Anybody else wishing for more opaque finishes?

Should PRS add more opaque finishes for Core models?

• Sure, why not? Diversity is strength!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • What, isn't black or white enough? Buy something else!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

CivoLee

Look, I get that for many part of the appeal of PRS guitars is the fancy woodgrain, but a lot of us just like the feel, the shape of the body and the sound, and prefer a look with a bit more subtlety than you get from a 10 Top. So all we get to choose from are black and off-white? What happened to all the cool metallic finishes?

Surely I can't be only one who feels this way?

I think opaque finishes should in theory bring down the prices for those that don’t want the fancy look. But from what I’ve seen of brand new prices: opaque doesn’t make it much cheaper, if at all. They could use lower grade wood choices with opaque to reduce costs. And pass that down to us. I would love more metallic finishes. Heck if they want to nail down foil finishes that would be sweet (I’m not counting that SE version that had too much going on!) I always assumed the S2’s would have a lot of opaque finishes.

A few more opaque finishes, along with laying off some of the bursts here and there, would be a nice change of pace.

I, for one, am also a fan of the some older finishes PRS used to offer among their core guitars.

89156861_10221256330340729_2844420573713399808_n.jpg

I would love to see black,white and silver finishes available on every model. To me, they just show off the carve so well. Just plain dead sexy. I know that’s not practical from a production standpoint, but it would still be cool. To me anyway.

I miss the metallic finished S2s. I had a Champagne Gold Standard 22, a Ice Blue Mist and an Aqua Singlecut Standard. Those guitars were beautiful, unique, and real "spokes guitars" for the brand. The conversations with players after shows was always:

"Dude! THAT'S a PRS?! I like that WAY better than those fancy wood ones!!"

I'd talk about the S2 Standard line, which those dudes had not heard of at that point. A lot of them were excited. And they loved the price point.

I enjoyed them for being killer, no frills rock guitars. I really like the pickguard on the Singlecut Standard with a shiny, solid color. I still say my PRS Signature model would be a Singlecut Standard in Fender-style Cusyom Colors from the 50s/60s...candy apples, metallic car colors, etc. Slap appropriate toned pickguard, some #7S pickups and I'd rule the world, lol.

My 594 is a one off that is a metallic royal blue top. I looked at it for a few days before I bought it. I just kept going back to it. It isn't what I would normally buy but this one I really like.

The year my PS came in, there was a purple sparkle 594 DC at Experience. I couldn't justify it at the time, and I've never seen another one. That guitar haunts me. Fortunately, I don't have any pictures of it to make it worse.

The year my PS came in, there was a purple sparkle 594 DC at Experience. I couldn't justify it at the time, and I've never seen another one. That guitar haunts me. Fortunately, I don't have any pictures of it to make it worse.
Here is one in red that was made right around the same time mine was made. I talked to the guy that owns this and came really close to buying it to have both of them. One thing different about mine from this one is that mine has the natural scraped binding. This one has the color wrapping over the top.

I love my PRSi, but nobody has done tobacco burst like Gibson.

6112CC91-original-kiss-guitarist-ace-frehleys-1973-tobacco-burst-les-paul-deluxe-headed-to-auction-estimated-to-sell-for-150000-250000-image.jpeg
Did Gibson do the finish on the dude's face, or was that a home-made job?

Admittedly. I'm not a person who's bought a Tobacco Burst guitar, but that's not a comment on the finish, just haven't tried one in that finish that spoke to me.

Just my two cents, but the McCarty Tobacco Burst is a lot warmer with more yellow undertones, and, to my taste, nicer looking than what Gibson does; it's also got a more gradual transition. The Tobacco Burst I've never liked is the Fender one. A lot of that might be down to the way maple absorbs stains that probably swamp ash and alder don't.

Last edited:
I am always curious what the wood looks like under my solid color finished guitars. Could one of my black or silver OG Tremonti's have a better grain than my 10's, Artists or Private Stocks? :oops:

Back