Any users of the P22 out there? Edit…..I received it on Friday…. Such a great guitar

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
So I had the wonderful chance to play in this Duo with an old friend of mine that’s a great soulful Acoustic guitarist and equally fine very tasteful singer and locally well known …I’d been using my DGT during rehearsals which works so well, but I really wanted to be able to mix in some acoustic guitar to my electric sounds sometimes when I’m not playing solos, or maybe both..
At any rate, I found a 2012 P22 Goldtop used for a (finally) great price in fine condition so I went for it. Will be here is a few days..
I was wondering others thoughts on this instrument. Also I’d read that it they have a McCarty thickness body, pattern regular neck with jumbo frets and 53/10’s. Is that accurate?
Any words of advise, as always, is appreciated

Last edited:
I've had and still use a '12 P22 every gig since 2014, as we run a few tunes with acoustic tones. I don't think it's McCarty thickness, but I need to double check that to be 100% sure. Besides having the piezo system, it's just a great all-around guitar! I run the piezo side into an LR Baggs Para, and am very satisfied with the results.

Have fun with it!

I've had and still use a '12 P22 every gig since 2014, as we run a few tunes with acoustic tones. I don't think it's McCarty thickness, but I need to double check that to be 100% sure. Besides having the piezo system, it's just a great all-around guitar! I run the piezo side into an LR Baggs Para, and am very satisfied with the results.

Have fun with it!
Thanks Mark, I will! Just curious….Does your 2012 P22 have the 53/10 pickups and jumbo frets?

Last edited:
Am I wrong that the P22 essentially became the Custom 22 Piezo? As the owner of the latter, I can say it is indeed thicker than a non-piezo Custom as it’s necessary to fit the electronics board/jack plate.

Last edited:
Congrats on a very nice grab!

I'm going to assume you have the hardtail, which is the best configuration for acoustic tone. I have versions of both, and while the trem version does sound nice, the piezo tone crackles when the bridge moves.

My only advice would be this:

1) Setup and string the guitar for .011 strings. Your overall tone will be fuller, but especially when the piezo is dialed up, and;

2) Always run your piezo output separately to either an acoustic amplifier, acoustic D.I.. Of course, try out the blended signal through the mixed output to compare for yourself, but it doesn't hold a candle to sending the piezo alone out to proper acoustic amp/D.I. circuitry.

I've always wanted to play and hear the 53/10 pickups, they've just never crossed my path. Enjoy that, it sounds like a wonderful guitar.

I have 4 piezo equipped PRS guitars (P22 Trem, Exp. 2012 P22, HB II, SCHB II). I have used them at many gigs. I also used one with a duo like you want to do. It is a great addition. I run my signals separate. The piezo signal goes into a Fishman Aura DI then straight to the FOH mixer. This makes a huge difference in the sound of the piezo. I use D'Addario 10s on all of my guitars and have not had any issues with the piezo sounds on my guitars. All of my piezo equipped guitars have 57/08 pickups in them except the Exp. P22. They won't tell me what the pickups are. I believe them to be a variant of the 53/10 pickups. All PRS would tell me is that they are a varian of 57/08s, which the 53/10s would be. All I know is that I like them so it isn't that important to me.

I also had a '12 P22, mine didn't have the 53/10's I don't think, the card just said "P22" pickups, whatever that was at the time. Definitely thicker than a CU22. I think you'll love it, I kick myself every day for not keeping it!

I also had a '12 P22, mine didn't have the 53/10's I don't think, the card just said "P22" pickups, whatever that was at the time. Definitely thicker than a CU22. I think you'll love it, I kick myself every day for not keeping it!
Yes, mine have "P22" stickers as well, but PTC did confirm they were actually 5708 on mine.

Thanks Mark, I will! Just curious….Does your 2012 P22 have the 53/10 pickups and jumbo frets?
I got lucky and yes, mine has the 53/10's. I haven't really paid attention to the frets-I will compare them to my '95 CU22 and get back.

prior to retirement, my primary was a DGT. i tried the P22 as my second for the exact same reason as you but i never got on with the P22 pickups. the Cu24 with piezo however was the golden match for me

I got the P22 today. The picture is in my signature.. Did the normal polish the frets, cleaned & oiled the fingerboard, adjusted bridge & intonated . Neck was perfect right out of the case, new strings ect.. sounds just great with the acoustic pickup or electric or both. Great neck, thick McCarty body. Jumbo frets. Neck is somewhat similar to my DGT, just a bit wider. Love the Goldtop reminiscent of my old 57 LP I used to own… It was built in late August, 2012. Don’t really know if they are 53/10’s or 57/08’s but they sound great as does the Baggs Acoustic pickup system …I’m frankly astounded. I knew it would be good. I didn’t know it would be this good! And I still like their poly finishes as well as their newer nitro over CAB, (whatever that means) :eek::D
thank you all for your input! I’m a lucky and happy guy:):)

Last edited:
I got the P22 today. The picture is in my signature.. Did the normal polish the frets, oiled the fingerboard, adjusted bridge. Neck was perfect right out of the case, new strings ect.. sounds just great with the acoustic pickup or electric or both. Great neck, thick McCarty body. Sounds huge. Jumbo frets. Neck is similar to my DGT, just a bit wider. Love the Goldtop reminiscent of my old 57 LP I used to own… It was built in Early August, 2012. Don’t really know if they are 53/10’s or 57/08’s but they sound great…
thank you all for your input! I’m a lucky and happy guy:):)
That’s a great lookin’ guitar.
I love how a goldtop shows the voluptuousness of the PRS top carve.

I have a 2013 P22 hardtail with 57/08 pickups, and a 2017 CU24 piezo trem with 85/15s. I love them both! I run GHS .10s on all my electrics, and the acoustic tone is great on both. I don't think the trem hurts the acoustic tone at all. I run the piezo signals through compression and acoustic IRs via my Line 6 Helix and into the PA. Works great for me.
Congrats on your goltop - killer guitar!

I have a 2013 P22 hardtail with 57/08 pickups, and a 2017 CU24 piezo trem with 85/15s. I love them both! I run GHS .10s on all my electrics, and the acoustic tone is great on both. I don't think the trem hurts the acoustic tone at all. I run the piezo signals through compression and acoustic IRs via my Line 6 Helix and into the PA. Works great for me.
Congrats on your goltop - killer guitar!
A nice pair Tom! Guitars that is….…. Sounds like a great setup… I put GHS .10’s on Mr. Goldtop as well…Sounds great

Last edited:
Back