Anybody buying the PRS guitar strings?

Revelation

I saw them on their web site and wanted to get feedback from people who use them. I assume they have specs for the strings that they have another company make them for PRS? How do they compare to Ernie Ball?

I just bought a 3-pack of the new "Classic" strings (10-46). I typically use EB Slinky's on my McCarty and CU22. Honestly, I couldn't tell a difference. All strings, when newly installed, sound better than what was on there before, so it's hard to compare. The only true comparison would be to put new strings on two identical guitars, and compare them that way. Maybe I don't have a discerning enough ear (or I have rock 'n roll hearing), but I generally have 3 categories for strings (of the same gauge/wind/alloy):
1. Expensive coated strings
2. Cheap and cr@ppy strings that break, or tarnish and go dull quickly
3. Everything else in between.

I generally will use D'Addario's, Ernie Ball's, RotoSound, Fender, or any other name brand in category 3, with similar results. I'd say that these PRS Classic strings go in category 3.:cool:

I played through several sets a few years ago, and did not settle on them. I try out different sets (and sometimes gauges) on each guitar until I land on my favorite for each guitar, so i've got about 5-6 different types on a dozen guitars, but it's EB 10s (the green pack).on 4-5 of them (helps that they're cheap especially on sale). Also like D'Addario coated and uncoated on some.
GHS 9.5 set on one, and I use Elixir where I either like to brighten (Polyweb) or darken (Nanoweb) the tone of the guitar.
Seem to be phasing out of Gibson Britewires and Vintage strings for the LPs.

I just put my first set of PRS Signature strings. So far tuning stability is good.

I have used the NYXL strings, they're my #2 strings. I like the Ernie Ball Paradigm strings best so far.

I'll see how the PRS strings hold up.

I put a set of Sigs on my NF3 last weekend. First thing noticed was that I didn’t have to stretch them as much before they held tuning. My strings were super old on the guitar so was tough to tell sound difference but they sound good, feel good so I’ll try a few more sets. Unfortunately I use a custom gauge on my main guitars so can’t try them there.

Except for custom, don’t they all pretty much get the strings from the same place(s) ?

Not really, the wire and winding machines are relatively easy to get. Having said that, I believe Ernie Ball and D'Addario are the two biggest. I can hear tone differences between many strings. The biggest difference (tone aside) is how they hold up on a well used trem. I'm a fan of the PRS and the D'Addario NYXL strings. They never separate over the trem saddles, so they hold tune better and longer.

I am planning to buy one set of the signature strings and one set of of the classic strings & restring 2 PRS Hollowbody guitars (which admittedly are different sounding and have different neck profiles). If the signature strings don't really make a difference, I will stick with Dirty Boogie's category 3 - which is what I have done for many years.

I put the PRS Signature strings on my SS a few weeks back..and they are great...I'll also second, that you don't have to stretch them as much and they seem to hold up well. So yeah, I dig em!

I have tried just about every string out there...these and the NYXLs have a very similar feel to my fingers. YRMV

I bought a couple of 10 packs @ PRS Exp '18, when I run out I'll check out the new ones.

I used DR for a while but I seemed to have more string breaks with those.

I'm a big fan of DR but I have had the occasional issue. In fact, I just sent them a message to let them know about what happened last Saturday at a gig. Brand new set of Pure Blues and just a couple of seconds into the first song of the first set and the high E goes flat. I tune it, it goes flat. And it keeps going flat no matter what. Not a little flat, but a lot flat. So I swap to my other guitar (the 594) mid song and finish out the set. Long story short, the string came unwound at the ball end. Third time this has happened with DR. I really like the way their strings sound, but if this continues I'll have to find another brand.

Same here.
Glad to hear that about those strings. I think that is what is on my new guitar. I would never do a show with old strings. To easy to break and they are not as playable.
The biggest problem with different strings is different tensions on the neck. That changes every thing. Harmonics, chordal differences from positions, even some finger dirt on a specific part of the string changes everything. ( didn't mean that to sound gross)
I have about 30 hours on these strings. This new PRS sounds so good I want to keep that way. Fingers starting to work again.
Going to try and change them out tomorrow.

Glad to hear that about those strings. I think that is what is on my new guitar. I would never do a show with old strings. To easy to break and they are not as playable.
The biggest problem with different strings is different tensions on the neck. That changes every thing. Harmonics, chordal differences from positions, even some finger dirt on a specific part of the string changes everything. ( didn't mean that to sound gross)
I have about 30 hours on these strings. This new PRS sounds so good I want to keep that way. Fingers starting to work again.
Going to try and change them out tomorrow.
Wow Glen, you've got some mileage on that already, nicely done!

Back