least as old as that.
Thanks for your help.

311redprs.jpg

If it's a solid color, I believe it's Electric Red. If it's transparent, it's Vintage Cherry.

This Tim Mahoney fact finding makes me want to work my way back through the 311 catalog.

I believe he played a vintage cherry standard(solid mahogany).

Shoot. I would like to buy this exactly style of guitar. Core, 24, birds, vintage cherry, stoptail bridge.
The problem is the stoptail bridge. Guitars with these only pop up every once in a while. It could take years for a Cherry one to come up for sale.
I called Guitar Center to see if they could do a custom order. I realize it wouldn't be cheap to do that, but this color and plain mahogany wouldn't be a 10 top, so that should probably save me a little I am guessing.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
The core Standard has been out of the lineup for a while (even longer since stoptail was an option), so that just leaves Private Stock. It would be dearly priced.

Agree it'll be tough to find a stoptail Standard. It'll might help if you put feelers out with some of the top dealers.

Who are the top dealers that I should contact?
Thanks
Yeah, you'll need to wait, hope and constantly be looking to find the stoptail CU24. I'd call here first: http://www.chucklevins.com/brands/paul-reed-smith.html They have a lot of NOS not listed on the site, probably used too. They're in MD and see quite a bit come through. Check out any dealers(on forum here). Brian's, Willcutt, Wild West, John Mann, Jack Gretz, Guitar Sancutary...too many to list.

Also reach out to Chicago Music Exchange. They deal a lot in used guitars.

And Righteous Guitars. Their collection is massive.

Dear Forum,
Here several better shots of that red PRS on these videos from 1996:

(starting 12 seconds in)

Starting at 2:11 and 3:00

Another good one: (starting at 54 seconds in)

I just don't notice any visible/subtle (non 10 top) wood grain. It looks kind of opaque to me. But the footage isn't exactly 4K.
Do you still think it is antique cherry?
Thanks

Is it also possible it could be the old 'red metallic' paint?
I am just having trouble seeing any wood grain on any of the footage. Granted it is pretty low quality footage.
Like this one called 'Burgundy mist metallic':
r2vc8dcuv94lamntmu4a.jpg

I contacted a guitar tech that worked for 311 during that same time frame and he said that it was vintage cherry with the visible grain.

Last edited:
I a guitar tech that worked for 311 during that same time frame and he said that it was vintage cherry with the visible grain.
Yeah, I was second guessing watching the vids too. Keep in mind that if a standard(which I'm almost certain), there's no maple top so any figuring is going to be less noticeable on a solid mahogany guitar. A bit of a rare bird to find a standard 24 with stoptail, not impossible but they are rare. So be prepared to wait but be ready to pounce at a moments notice.

I have a Mccarty korina in vintage cherry that shows the wood grain with a stoptail. Just a thought.

There’s a great shot of his standard 24 stoptail in the new Premier Guitar 311 rig rundown. It is indeed solid mahogany. Tough find for sure.

Back