Anybody else wishing for more opaque finishes?

Should PRS add more opaque finishes for Core models?

• Sure, why not? Diversity is strength!

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • What, isn't black or white enough? Buy something else!

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
I love my PRSi, but nobody has done tobacco burst like Gibson.

6112CC91-original-kiss-guitarist-ace-frehleys-1973-tobacco-burst-les-paul-deluxe-headed-to-auction-estimated-to-sell-for-150000-250000-image.jpeg
I had so many TB LP’s from the 70’s and 80’s, they were abundant in the Midwest and like, $375.

All of the ones that passed through my hands were turds. Now they’re $3k or more.

Did Gibson do the finish on the dude's face, or was that a home-made job?

Admittedly. I'm not a person who's bought a Tobacco Burst guitar, but that's not a comment on the finish, just haven't tried one in that finish that spoke to me.

Just my two cents, but the McCarty Tobacco Burst is a lot warmer with more yellow undertones, and, to my taste, nicer looking than what Gibson does; it's also got a more gradual transition. The Tobacco Burst I've never liked is the Fender one. A lot of that might be down to the way maple absorbs stains that probably swamp ash and alder don't.
PRS does bursts, and especially McCarry bursts a billion times sexier than Gibson or Fender. IMO

Before I started woodworking I could not care less about seeing the wood. As a younger player all of my guitars had solid finishes (jackson, gibson, ibanez,etc.). Now most of my hobby time is spent picking out wood for tables, frames, etc that I really enjoy the beauty and inconsistency in real wood. So, I now have a strong aversion to opaque finishes as it feels like they are trying to hide something.

The visual inspiration is a significant portion of what gets me to pick up a guitar. As much as I love everything about my Tremonti, the black back (specifically the neck) drives me crazy every time I pick it up where the natural neck on my 594's just create a different visual "feel" for me. I see a charcoal Tremonti (natural back) in my future to fix that concern!

EDIT: Ignore everything I said above if the topic is a gold top (with natural back).... That works in every situation!

Last edited:
Before I started woodworking I could not care less about seeing the wood. As a younger player all of my guitars had solid finishes (jackson, gibson, ibanez,etc.). Now most of my hobby time is spent picking out wood for tables, frames, etc that I really enjoy the beauty and inconsistency in real wood. So, I now have a strong aversion to opaque finishes as it feels like they are trying to hide something.

The visual inspiration is a significant portion of what gets me to pick up a guitar. As much as I love everything about my Tremonti, the black back (specifically the neck) drives me crazy every time I pick it up where the natural neck on my 594's just create a different visual "feel" for me. I see a charcoal Tremonti (natural back) in my future to fix that concern!

EDIT: Ignore everything I said above if the topic is a gold top (with natural back).... That works in every situation!
Actually, it wasn't uncommon at one point to use opaque finishes to hide things like knots and discoloration. But I think we could trust PRS to not do things like that. If anything, they could use it for the bodies that don't pass QA inspection so long as it doesn't effect their structural integrity.

I'm not saying they should stop doing transparent finishes; just that they should offer more choices for people not into fancy woodgrain than just black and medium white. We shouldn't have to hope (and pay extra) for dealer special runs in a color we like or shell out for a Private Stock.

Actually, it wasn't uncommon at one point to use opaque finishes to hide things like knots and discoloration. But I think we could trust PRS to not do things like that. If anything, they could use it for the bodies that don't pass QA inspection so long as it doesn't effect their structural integrity.

I'm not saying they should stop doing transparent finishes; just that they should offer more choices for people not into fancy woodgrain than just black and medium white. We shouldn't have to hope (and pay extra) for dealer special runs in a color we like or shell out for a Private Stock.
I agree. The beauty of PRS is that there are so many choices for any taste. To each their own. It is one of the things I like the most is being able to get exactly what speaks to each player.

I had so many TB LP’s from the 70’s and 80’s, they were abundant in the Midwest and like, $375.

All of the ones that passed through my hands were turds. Now they’re $3k or more.

PRS does bursts, and especially McCarry bursts a billion times sexier than Gibson or Fender. IMO

I've owned two LPs, neither a burst. A goldtop, which I still have, and a white one that I never got along with. I'll stick w/my PRSi.

I've owned two LPs, neither a burst. A goldtop, which I still have, and a white one that I never got along with. I'll stick w/my PRSi.
I had a Les Paul Studio and either Blueshawk, or Nighthawk (can’t rem which) in the 90s, and an SG around 2004. Never bonded with any of them. Liked the SG the best.

I’ve only owned one goldtop, a 1976 Deluxe that had been “Aced” buy a biker with a dull spoon. It had three creme/cream DiMarzios in place of the original mini-buckers, and I loved it, but it was my last LP.

But I’d just always wind up answering an ad for an LP, show up to the dudes house, and it’d be tobacco burst :( I’d still buy ‘em but.. Anyhow, I’ve owned at least 5-6.

My second to last LP was Honeyburat? I had remarked to a bass player that I really wanted an Amber/yellow flamey LP Std. He mentioned that he knew a guy who he had just recorded with that had that exact same guitar and it was for sale!

I met the dude at his work (Sam’s @ss) and gave him the $900 he wanted for it without even seeing it. We went out to his car and it was a LP Classic with those green inlays… Ehhh… It was a great guitar though, and I played it as a backup for 10 years, but even that s**t was brown.

Actually, it wasn't uncommon at one point to use opaque finishes to hide things like knots and discoloration.

There once was this woman named Marilyn Monroe, who many believed to be the most beautiful woman. One of her distinctive features was a mole on her face referred to as a “beauty mark.”
Bring on those “knots and discoloration.” Mother Nature knows what she’s doing.

Back