Any Robin Trower fans out there?

I read an interview with SRV where he says his brother Jimmie Vaughan came to hear him play in Austin, and Jimmie was drunk and was heckling Stevie mercilessly because Stevie was using pedals and effects.

Finally Jimmie hollored out "You sound like Robin Trower!". Stevie came down off the stage and punched him!
That story was recounted in the book “Caught in the Crossfire” by Joe Nick Patoski.

I worked with Laurie Wisefield, who played guitar in Wishbone Ash, in the late '90s for two week-long recording sessions in Europe two years in a row.

Phenomenal player (who later toured with Clapton, Ringo Starr, and Joe Cocker), incredible session artist, and a great guy to boot. I loved working with him.

I love Robin Trower, too!
I really liked the set by Wishbone Ash. Great songs by great players.

Frank Marino....bad a$$ guitar player....FACT!
Before Eddie Van Halen came along, Frank Marino was my biggest influence. While there may have been some snow involved at various times, he was one of if not THE fastest guitar player around back in the late/mid 70s. I loved that fast riffing style he had. In fact, the intro to my Happy Birthday thing I put up, the very start of that shows that influence. I started out with fast riffing then went to a more a more scale based run, but the very first notes are very Marino influenced. When I warm up, that's the kind of stuff I do to get my two hands sync'd.

Before Eddie Van Halen came along, Frank Marino was my biggest influence. While there may have been some snow involved at various times, he was one of if not THE fastest guitar player around back in the late/mid 70s. I loved that fast riffing style he had. In fact, the intro to my Happy Birthday thing I put up, the very start of that shows that influence. I started out with fast riffing then went to a more a more scale based run, but the very first notes are very Marino influenced. When I warm up, that's the kind of stuff I do to get my two hands sync'd.
I finally broke down and bought his Live at the Agora Theater set. I was on the fence for awhile because it was $100, but since he can't tour anymore, I figured I'd splurge.

I really liked the set by Wishbone Ash. Great songs by great players.
They were a really good band!

Laurie Wisefield is an incredibly lyrical player, can do the fast stuff, but his best thing (for me) is that he can put together a soaring, melodic solo with incredible touch and beautiful intonation and right-on, perfect vibrato. One of the best players I've had the pleasure of working with.

I finally broke down and bought his Live at the Agora Theater set. I was on the fence for awhile because it was $100, but since he can't tour anymore, I figured I'd splurge.
Yeah, I've been hesitant to drop a hundo on it as well. How is it?

I was at this concert ... Robin had just gotten his neew 50,000 watt system and asked if he could crank it ....I was hanging on the edge of the stage ... a wonder I have any hearing .. but a memorable show the whole show is on youtube

Back