Any women on this forum?

We need to talk. Do you read Guitar Player? Steve Morse was in the GP Gallery Of The Greats YEARS ago which signifies having been voted the best guitar player in one musical category at least 5 different times. Steve is awesome. The Dregs or Dixie Dregs were a fusion of rock, jazz, bluegrass, country... Killer musicians and made me listen to and LOVE some stuff in styles I'd never listen to before.

Anyway, as for the guitar, I read the "3 second look" rule. I tried to look away before three seconds. I think something criminal might be going on, and if I was taken to court, I don't want to be able to testify that I know what I saw. "Your honor, I didn't get a good enough look to identify the perpetrator. He was wearing a hoody. It was dark. I was wearing sunglasses... "

I am a whipper snapper. I just ‘discovered’ SRV for Gods sake so you can’t expect much from me.

:confused:

I would tell you a story about how I ‘discovered’ Santana but Bodia would kill me. It went something like this ... ‘hey man, that Rob Thomas dude has this really good guitar player in his band...’

I am a whipper snapper. I just ‘discovered’ SRV for Gods sake so you can’t expect much from me.

Hey' we're here for you. You're one of us now. We'll tell you who the cool ones are.

I would tell you a story about how I ‘discovered’ Santana but Bodia would kill me. It went something like this ... ‘hey man, that Rob Thomas dude has this really good guitar player in his band...’

That's funny. I was reading in a "younger generation" magazine a few years back, how that Rob Thomas and made Santana relevant again. Hmmm, didn't know he ever wasn't.

My daughter grew up surrounded by my music. I don't know exactly how old you are, but she's 30 now. When she was a student at the University of Cincinnati, she was sitting on campus one day with Rush playing on her phone. 4 guys walk buy and can't believe what they're hearing. One says "you like Rush?" She says "yes, they're one of my favorite bands. I just saw them a couple months ago when they came through town." They are simply in awe that a college age girl even knew who Rush was. My daughter was surprised but then they started asking who else she liked... Van Halen, Ozzie, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Kansas, etc. Now they can't believe it. One guys says "how did you even discover all this cool music?" My daughter says "my dad played it all the time when I was little and still does." They laughed and one said "that explains it." They all knew and loved those same bands, because their parents listened to it.

The moral of this story. "Train up a child in the way he should go. And when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

Hey' we're here for you. You're one of us now. We'll tell you who the cool ones are.

That's funny. I was reading in a "younger generation" magazine a few years back, how that Rob Thomas and made Santana relevant again. Hmmm, didn't know he ever wasn't.

My daughter grew up surrounded by my music. I don't know exactly how old you are, but she's 30 now. When she was a student at the University of Cincinnati, she was sitting on campus one day with Rush playing on her phone. 4 guys walk buy and can't believe what they're hearing. One says "you like Rush?" She says "yes, they're one of my favorite bands. I just saw them a couple months ago when they came through town." They are simply in awe that a college age girl even knew who Rush was. My daughter was surprised but then they started asking who else she liked... Van Halen, Ozzie, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Kansas, etc. Now they can't believe it. One guys says "how did you even discover all this cool music?" My daughter says "my dad played it all the time when I was little and still does." They laughed and one said "that explains it." They all knew and loved those same bands, because their parents listened to it.

The moral of this story. "Train up a child in the way he should go. And when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

Lol. Yeah, that’s very true. My parents are older and I grew up listening to Motown because that’s what my dad played all the time. I was the only 7th grader who knew who Jackie Wilson was...

Dad is 80 now and was blown away by a video of SRV. He said ‘how did that skinny kid get the blues?’...

I totally dig Nita, and her playing. Have seen her 3 or 4 times with Cooper. Great fit.

SRV - man, that guy was AMAZING. I think 6 times, for me. First time was from about 4 feet away. Last time was his last show. Such a loss.

I do like Orianthi, but man, Nita seems to get the band concept so much better. I've seen her at least twice with Alice, and I think I saw Ori with him once.

SRV - man, it seems like so long ago. I can remember seeing him on the tour for "Couldn't Stand The Weather" (I think) - at one point, he brought the band down so quiet that if anyone had an asthma attack I think it would have drowned them out. I took for granted that I'd get to see him more. I really regret that.

One of the advantages of being "older" (and now that I think about it, it's the ONLY one I can find!) is that I got to see MANY of the legendary bands. I'm not quite old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix, but other than those two, I've seem SO many of the all time greats. SRV opened for Jeff Beck on my birthday one year in the late 80s. I've seen Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Kansas, Yes, ELP, Rush, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Mahogany Rush, Triumph, Whitesnake, Vai, Satch, and on and on, many of them multiple times. Dream Theater of course. Rush, 21 times. I've never seen the Dregs and I love them. But I've seen Deep Purple with Richie and with Steve. And saw Steve play with Kansas!

We are lucky, aren't we? In a few years, it'll be 50 years since my first concert (Johnny Cash), and next year is 40 years since I started going to concerts more in earnest. The list of acts I wish I'd seen is probably much, much smaller than the ones I've seen. My buddy and I go a lot - and he goes to more than I do - and he likes to say, "I don't know how long I can do it, and I don't know how long they'll do it, so I want to see who I can when I can."

We are lucky, aren't we? In a few years, it'll be 50 years since my first concert (Johnny Cash), and next year is 40 years since I started going to concerts more in earnest. The list of acts I wish I'd seen is probably much, much smaller than the ones I've seen. My buddy and I go a lot - and he goes to more than I do - and he likes to say, "I don't know how long I can do it, and I don't know how long they'll do it, so I want to see who I can when I can."

Johnny Cash! I had Johnny playing in my car this morning... I love Johnny. I was listening to ‘Jackson’.

Do you guys recommend any modern players (besides JM and EJ)?

I totally agree. I only discovered SRV one (1) year ago and now I’m pretty much obsessed. He seemed like a cool, down to earth, honest guy who was unbelievably talented. Sucks that he had beat his demons only to come back stronger then simply choose the wrong time to be in a rush to get home. It just sucks.

On a good note, MN will announce today whether charges will be brought forth in Prince’s death. He was another one that I wished I was around for in the 70s...

One of the many cool things with SRV is there are never backup vocals live or studio. Until someone points it out, you never notice, he was just that good!

Johnny Cash! I had Johnny playing in my car this morning... I love Johnny. I was listening to ‘Jackson’.

Bluesy type players? Shred monsters?

JP!!!!!! And if you want your mind blown, Allan Holdsworth.

Lol. Yeah, that’s very true. My parents are older and I grew up listening to Motown because that’s what my dad played all the time. I was the only 7th grader who knew who Jackie Wilson was...

Dad is 80 now and was blown away by a video of SRV. He said ‘how did that skinny kid get the blues?’...

This is a cool enough story that I'll let you pass on Rob Thomas' guitar player :p

Sometimes funny things happen to skinny kids that might give them a taste of blues. Not Stevie, but another skinny kid:
- see their dad walk barefoot across town in winter, snow covered winter
- living without plumbing in another, colder winter
- have their uninsured house burn to the ground, then listen to half the kids in the new school talk about you wearing the same two shirts all the time

The kid didn’t (and doesn’t) consider it a sad life. Just stuff that happened. Just enough flavour that you could feel how blue things could be for someone. And maybe channel it into a song.

SRV - man, it seems like so long ago. I can remember seeing him on the tour for "Couldn't Stand The Weather" (I think) - at one point, he brought the band down so quiet that if anyone had an asthma attack I think it would have drowned them out. I took for granted that I'd get to see him more. I really regret that.

He was a monster showman. Those four guys were so hot together. I was gutted. Spent a couple of months cutting and clipping after he died so I could put this together

mSemgcG.jpg

Back