Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this one. It's a 1983 Ibanez RS1000, that I got new on my 14th birthday. It's been with me ever since.

9p4wkpS.jpg

Killer Ibby! I had an early '80s Artist and Musician with the same Super '58 pickups. I sold them after I got into PRS 'cause they were too heavy. Super '58 pickups are very similar in tone to 57/08s. Great pickups!

Killer Ibby! I had an early '80s Artist and Musician with the same Super '58 pickups. I sold them after I got into PRS 'cause they were too heavy. Super '58 pickups are very similar in tone to 57/08s. Great pickups!

Thank you sir. My RS is actually lighter than my SE. Those early 80s Artists were great looking instruments...never got a chance to play one.

That looks like a keeper, a double cream, I guess that means you put a Dimarzio in there? It also looks like perhaps you did a refret? It appears you have very nice playing area on the frets before the nibs cause problems, looks extremely nice.
my PRS 594 is tied with my LP HP 2016, which has a ding in the neck, they keep switching number one and number two number one number two they each have an attributeThat makes them preferable for certain tonal paradigms. the major difference is the titanium saddles versus the brass saddles, and the LP has some of the deepest satisfying power chords, Of any guitar I have played, It has that Les Paul grunt, the 594 approaches it (95%) but doesn't quite get there. the 594 middle and neck positions are better Clarity more range and more soul. it's very satisfying to have two guitars that are similar and yet offer extended sonic joy. my particular one LP from 2016, is fantastic quality I feel like I got lucky. I think 2016 was one of their peak performance years. I really enjoy extra fret Playing area, No nibs and the wider neck. The the high-performance heel cut, Makes playing at the dusty end super easy.
they rotate first place And second place week to week.
nk8pJvF.jpg

Thank you, it definitely is a keeper to me. I actually replaced the pickups with Wolfetone Marshallheads which I've been very happy with. I bought it used in 2014 so I'm not sure if it's ever had a refret but I don't think so because then the nibs would be gone from my understanding.

The top on your Les Paul looks awesome too! I love the new contoured heel as well and I think that fixes one of my main complaints with Les Paul's in general.

As stated elsewhere, favourites change all the time. For 6 weeks now it’s been the Ric 650. The penalty for that 24th fret to body join is a heavy (and diving) neck. You could play cricket with it all day and gig it the same evening. Its best feature is its tone. The mini HBs are very articulate and expressive.

The SE C24 is the most practical and best all rounder. I successfully auditioned for a jazz band with it. I have also used it for solos on several recordings.

The ES-339 is the least versatile and least practical. For some crazy reason I cant understand, its the most satisfying to play.

Note: the acoustics & nylons are not working guitars and completely different animals. The Fylde is my oldest guitar and the most valuable. I bought it from Roger Bucknall (the maker) in early 70s.

5qqP2yz.jpg

As stated elsewhere, favourites change all the time. For 6 weeks now it’s been the Ric 650. The penalty for that 24th fret to body join is a heavy (and diving) neck. You could play cricket with it all day and gig it the same evening. Its best feature is its tone. The mini HBs are very articulate and expressive.

The SE C24 is the most practical and best all rounder. I successfully auditioned for a jazz band with it. I have also used it for solos on several recordings.

The ES-339 is the least versatile and least practical. For some crazy reason I cant understand, its the most satisfying to play.

Note: the acoustics & nylons are not working guitars and completely different animals. The Fylde is my oldest guitar and the most valuable. I bought it from Roger Bucknall (the maker) in early 70s.

Sweet collection, love that Squire.

I like Les Pauls a lot. I tried to fill the void with PRS but it didn't exactly work.

I developed a real love for PRS and my Ted but I still craved, nay, yearned for an LP.

Luckily, I found absolutely exactly what I wanted in an LP nearby on craigslist. Talked the seller down 400 bucks. She is mine now. Just FYI, in terms of playability and comfort, my Ted blows the LP out of the water. It made me appreciate my PRS even more.

EYjdC9Z.jpg

Also this thread could use more PRSi.

EaJ7RXU.jpg

Last edited:
I love my PRSi - a 2006 CE-24 Mahogany & 2015 Mccarty. however these are a few of my other go to guitars (in no particular order).

2013 Epiphone Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary 1962 Sheraton

1990 Yamaha Image Standard

2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

2016 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa “Treasure” Firebird 1

2009 Gretsch G5120 Jimmy C pinstripe (Modded with Chet Atkins arm and TV Jones Super'Tron Pickups)

2008 Gibson Explorer

2001 Maverick SF-3

2008 Fullmoon Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V

1982 Gibson Spirit

1990 Washburn HB-50

I love my PRSi - a 2006 CE-24 Mahogany & 2015 Mccarty. however these are a few of my other go to guitars (in no particular order).

2009 Gretsch G5120 Jimmy C pinstripe (Modded with Chet Atkins arm and TV Jones Super'Tron Pickups)

2008 Gibson Explorer

2001 Maverick SF-3

1982 Gibson Spirit

1990 Washburn HB-50
Randy Rhoads polka dot Flying V is sooooo cool.

The question could be taken in one of two ways.
1. How many of us have a non-PRS guitar as our #1?
2. What is your favorite non-PRS guitar (does not push PRS from the #1 spot)?

For #1. No I don't have one.
For #2 2004 Heritage H150 (think 59 Les Paul).

The question not asked:

What is your favorite instrument that isn't a guitar?

Answer: CBG tuned to open G

This is a good point. I took it to mean favorite non-PRS guitars. No question, my PRS guitars are my favorite.

50th anniversary American Standard Strat, Baja Tele, and my SG Standard that somehow ended up being almost bulletproof in construction. Seriously no neck dive, it’s been dropped, banged around, and thrashed, and still looks new. And I got it for the same price (new) as a new Epiphone one. Gotta love blowouts.

Like fender1punk above, I too have a 50th anniversary strat. It's sunburst with rosewood finger board. I replaced the pickups with EMGs and presence control. I can dial in strat to humbucker sounds, and anything in between. It is perfect for any style of music. I love it.

Since I bought my PRS guitars... my other two (Ibanez Prestige and Jackson Soloist) have both sat in their cases, untouched.
Just this past week, I brought them down to the music store and traded them both in, on a pair of Line 6 Stagesource L3T speakers.

I have a lot of guitars.
Apart from my new s2, I love my 66 sg jr and two teles. One is a USA with bigsby, the other is the brad paisley model theybreleased last year.

I was going to say I "only" have four guitars in capitulation to the Joneses I can never keep up with, but to be honest I feel lucky to own any one of them. I don't have a single favorite tho, they're all my favorite for different reasons. The first and last ones pictured were perfect gas killers for me. I feel both are about as nice as you can get without throwing money at over extravagant bling. Wanting more or better guitars at this point seems like a lack of appreciation for the blessings already bestowed upon me by the God of Stuff :)

PRS McCarty 594 Wood Library
594-6.jpg

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T Limited Edition Mahogany Top
LPHog-5.jpg

Takamine TSF40C "Santa Fe"
SantaFe-9.jpg

Takamine EF75M-TT
EF75M-12.jpg

2008 Gibson Explorer

2001 Maverick SF-3

1982 Gibson Spirit

1990 Washburn HB-50
Duude! How does the Rhoads sound? Ive been looking at many for years now

50th anniversary American Standard Strat, Baja Tele, and my SG Standard that somehow ended up being almost bulletproof in construction. Seriously no neck dive, it’s been dropped, banged around, and thrashed, and still looks new. And I got it for the same price (new) as a new Epiphone one. Gotta love blowouts.
Man I LOVE the Baja tele. I'm more of a strat guy and I've never been able to find uses for BOTH a strat and a tele. When I've had just a tele, I've loved them, but when I've had a strat AND a tele, I never end up reaching for the tele. So I don't own a tele and probably won't (unless it's some kind of non-tele tele with P90s or humbuckers or something). But I had a Baja for a while and that may be my favorite guitar neck ever. I saw one in a shop within the past few weeks and picked it up and played it unplugged for a little while. And, my god, that neck just felt soooo sublime. I love the neck on my Cray strat, but there's a side of me that would love to do a little surgery and stick a Baja tele neck on that strat. Probably never happen, but that could be a marriage made in heaven...

-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back