Anybody care to talk about anything PRS related?

I wish PRS would do Explorer and/or SG bodies, too.
Don't get me wrong, I love the DC and SC shapes but, I've always wanted an Explorer shape and I'd jump at the chance to buy another SG if it was a killer instrument

Try out a Mira when you get the chance. They really are like an improved SG in my opinion.

Or on a budget note, get one of the early to mid '00's SE guitars. They have thin, contoured, mahogany bodies. Santana SE (second version, with pickguard), SE Standard, SE Soapbar II, etc. You can snap these up for about $300 on eBay all the time. Total steal of a price for great guitars.

PRS did do neck-through with the SE Torero, but that was a double cutaway, Floyd-equipped shred machine.

I almost bought a near mint Torrero. Fully intended to. And then I went to that big box store here in America that we all love to hate, and fell in love. Twice.

That Mc594 DC pattern thin with 85/15s...omg

And my SE Tremonti Custom

That Torrero had three frets with surface rust, and still had all of the plastic on it. Dude said he put it in the closet, went up to the oil field, and completely forgot he owned it. Decided he was a F3nd3r guy, and offered it up for 400.

My buddy and I did some digging and figured I could polish it up and sell it as mint for 1k.

Still kicking myself over that

o_O

Considering the conditions which caused me to plead with the community at Large to distract me, and you're hoping to see a train wreck...

One finger
Two words
;)

Ha! Can’t say I didn’t deserve that.

I just see the potential for this to go kinda wrong, and am tryin’ to warn you in my own b!tchy way.

Not with that attitude, you don't.

I'm still just a beginner. Barely starting to get the basic ideas of playing leads in my head. Can't play fast, can't make up my own leads. Really horrendous sounding.

But, I know what feels incredible.
My attitude is fine. Latitude could be improved though :)

With a metal bridge I’d go 59/09 neck.

But my fav neck is a 53/10 - warm woody tone :)

Yeah \m/etal bridge and 59/09 has been my suspicion

But, like you said, that 53/10 is so warm and yes, Woody. I think so, too.
The problem is I don't know if it's a hot enough output.

Right now, I can't play to save my life but, ideally, I want to be able to do everything from Tremonti to Angus to Chuck to Zakk to Dimebag to professor Satchafunkilus to Skynyrd to Allmans to whatever bluesy flavored Rockin strikes my fancy.

While I haven't taken any time to learn slide, prioritizing normal playing, I will eventually learn slide.

While the \m/etal bridge would be great to mimic Tom Maxwell from those early HELLYEAH records, I know it won't do bottleneck blues very well.

I want one guitar to stomp ass over all others and now that I know that guitar is a PRS, I just need to nail down the pickup combination.

So many choices
You cannot choose poorly
But, that ultimate set is just so elusive to me...

:D:p:D

Hmmm....I’ve never been wanting for access nor sustain on any of my PRS, but then again I don’t really have the chops for spending a lot of time way up the neck!

You said you don't have the chops for spending a lot of time at the dusty end.

I was trying to be encouraging.

I have failed you, young grasshopper

My needs started out simple: one of everything. For a while a custom, a HB, an archtop, an early SAS and a plain old Braz neck seemed to cover it.
But Paul insisted on making new stuff and now I can’t keep track of what I takes to constitute everything anymore.
Maybe I’ll just take a nap and let somebody else enumerate:

What is the smallest collection that includes everything PRS has to offer?

My needs started out simple: one of everything. For a while a custom, a HB, an archtop, an early SAS and a plain old Braz neck seemed to cover it.
But Paul insisted on making new stuff and now I can’t keep track of what I takes to constitute everything anymore.
Maybe I’ll just take a nap and let somebody else enumerate:

What is the smallest collection that includes everything PRS has to offer?

Oh, IDK. Roughly 500 million dollars.

You gotta have one of every hard tail in every color and one of every trem in every color.

And one of each of those with and without maple top

Every maple top means not figured and figured

Figured means flame and quilt

You need base models and 10 tops

You need artist packages

You need PS models

You need SEs

You may need CEs and S2s

And then you need SEs and perhaps S2s with upgraded parts and factory stock examples

Let's not forget various pickup combinations

Basically, you're going to need about 36 of everything PRS has ever made, plus a lot more

And you need two of every guitar mentioned

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The correct number of guitars will always be n+1 where n=number of guitars currently owned

However, in this instance, I think we can improve upon this mathematical equation:

The correct number of PRS guitars is always nPRSi+1 where nPRSi=number of Paul Reed Smith instruments currently owned.

And then you have the formula b*2 where b=number of guitar brands currently owned

Clear example:

I currently own a PRS SE
b*2=PRS SE+PRS Core
Once I own both
b*2=PRS SE+PRS Core+PRS PS+Gibson Custom

The arithmetic never lies. Arithmetic is the law of nature. You cannot argue with it. It is the end all be all. Breaking the laws of nature comes with the most severe consequences.

Therefore, we all must buy more guitars and also he who dies with the most guitars wins.

I challenge anybody to find flaws in my iron clad, Rock solid arguments:p

I really don't think neck joint has a massive effect on tone. Noticeable? Perhaps.

Play any set-neck Core model with a maple neck option (I have one, and have had several others) and then play one of the older CEs with the bolt-on neck back-to-back (since they’re similar and often have the same pickups and hardware), and you’ll hear characteristic differences between bolt-ons and set necks.

You can hear the differences unplugged and plugged through a clean or moderately clean amp.

Not that it’s a bad thing to sound different. Different isn’t necessarily bad, it’s just...different!

I think a lot of this is what you’re looking for in terms of tone. Lots of players love neck-through designs because of the lack of a neck heel; I just don’t care for the way any of the ones I’ve played sound. Mere preference on my part, chalk it up to me being extra-picky. I’m the same way about string-through designs. I probably just prefer the traditional sound of a vibrating metal bridge set into the body in some way.

Hey, we’re all different!

Oh,
I challenge anybody to find flaws in my iron clad, Rock solid arguments:p

By your own admission, you’re a beginner, so I’m going to forgive any flaws in any of your “guitarguments”. ;)

Seriously, though, Veinbuster is a very fine player with one of the nicest collections of high end guitars around here!

I’ve been at the guitar playing thing for half a century. There’s always more to learn.

Play any set-neck Core model with a maple neck option (I have one, and have had several others) and then play one of the older CEs with the bolt-on neck back-to-back (since they’re similar and often have the same pickups and hardware), and you’ll hear characteristic differences between bolt-ons and set necks.

You can hear the differences unplugged and plugged through a clean or moderately clean amp.

Not that it’s a bad thing to sound different. Different isn’t necessarily bad, it’s just...different!

I think a lot of this is what you’re looking for in terms of tone. Lots of players love neck-through designs because of the lack of a neck heel; I just don’t care for the way any of the ones I’ve played sound. Mere preference on my part, chalk it up to me being extra-picky. I’m the same way about string-through designs. I probably just prefer the traditional sound of a vibrating metal bridge set into the body in some way.

Hey, we’re all different!

Great info!

IDK man. I'm having a hard enough time fighting myself. Don't wanna fight the fuckin guitar, too.
Like you said, it's all about that neck heel.
I loved my SG because the body joined at the 19th fret, and the heel was almost completely non existent. Even with the strap button there, you hardly noticed it besides the obviously thicker neck way up there at the end. And maybe a shade of extra width of you're playing the notes that only dogs can hear

I don't want to fight the guitar. A Paul Reed Smith SG with neck through would be pretty much the ultimate. Or at least, until I owned one. Then, I'd be jonsing for another PRS.

So, would there be a noticeable tonal difference from set neck to neck through?

At the end of the day, everything I want right now is a PRS. And a 1970 Gibson SG Custom to turn into a clone of the Back In Black guitar. And a 67 SG Standard. Angus himself had one. His original SG. The nut width was 1.5"

And a 1970 Gibson SG Custom to turn into a clone of the Back In Black guitar. And a 67 SG Standard. Angus himself had one. His original SG. The nut width was 1.5"

SGs? Here’s my ‘65. I stopped playing it when I got my first PRS in ‘91. Still have it, though it lives at my brother’s now.

jrZzCbF.jpg

By your own admission, you’re a beginner, so I’m going to forgive any flaws in any of your “guitarguments”. ;)

Seriously, though, Veinbuster is a very fine player with one of the nicest collections of high end guitars around here!

I’ve been at the guitar playing thing for half a century. There’s always more to learn.

Guitarguments. I am stealing that!

IDK boss. I been struggling since 04. That was when I got serious.

I say that there's 100 levels to guitar playing.

1-25 beginner
25-50 intermediate
50-75 Advanced
75-80 pro
80-85 skills that could sell out arenas
85-90 virtuoso
90-95 legend
95-99 unheard of talent
100 Satriani

I'm right there at level 20ish. People tell me I don't give myself enough credit. I think they're only being nice.

50 years?
Let me just say I would love to stand around jamming with you. Nobody can play for 50 years without getting extremely good. That's just not possible.

Would also relish the opportunity to just speak at length with you and learn from your decades upon decades of practicing. You could probably set me straight with most if not all of the things holding me back.

I think about it like this
If I woke up tomorrow and suddenly had the ability to play circles around Satriani, I would still be just a humble beginner. There's blues mastery to learn. Metal mayhem to learn. More Rock N Roll to learn. There's classical and flamenco to learn. There's things I don't even know exist that I could learn. There's acoustic things to learn. Bottleneck to learn. Then, there's tuning the guitar sideways to learn.

And then, I would have to learn how and when to incorporate all of these things to make auditory musical sense

You said you don't have the chops for spending a lot of time at the dusty end.

I was trying to be encouraging.

I have failed you, young grasshopper
We’re all good :)

I’m more of a middle aged grasshopper anyway :rolleyes:

Very well could be a case of lattitude and longitude! :D

Back