Anybody have sound clips of CU24 with 57/08? Any clips with None PRS pup?

The Viking Gangster

I'm curious on what people think of the tone of 57/08's in a custom 24. I have the 85/15 and think I'd like lower gain/vintage P.A.F. I read somewhere that somebody put Skatterbrane pickups in their CU24 and loved them.

I played a CU24 with uncovered 57/08s and it almost made me sell my HBII. It was perfect.

There are so many different flavors of 57/08s. For me, the set I got didn't work well with my then current rig and setup. But I played another Cu24 with 57/08s and heard angels sing. They can be some of the best pickups for that guitar ever made, but 85/15s sounded pretty darned good to me, too.

There are so many different flavors of 57/08s. For me, the set I got didn't work well with my then current rig and setup. But I played another Cu24 with 57/08s and heard angels sing. They can be some of the best pickups for that guitar ever made, but 85/15s sounded pretty darned good to me, too.

I have been thinking about a change in pickups on my CU24 as well and 85/15's are under consideration - What kind of music did you play with the CU24 & 85/15's?

Boogle:

You say there are different flavors of 57/08's. I'm not sure I understand. I may be revealing my ignorance here, but is that true? Do pickups vary like guitars do? Two sets of 57/08's built on the same machine will have different characteristics? I suppose magnets and wire material, as well as covers and bobbin material vary, in addition to construction....finding the right guitar/pickup combo would be more of a crap shoot then.

I thought PRS construction consistency made for a more reliable voicing from guitar to guitar (CU24 to CU24) and that same consistency would apply to the pickups as well.

Should the thinking go like this.... "if the guitar doesn't sound good, then pickup changes will only give you different flavors of the sound you don't like" What I'm getting as is, what's more a player in the tone? Is it the guitar or the pickups? For example, I had a highway one tele that I swapped out the neck pickup on, where I couldn't tell the difference. (As I type this I think, "Why am I even looking at changing pickups?"). I don't want that to be the same thing here. Will changing pickups on the CU24 not have that much of an affect?

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited:
I play a lot of metal however the bareknuckle scan do just about anything . Anything from jazz to metalcore.

Oops I actually got rid of the Mesa and bought an Orange TH 30 .....like it a lot more

I play a lot of metal however the bareknuckle scan do just about anything . Anything from jazz to metalcore.

Oops I actually got rid of the Mesa and bought an Orange TH 30 .....like it a lot more

Oh yeah, the Orange TH 30 is a good amp.

Should the thinking go like this.... "if the guitar doesn't sound good, then pickup changes will only give you different flavors of the sound you don't like" What I'm getting as is, what's more a player in the tone? Is it the guitar or the pickups?

What's more important, the singer or the microphone?

Obviously, the singer.

But the wrong choice in a microphone can affect how the singer's sound is perceived. In other words, it can give a good singer tone that a given listener may not like. That's a subjective decision, and changing the mic may or may not make you like the way the singer sounds.

A magnetic pickup is a microphone, though its method of transduction is different from other mics. This is why pickups feed back, just like conventional mics that rely on diaphragms do. I would imagine that I don't have to take the comparison much further... ;)

What's more important, the singer or the microphone?

Obviously, the singer.

But the wrong choice in a microphone can affect how the singer's sound is perceived. In other words, it can give a good singer tone that a given listener may not like. That's a subjective decision, and changing the mic may or may not make you like the way the singer sounds.

A magnetic pickup is a microphone, though its method of transduction is different from other mics. This is why pickups feed back, just like conventional mics that rely on diaphragms do. I would imagine that I don't have to take the comparison much further... ;)

Les:

I wish I thought of that description. Very clear and straight forward.

You are a well spoken fellow:top:

Thanks,

Alan

No worries, I love thinking about this stuff! ;)

There's a thread today about pickup height; before changing out your pickups, you might want to try lowering the ones you have just a little bit and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Back