Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next non PRS build - a killer whale this way comes this fall. In Blue of course :D

C2186_A5_C-_F221-4574-_B516-593574977140.jpg

68_EDA644-_D20_D-4_C35-_AD38-_F5_F52_B9322_E3.jpg

A Thorn Deluxe 90 has been one of my favorite non PRS guitars. Black limba body topped front and back with figure Koa. Matched with Ron's GT90's. It kicks some serious butt.

30403_12.jpg
That’s looks perfect, like a great visit from an old friend. Like that you have a trem on it with the P90s. Need to try one one of these days.

I have an American Deluxe Tele that I love. I actually was inspired to buy this after a PRS 305 opened my eyes to single coil
rlhbDt3.jpg

IjwiMTr.jpg

bq7KEtm.jpg
Oh man, I want this exact guitar. Love the Cherry burst. Will be getting my PRS first, but this one is on my shortlist.

#1 2007 Gibson R6
R6%201_zpszwivhdj9.jpg

#2 2011 Gibson R7
photo28_zpsba9d29ca.jpg

#3 2009 PRS Korina McCarty w unengraved 5708s
Picture018-1.jpg

I'm more comfortable and in better control with the larger neck profiles on the Gibsons. The McCarty does have generous shoulders especially for a PRS and that gives it enough for me to work with, and tonally it's got a ton of character. It's had 57110 Stainless Jescar fret wire on it for years. The R6 is just perfectly balanced tonally and sounds huge.

My PRS guitars are always number 1, though which one depends on my mood.

Outside of those, I have these two electrics.

D42529_D8-6666-4_AD3-8_B8_A-848_C3375_FE03.jpg

I really like both of these, Knaggs Severn and Huber Orca 59.

The Huber Orca 59 really nails that fat LP sound for me. I agree with Ironwolf, the SC594 gets you 95% of the way there but this Huber gets me 110%! Previously I had 3 different Gibson LPs, 4th was the Lifeson (Schon!) Axcess LP that I liked but hated the Floyd trem. This Huber is a NAMM Ltd model, lightweight Spanish Cedar body, only 7.3lbs! The Haussel 59 pickups are sublime and split very well. What’s interesting is that it has a 25” scale length. I liked it so much I placed a custom build order with another Spanish Cedar body. Going for 24.6” scale length, might get switched to 24.75” though depending on Nik.

The Knaggs Severn really nails that super strat sound and is a lot of fun to play when I want to mix it up. For over 20 years I swore off any 25.5” scale length guitar with maple necks. I typically find maple too bright, but this one works beautifully well -maybe due to alder body instead of mahogany?
Wow, that Orca is fantastic!

This is my favorite non-PRS. Sadly it’s several rungs behind quite a few PRS in a fire situation. But still..

The OCD freak in me insisted on historic reissue LP’s with gloss finish and no pickguards (PRS influence?) and I managed to land this perpetual energy machine. The resonance is supernatural.
rEYDwTq.jpg

Last edited:
A Thorn Deluxe 90 has been one of my favorite non PRS guitars. Black limba body topped front and back with figure Koa. Matched with Ron's GT90's. It kicks some serious butt.

30403_12.jpg

Wow! Give me that guitar in a hardtail and a slightly more Fender-y neck I might never play anything else. That's just a beauty! I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so it's too soon to claim any objectivity, but I'm playing a $300 tele thinline with P90s for the past weeks that I freakin' can't put down. My 3 times more expensive strat and my 10 times more expensive 594 are getting precious little playing time at the moment. I definitely will always want to have a strat and something with humbuckers, but the combination of sounds that P90s have living in them just might be my sweet spot. And P90s in a minimalist guitar like a tele is feeling pretty hard to beat. This Thorn has my radar up...

-Ray

And do you know for the longest time I wasn't satisfied with the tone on this? Loved the feel of it and playing it but it just always sounded a little thin. Over the 1 1/2 year that I've had it I don't know if my constantly adjusting settings has improved it or if I just have come to like its tone more. I talked about changing out the minis but I'm glad I didn't. I love it now.
The same thing happened to me with my ‘79 Les Paul Deluxe. After years of modding, I realized that I had the wrong amp. o_O Once I fixed that I came to love the mini hummers. Sometimes, it’s not the guitar’s fault for sounding wrong, it’s probably the amp...or you. :D

#1 2007 Gibson R6
R6%201_zpszwivhdj9.jpg

#2 2011 Gibson R7
photo28_zpsba9d29ca.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

I'm more comfortable and in better control with the larger neck profiles on the Gibsons. The McCarty does have generous shoulders especially for a PRS and that gives it enough for me to work with, and tonally it's got a ton of character. It's had 57110 Stainless Jescar fret wire on it for years. The R6 is just perfectly balanced tonally and sounds huge.
Can't get enough of drooling over this trio Tom :)

The same thing happened to me with my ‘79 Les Paul Deluxe. After years of modding, I realized that I had the wrong amp. o_O Once I fixed that I came to love the mini hummers. Sometimes, it’s not the guitar’s fault for sounding wrong, it’s probably the amp...or you. :D
And in my case it is 97.4% likely it's the latter:rolleyes:

Wow, that Orca is fantastic!
I love it, nails that classic LP sound, with better articulation (25” scale). The Haussel 59 pickups are terrific and also split really well. This has a light weight Spanish Cedar body which I like. My build will also have SC backwood. Build quality is immaculate. I need to compare it to an R9 or one from a M2M build. Empirical research! :)

This is my favorite non-PRS. Sadly it’s several rungs behind quite a few PRS in a fire situation. But still..

The OCD freak in me insisted on historic reissue LP’s with gloss finish and no pickguards (PRS influence?) and I managed to land this perpetual energy machine. The resonance is supernatural.
rEYDwTq.jpg
Classic!

#1 2007 Gibson R6
R6%201_zpszwivhdj9.jpg

#2 2011 Gibson R7
photo28_zpsba9d29ca.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

If you haven’t already, you should try the PRS Pattern Vintage neck carve, little deeper but the asymmetric carve is very comfortable! My favorite neck carve of any builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back