Anybody changed the caps in their guitar?

markj

Further to my earlier thread about changing pickups in my cu24. Another forum member suggested changing the caps. I was wondering If anybody had tried It, to thicken up the tone of the guitar.

I've done it on my guitars that were wired prior to 2007. I used the RS Guitarworks Paper-in-Oil caps.

I can't hear a lick of difference. What made more of a difference, to me, was moving to the 50's style wiring.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;60559 said:
I've done it on my guitars that were wired prior to 2007. I used the RS Guitarworks Paper-in-Oil caps.

I can't hear a lick of difference. What made more of a difference, to me, was moving to the 50's style wiring.

Has did you change the values of the caps or just the type of cap?

what is 50's style wiring?

I taught myself to solder last year just so I could do this sort of thing! ;)

2.2nf Capacitors and 250K pots were a standard change for me (used to do it to all my guitars) you can definitely tell the difference

You can definately change the tone by changing value but I wouldn't bother spending silly money on them. Just get an Orange Drop in a few different values (Voltage rating doesn't matter) and experiment. They're dirt cheap so as long as your soldering skills are decent it's no biggie.

Does changing the cap value alter the tone when the volume control is wide open, or just when you roll back?

2.2nf Capacitors and 250K pots were a standard change for me (used to do it to all my guitars) you can definitely tell the difference
I can hear the difference switching from 500k to 250k volume and tone pots, they sound very different from one another. IMHO 250s roll off too many highs to be used with humbuckers, but could tame a bright single coil - but it depends what you're going for. On the other hand, I cannot tell the difference between tone caps.

Here's a pretty good article on caps:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/guitar/customize-your-caps/

Note they say the type of cap doesn't make a lick of difference, only the cap value.

It also says the cap only affects the tone when it's rolled back.

I put a cap in my NF3 (2010, PRS added a treble bleed cap in 2012) as I found it was too dark when I rolled the volume back. Now? It's a bit too bright when I roll the volume back (doh). Will buy a bunch of them and do some testing (when I have time).

Note they say the type of cap doesn't make a lick of difference, only the cap value.
It also says the cap only affects the tone when it's rolled back.
Did you use a value between the normal 250 and 500, or did you choose a value outside that range.

So has anyone incorporated two caps, switchable using the push-pull so that you have one cap when in HB mode and when you pull the coil split pot to go to SC it also switches the cap?..or better yet, a cap and resistors to also change the resistance value of the pot? Maybe just resistors so that when you go to SC the pot acts like a 250K instead of 500?
Would that work?

I have desired my 93 at least four times. I'm not certain what's in there now but the volume cuts too quick with Dragon IIs.
I have a pickup spec sheet from PRS detailing magnets, wire type and winds for their pre 95 pickups. Heavily considering having some original Dragon specs made for this guitar.

Back