Any women on this forum?

Bluesy type players? Shred monsters?

I like the blues a little more than everything else...

I need help picking a small, less than 45 lb, amp too. I need something similar to a Twin Reverb but not a billion pounds like a Twin Reverb.

:)

I just today bought a new fuzz pedal so that I can retire my black Timmy (#2).

He was a monster showman. Those four guys were so hot together. I was gutted. Spent a couple of months cutting and clipping after he died so I could put this together

mSemgcG.jpg

Wow. That’s nice. I read the autopsy report and got all sad again when I read that they found guitar picks in his pockets. That messed me up big time.

I carry picks in my pocket too.

I need help picking a small, less than 45 lb, amp too. I need something similar to a Twin Reverb but not a billion pounds like a Twin Reverb.

Carr makes good stuff, if you're looking for a boutique amp.

http://www.carramps.com/products/skylark

Otherwise, a Fender Hot Rod, or Blues Junior, or Custom Deluxe

Ok, here's some guys to check out (if you aren't already familiar with them):

Current Players
Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, Derrick Trucks, Monster Mike Welch, Colin James, Tab Benoit, Tommy Castro, Robben Ford, Walter Trout, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Tinsley Ellis, Duke Robillard, Sonny Landreth, Susan Tedeschi, Debbie Davies, Shannon Curfman, Sue Foley, Anna Popovic, Sue Foley, Joanna Connor, Jimmy Thackery, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, Billy Gibbons....and so many more

Those no longer around:
Albert King, Earl King, Freddie King, BB King, Huber Sumlin, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, Peter Green (still alive but not playing), Roy Buchanan, Mike Bloomfield, Albert Collins, Duane Allman, Earl Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Lonnie Mack, Johnny Winters, Tommy Bolin, Jeff Healey, Terry Kath..........

whew....that ought to get you started

He was a monster showman. Those four guys were so hot together. I was gutted. Spent a couple of months cutting and clipping after he died so I could put this together

mSemgcG.jpg

Almost 28 years ago, and I still remember that morning pretty vividly. The radio station I listened to said they had reports in that Eric Clapton had been killed in a helicopter crash. Some time later, it was changed to Eric Clapton's bass player and members of his entourage, then finally, "We have confirmation now - it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who was killed in the helicopter crash at Alpine Valley." Heartbreaking, because, as Casi1 said, he'd overcome his demons and seemed to be on a clean path, and he was playing so, so well.

Almost 28 years ago, and I still remember that morning pretty vividly. The radio station I listened to said they had reports in that Eric Clapton had been killed in a helicopter crash. Some time later, it was changed to Eric Clapton's bass player and members of his entourage, then finally, "We have confirmation now - it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who was killed in the helicopter crash at Alpine Valley." Heartbreaking, because, as Casi1 said, he'd overcome his demons and seemed to be on a clean path, and he was playing so, so well.

Yeah, I remember it too. I was home "sick" from work because it was a late night driving 3 hours home from the show. My boss called me mid morning and asked if I'd called in sick because I was in mourning. I had no idea until he told me. Such a shame.

You're in luck then. One of the two greatest blues players ever (IMHO) is still alive. Robin Trower is simply incredible. You MUST check him out. Thoroughly! In my mind, it's Jimi and Robin and then everyone else. I'm trying to work here! Now you'll have me looking for Trower links on my next upload break. :)

Major plus one for DTR's Trower recommendation. I've seen him three times (I think). I barely know any of his catalog, and I've been spellbound every time. It's no longer a question of whether we go see him - if he's here, I just buy tickets.

Sticking with the bluesy...

Davy Knowles. It's something of a crime he's not better known.

One of my favorite performances. Learning this arrangement is on my to-do list.

Lance Lopez. I first heard him at Experience a couple years ago. Don't know how I missed him, but he's been on my radar since.

Branching out a bit.

John 5. I'm not sure there's anything this guy can't play, or anyone he hasn't played with. He's written and recorded with a galaxy of stars, and he's been in bands for k.d. lang, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. His solo shows are a tour de force. About a month ago, my buddy bought a Tele and left it at my house for a couple weeks. I still have calluses in odd places on my fingers from trying to work up a version of this, but I might have enough to comp something together.

His medley is a highlight.

The Aristocrats. The guitarist is Guthrie Govan - simply amazing, and a wickedly dry sense of humor. I told him after a show that my goal was to play just six notes in a row as cleanly as he did, and he paused and said, "Well, we all have our journeys with the instrument, don't we?"

This is a song written by Marco Minnemann, the drummer (!). It pokes a bit of fun at blues standards. Some NSFW language. There is a story that Marco and Bryan Beller (the bassist) were walking into rehearsals for this song and Marco said he wasn't sure the song could be played at the tempo he'd intended, and they opened the door to find Guthrie playing it faster than intended.

Another of my favorites.

Following the Beller branch, Mike Keneally. Mike is one of the finest musicians I've ever met, and he's an even better person. Ridiculously talented, brilliant sense of humor, musical mind like a steel trap reinforced with a carbon fiber/titanium blend. He's played with Zappa, Z (Dweezil's band), Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dethklok and Chickenfoot, among a bunch of others.

Speaking of medleys, this is the Z medley from 1995, featuring Mike and Bryan Beller - and about 200+ songs.

Hey' we're here for you. You're one of us now. We'll tell you who the cool ones are.

That's funny. I was reading in a "younger generation" magazine a few years back, how that Rob Thomas and made Santana relevant again. Hmmm, didn't know he ever wasn't.

My daughter grew up surrounded by my music. I don't know exactly how old you are, but she's 30 now. When she was a student at the University of Cincinnati, she was sitting on campus one day with Rush playing on her phone. 4 guys walk buy and can't believe what they're hearing. One says "you like Rush?" She says "yes, they're one of my favorite bands. I just saw them a couple months ago when they came through town." They are simply in awe that a college age girl even knew who Rush was. My daughter was surprised but then they started asking who else she liked... Van Halen, Ozzie, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Kansas, etc. Now they can't believe it. One guys says "how did you even discover all this cool music?" My daughter says "my dad played it all the time when I was little and still does." They laughed and one said "that explains it." They all knew and loved those same bands, because their parents listened to it.

The moral of this story. "Train up a child in the way he should go. And when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

Agreed!!!!!! My 14 year old son listens to earth wind fire, Boston, Metallica, steve wonder, chicago, trombone shorty, Glen miller, Johnny cash.

Does my heart good!!!!

First, listen to Boscoe Jessica France. He'll be playing at PRS Experience this year. His slide playing is just amazing. Then Albert King. Then go find a tech 21 Trademark 60. It weighs 35 lbs, you won't even need a fuzz pedal and you can make it sound like almost anything, except an orange. I have 3. My main one is 18 years old, and just went back to Tech 21 for repair. It cost me all of $60 to have it cleaned and repaired. They weigh 35 pounds, are not modeling, are analogue, and you won't need a pedal to overdrive it. It lives in my car trunk. They are American made, very cheap, and kick ass. That's why I have 3. The only other amp I even own is a PRS 2 channel 30 combo. Go to tech21nyc.com and listen to the sound samples. You can thank me later. Several other guitar players already have.

Last edited:
Branching out a bit.

John 5. I'm not sure there's anything this guy can't play, or anyone he hasn't played with. He's written and recorded with a galaxy of stars, and he's been in bands for k.d. lang, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. His solo shows are a tour de force. About a month ago, my buddy bought a Tele and left it at my house for a couple weeks. I still have calluses in odd places on my fingers from trying to work up a version of this, but I might have enough to comp something together.

His medley is a highlight.

The Aristocrats. The guitarist is Guthrie Govan - simply amazing, and a wickedly dry sense of humor. I told him after a show that my goal was to play just six notes in a row as cleanly as he did, and he paused and said, "Well, we all have our journeys with the instrument, don't we?"

This is a song written by Marco Minnemann, the drummer (!). It pokes a bit of fun at blues standards. Some NSFW language. There is a story that Marco and Bryan Beller (the bassist) were walking into rehearsals for this song and Marco said he wasn't sure the song could be played at the tempo he'd intended, and they opened the door to find Guthrie playing it faster than intended.

Another of my favorites.

Following the Beller branch, Mike Keneally. Mike is one of the finest musicians I've ever met, and he's an even better person. Ridiculously talented, brilliant sense of humor, musical mind like a steel trap reinforced with a carbon fiber/titanium blend. He's played with Zappa, Z (Dweezil's band), Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dethklok and Chickenfoot, among a bunch of others.

Speaking of medleys, this is the Z medley from 1995, featuring Mike and Bryan Beller - and about 200+ songs.

Everything Alan just said...:)

Back