Any women on this forum?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by JimmyDee, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I like the blues a little more than everything else...

I need help picking a small, less than 45 lb, amp too. I need something similar to a Twin Reverb but not a billion pounds like a Twin Reverb.

:)

I just today bought a new fuzz pedal so that I can retire my black Timmy (#2).

2. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

Wow. That’s nice. I read the autopsy report and got all sad again when I read that they found guitar picks in his pockets. That messed me up big time.

I carry picks in my pocket too.

3. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I keep them in my wallets. Easier to keep them out of the washing machine.

ScottR, bodia and Casi1 like this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Carr makes good stuff, if you're looking for a boutique amp.

http://www.carramps.com/products/skylark

Otherwise, a Fender Hot Rod, or Blues Junior, or Custom Deluxe

Casi1 likes this.
  5. bodia

Ok, here's some guys to check out (if you aren't already familiar with them):

Current Players
    Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang, Derrick Trucks, Monster Mike Welch, Colin James, Tab Benoit, Tommy Castro, Robben Ford, Walter Trout, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Tinsley Ellis, Duke Robillard, Sonny Landreth, Susan Tedeschi, Debbie Davies, Shannon Curfman, Sue Foley, Anna Popovic, Sue Foley, Joanna Connor, Jimmy Thackery, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, Billy Gibbons....and so many more

Those no longer around:
    Albert King, Earl King, Freddie King, BB King, Huber Sumlin, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, Peter Green (still alive but not playing), Roy Buchanan, Mike Bloomfield, Albert Collins, Duane Allman, Earl Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Lonnie Mack, Johnny Winters, Tommy Bolin, Jeff Healey, Terry Kath..........

whew....that ought to get you started

grausch and Casi1 like this.
  6. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Almost 28 years ago, and I still remember that morning pretty vividly. The radio station I listened to said they had reports in that Eric Clapton had been killed in a helicopter crash. Some time later, it was changed to Eric Clapton's bass player and members of his entourage, then finally, "We have confirmation now - it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who was killed in the helicopter crash at Alpine Valley." Heartbreaking, because, as Casi1 said, he'd overcome his demons and seemed to be on a clean path, and he was playing so, so well.

ScottR, Alnus Rubra and Casi1 like this.
  7. bodia

Yeah, I remember it too. I was home "sick" from work because it was a late night driving 3 hours home from the show. My boss called me mid morning and asked if I'd called in sick because I was in mourning. I had no idea until he told me. Such a shame.

Casi1 and ScottR like this.
  8. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

ScottR, Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

You're in luck then. One of the two greatest blues players ever (IMHO) is still alive. Robin Trower is simply incredible. You MUST check him out. Thoroughly! In my mind, it's Jimi and Robin and then everyone else. I'm trying to work here! Now you'll have me looking for Trower links on my next upload break. :)

Casi1 and ScottR like this.
  10. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Major plus one for DTR's Trower recommendation. I've seen him three times (I think). I barely know any of his catalog, and I've been spellbound every time. It's no longer a question of whether we go see him - if he's here, I just buy tickets.

Sticking with the bluesy...

Davy Knowles. It's something of a crime he's not better known.

One of my favorite performances. Learning this arrangement is on my to-do list.

Lance Lopez. I first heard him at Experience a couple years ago. Don't know how I missed him, but he's been on my radar since.

11. alantig

alantig SSBMA

Branching out a bit.

John 5. I'm not sure there's anything this guy can't play, or anyone he hasn't played with. He's written and recorded with a galaxy of stars, and he's been in bands for k.d. lang, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. His solo shows are a tour de force. About a month ago, my buddy bought a Tele and left it at my house for a couple weeks. I still have calluses in odd places on my fingers from trying to work up a version of this, but I might have enough to comp something together.

His medley is a highlight.

The Aristocrats. The guitarist is Guthrie Govan - simply amazing, and a wickedly dry sense of humor. I told him after a show that my goal was to play just six notes in a row as cleanly as he did, and he paused and said, "Well, we all have our journeys with the instrument, don't we?"

This is a song written by Marco Minnemann, the drummer (!). It pokes a bit of fun at blues standards. Some NSFW language. There is a story that Marco and Bryan Beller (the bassist) were walking into rehearsals for this song and Marco said he wasn't sure the song could be played at the tempo he'd intended, and they opened the door to find Guthrie playing it faster than intended.

Another of my favorites.

Following the Beller branch, Mike Keneally. Mike is one of the finest musicians I've ever met, and he's an even better person. Ridiculously talented, brilliant sense of humor, musical mind like a steel trap reinforced with a carbon fiber/titanium blend. He's played with Zappa, Z (Dweezil's band), Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dethklok and Chickenfoot, among a bunch of others.

Speaking of medleys, this is the Z medley from 1995, featuring Mike and Bryan Beller - and about 200+ songs.

Casi1, grausch, ScottR and 3 others like this.
  12. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

Paul Gilbert. His is very fast but his solo albums rock. Very tasteful catchy stuff.

He has a ton of stuff on youtube.

Casi1, ScottR and toothace like this.
  13. gush

Agreed!!!!!! My 14 year old son listens to earth wind fire, Boston, Metallica, steve wonder, chicago, trombone shorty, Glen miller, Johnny cash.

Does my heart good!!!!

14. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

#774 dogrocketp, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Casi1 likes this.
  15. toothace

toothace We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers.

Everything Alan just said...:)

Casi1 and alantig like this.
  16. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I like him.

17. gush

Thanks man ! We took him to see EWF in concert last year. Great show.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  18. sergiodeblanc

Rad! Man, I can’t belive the energy those guys have live, they’re like, 60+ years old and make most young bands look like suckers.

jxe, ScottR and gush like this.
  19. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

Unlike many of the young bands, they have REAL skills!

Casi1, gush, ScottR and 2 others like this.
  20. sergiodeblanc

I mean, they’re on a whole different level really.