Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say I "only" have four guitars in capitulation to the Joneses I can never keep up with, but to be honest I feel lucky to own any one of them. I don't have a single favorite tho, they're all my favorite for different reasons. The first and last ones pictured were perfect gas killers for me. I feel both are about as nice as you can get without throwing money at over extravagant bling. Wanting more or better guitars at this point seems like a lack of appreciation for the blessings already bestowed upon me by the God of Stuff :)

PRS McCarty 594 Wood Library
594-6.jpg

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T Limited Edition Mahogany Top
LPHog-5.jpg

Takamine TSF40C "Santa Fe"
SantaFe-9.jpg

Takamine EF75M-TT
EF75M-12.jpg
Again another 2016 LP having their best Quality year That thing looks beautiful. and I love green guitars too

My PRS guitars are always number 1, though which one depends on my mood.

Outside of those, I have these two electrics.

D42529_D8-6666-4_AD3-8_B8_A-848_C3375_FE03.jpg

I really like both of these, Knaggs Severn and Huber Orca 59.

The Huber Orca 59 really nails that fat LP sound for me. I agree with Ironwolf, the SC594 gets you 95% of the way there but this Huber gets me 110%! Previously I had 3 different Gibson LPs, 4th was the Lifeson (Schon!) Axcess LP that I liked but hated the Floyd trem. This Huber is a NAMM Ltd model, lightweight Spanish Cedar body, only 7.3lbs! The Haussel 59 pickups are sublime and split very well. What’s interesting is that it has a 25” scale length. I liked it so much I placed a custom build order with another Spanish Cedar body. Going for 24.6” scale length, might get switched to 24.75” though depending on Nik.

The Knaggs Severn really nails that super strat sound and is a lot of fun to play when I want to mix it up. For over 20 years I swore off any 25.5” scale length guitar with maple necks. I typically find maple too bright, but this one works beautifully well -maybe due to alder body instead of mahogany?

For acoustic, my Tony McManus is my number one. I sold 4 Taylors the very next day to get it. Bought it from Paul during one of his clinics. Think Steinway Grand Piano. It is addicting in every way possible - sight, sound, touch and feeling. Made my Taylor’s sound tinny and I had played Taylors for 20 years at that point.

Number two is this custom David Gomes all Koa acoustic. Made on the Big Island of Hawaii with all local woods. I also have multiple ukuleles from David. My favorite Hawaiian Slack Key musician (John Keawe) has a guitar from David built from the same tree - pretty cool! If only I could play like him!

6_FA92025-_B85_D-49_DC-94_C9-5397_C7_E21_F92.jpg

Yes its a cool story, After years of bugging I got my dad ( a commercial artist retired ) to paint it for me. he collects models and paintings of Spitfire airplanes.
Its the only reason my collection will never be 100% PRS
Heres the back !!
untitled-4697 by
I love this, especially that you have something created by your dad!

I like Les Pauls a lot. I tried to fill the void with PRS but it didn't exactly work.

I developed a real love for PRS and my Ted but I still craved, nay, yearned for an LP.

Luckily, I found absolutely exactly what I wanted in an LP nearby on craigslist. Talked the seller down 400 bucks. She is mine now. Just FYI, in terms of playability and comfort, my Ted blows the LP out of the water. It made me appreciate my PRS even more.

EYjdC9Z.jpg

Also this thread could use more PRSi.

EaJ7RXU.jpg
Two classic guitars there! Love the grain pattern and colors on them.

See my sig... besides a passel of PRSs, I have these:

7rWtO7n.jpg

Those American Select Telecasters are great guitars. I had one of the Select Thinlines and can't remember why I got rid of it although it was probably to buy a PRS of some sort. If I could fins a Koa one like yours for a decent price I'd be all over it.

My PRS guitars are always number 1, though which one depends on my mood.

Outside of those, I have these two electrics.

D42529_D8-6666-4_AD3-8_B8_A-848_C3375_FE03.jpg

I really like both of these, Knaggs Severn and Huber Orca 59.

The Huber Orca 59 really nails that fat LP sound for me. I agree with Ironwolf, the SC594 gets you 95% of the way there but this Huber gets me 110%! Previously I had 3 different Gibson LPs, 4th was the Lifeson (Schon!) Axcess LP that I liked but hated the Floyd trem. This Huber is a NAMM Ltd model, lightweight Spanish Cedar body, only 7.3lbs! The Haussel 59 pickups are sublime and split very well. What’s interesting is that it has a 25” scale length. I liked it so much I placed a custom build order with another Spanish Cedar body. Going for 24.6” scale length, might get switched to 24.75” though depending on Nik.

The Knaggs Severn really nails that super strat sound and is a lot of fun to play when I want to mix it up. For over 20 years I swore off any 25.5” scale length guitar with maple necks. I typically find maple too bright, but this one works beautifully well -maybe due to alder body instead of mahogany?

Agree 110% on the Orca 59. All the more so if you can get "flamed mahogany".....

Duude! How does the Rhoads sound? Ive been looking at many for years now

I actually built the Rhoads myself hence the "Fullmoon" name, i actually built 3 - 2 black with white dots and 1 white with black dots. the picture is the first one the inlays are a bit naff (first try at doing them) the other 2 turned out nicer but didn't sound as nice. The 2nd black one I gave to my son and the white one was auctioned at our local pub for charity. All 3 played beautifully and sound great but number 1 just has the edge. it can nail all of Randy's tones when hooked up to my Marshall G-100R CD with 4x12 & 4x10 cabs stacked.

Here's my last build (built a couple of years ago for a friends 40th) inspired by the ESP Custom that michael wilton was given.

you should out my full collection (116 Guitars)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157632741036277/with/13694635574/

Agree 110% on the Orca 59. All the more so if you can get "flamed mahogany".....

Very nice! Most hog bodies are too close to 9lbs for me to use with this level of body depth/thickness. Spanish Cedar has been a revelation both sonically and weight wise.

There is a company here in Australia that is really taking off called Ormsby. He is a custom builder in Perth (other side of the country to me). He was starting to make a name for himself back when i was just starting out, I remember he had this "shark guitar" circulating on the net, a PRS esque single cut but the F hole was a hammerhead shark, and the inlays were sharks from memory. Bright green quilt top, gorgeous instrument.

Since then he's expanded the model range, they also have a korean made production line. I have made it a goal to buy a full custom order at some stage, both to support a great aussie company but also because the guitars look awesome

Very nice! Most hog bodies are too close to 9lbs for me to use with this level of body depth/thickness. Spanish Cedar has been a revelation both sonically and weight wise.

Well, as long as we are talking alternatives to PRS.....Take black limba for a neck and chambered body....Light weight and a great tonal combination. Unfortunately, Ron Thorn has just taken a different job, so I do not foresee more of these......

I actually built the Rhoads myself hence the "Fullmoon" name, i actually built 3 - 2 black with white dots and 1 white with black dots. the picture is the first one the inlays are a bit naff (first try at doing them) the other 2 turned out nicer but didn't sound as nice. The 2nd black one I gave to my son and the white one was auctioned at our local pub for charity. All 3 played beautifully and sound great but number 1 just has the edge. it can nail all of Randy's tones when hooked up to my Marshall G-100R CD with 4x12 & 4x10 cabs stacked.

Here's my last build (built a couple of years ago for a friends 40th) inspired by the ESP Custom that michael wilton was given.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157632741036277/with/13694635574/

That is an incredible collection Fullmoon. I am still waiting on buffering to see everything.
The dark blue without mag pickups. Is that regular peizo or a custom circuit (variax) ?

I suppose all the blank headstocks are your builds? Very creative & imaginative :cool:

That is an incredible collection Fullmoon. I am still waiting on buffering to see everything.
The dark blue without mag pickups. Is that regular peizo or a custom circuit (variax) ?

I suppose all the blank headstocks are your builds? Very creative & imaginative :cool:

Do you mean this one?

It's actually a japanese ESP that they supplied to certain music stores to demonstrate the Roland synth units. it's completely un-routed. I picked it off the manager of my local dawsons for free as they already had a roland ready display model. Just not sure what to do with it.

Oooh nice, ive been looking at a sandoval one on reverb. Not sure if i should pull the trigger yet

Do you mean this one?

It's actually a japanese ESP that they supplied to certain music stores to demonstrate the Roland synth units. it's completely un-routed. I picked it off the manager of my local dawsons for free as they already had a roland ready display model. Just not sure what to do with it.

hopefully you can figure out a way to keep it unrouted. Very unique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back