Any women on this forum?

Tylor is a good dude. He'll keep you square. But, you're right, you NEED a Santana first! Once you go Santana, you'll never go back.....just sayin'

Yeah, he is good people and always helpful. Dave is cool too; he let me play his rosewood tele upstairs in the museum.

Of course, you would say I need a Santana first, lol. I have a feeling that Santana neck is gonna be too much for me.

I just sanded the gloss off of this Fendr. Feels satiny like my DC3 now. Yay.

Couldn’t help but drop this one in here, seeing as there’s a Purple theme appearing in the thread!

With our very own Bernie Marsden, sporting a very fashionable hair cut for the time and playing some rather splendid guitar!

This will be well before you were born too!

Last night, Nita Strauss did a live Q&A for supporters of her Kickstarter campaign. I asked her for one act before her time she wished she could have seen live.

Because I needed a reminder of how old I am.

Her answer? Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I saw SRV something like four or five times.
Not gonna lie, it does kinda suck coming after the legends. I'm 25, so by the time I was old enough to enjoy them, we had already lost a lotttttt of good ones. Right now, I'm really hoping to see Gilmour before he calls it quits but he hasn't toured since 2016 so we'll see.

Last night, Nita Strauss did a live Q&A for supporters of her Kickstarter campaign. I asked her for one act before her time she wished she could have seen live.

Dude...she was pretty good, huh? Can't wait to hear what her album sounds like.

I totally agree. I only discovered SRV one (1) year ago and now I’m pretty much obsessed. He seemed like a cool, down to earth, honest guy who was unbelievably talented. Sucks that he had beat his demons only to come back stronger then simply choose the wrong time to be in a rush to get home. It just sucks.

On a good note, MN will announce today whether charges will be brought forth in Prince’s death. He was another one that I wished I was around for in the 70s...

Dude...she was pretty good, huh? Can't wait to hear what her album sounds like.

Yep - I'm really looking forward to it. Really hoping she tours around here. Last fall, the night before the Alice show, his band did a show in a small club. It got cut short because the club let a couple kids in and when the cops showed, they refused to ask them to leave, so they had to shut down early. I heard the band was not too happy about that. Nita was sick that night, so she only stuck around for a few minutes afterwards.

Side note - got to meet Alice at a pop culture convention this weekend. Couldn't be a nicer guy. Even though the line for him was huge and they were really pushing people through, he still took time to talk to everyone.

I totally agree. I only discovered SRV one (1) year ago and now I’m pretty much obsessed. He seemed like a cool, down to earth, honest guy who was unbelievably talented. Sucks that he had beat his demons only to come back stronger then simply choose the wrong time to be in a rush to get home. It just sucks.

On a good note, MN will announce today whether charges will be brought forth in Prince’s death. He was another one that I wished I was around for in the 70s...

I caught on to Prince late, but early enough that I caught him live on the Emancipation tour. Fantastic show. I wish I'd made the connection much earlier than I did. I can remember going up to the Civic Arena in the 80s to go to the Penguins team store and listening to the crew starting to soundcheck instruments for his show. I can't remember what tour it was, just remember hearing them hit that electronic snare over and over.

If I remember correctly, this clip was identified as being at the old (now-gone) Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. I was at the show that night, but to see him walk in cold and tear it up like this - wow.

Not gonna lie, it does kinda suck coming after the legends. I'm 25, so by the time I was old enough to enjoy them, we had already lost a lotttttt of good ones. Right now, I'm really hoping to see Gilmour before he calls it quits but he hasn't toured since 2016 so we'll see.

The upside to this is that you get to mythologize those bands you didn’t get to see. I don’t know how many bands I love that kinda let me down after seeing them live.

I caught on to Prince late, but early enough that I caught him live on the Emancipation tour. Fantastic show. I wish I'd made the connection much earlier than I did. I can remember going up to the Civic Arena in the 80s to go to the Penguins team store and listening to the crew starting to soundcheck instruments for his show. I can't remember what tour it was, just remember hearing them hit that electronic snare over and over.

If I remember correctly, this clip was identified as being at the old (now-gone) Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. I was at the show that night, but to see him walk in cold and tear it up like this - wow.

Cool. I love that clip of Stevie... actually, there’s a song in it that literally haunted my dreams for months until I found out the name of it, lol. No lie... I was literally asking everybody I ran into if they knew the name of the track.

Oh, I wasn’t here yet (1979). that’s why I don’t know them.

I will check him out.

We need to talk. Do you read Guitar Player? Steve Morse was in the GP Gallery Of The Greats YEARS ago which signifies having been voted the best guitar player in one musical category at least 5 different times. Steve is awesome. The Dregs or Dixie Dregs were a fusion of rock, jazz, bluegrass, country... Killer musicians and made me listen to and LOVE some stuff in styles I'd never listen to before.

Anyway, as for the guitar, I read the "3 second look" rule. I tried to look away before three seconds. I think something criminal might be going on, and if I was taken to court, I don't want to be able to testify that I know what I saw. "Your honor, I didn't get a good enough look to identify the perpetrator. He was wearing a hoody. It was dark. I was wearing sunglasses... "

I totally dig Nita, and her playing. Have seen her 3 or 4 times with Cooper. Great fit.

SRV - man, that guy was AMAZING. I think 6 times, for me. First time was from about 4 feet away. Last time was his last show. Such a loss.

We need to talk. Do you read Guitar Player? Steve Morse was in the GP Gallery Of The Greats YEARS ago which signifies having been voted the best guitar player in one musical category at least 5 different times. Steve is awesome. The Dregs or Dixie Dregs were a fusion of rock, jazz, bluegrass, country... Killer musicians and made me listen to and LOVE some stuff in styles I'd never listen to before.

Anyway, as for the guitar, I read the "3 second look" rule. I tried to look away before three seconds. I think something criminal might be going on, and if I was taken to court, I don't want to be able to testify that I know what I saw. "Your honor, I didn't get a good enough look to identify the perpetrator. He was wearing a hoody. It was dark. I was wearing sunglasses... "

Lets not forget the Winger connection....Rod Morgenstein!

One of the advantages of being "older" (and now that I think about it, it's the ONLY one I can find!) is that I got to see MANY of the legendary bands. I'm not quite old enough to have seen Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix, but other than those two, I've seem SO many of the all time greats. SRV opened for Jeff Beck on my birthday one year in the late 80s. I've seen Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Kansas, Yes, ELP, Rush, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Mahogany Rush, Triumph, Whitesnake, Vai, Satch, and on and on, many of them multiple times. Dream Theater of course. Rush, 21 times. I've never seen the Dregs and I love them. But I've seen Deep Purple with Richie and with Steve. And saw Steve play with Kansas!

I had a Lead II back in the day. Wanted a Strat but got the Lead because Steve played one. Two SC pickups... didn't last long. Sold it for my first Van Halen guitar (Kramer Baretta).

Back