Any Robin Trower fans out there?

Longneck Tenon

So my Silver Sky SE has been neglected what with a new guitar getting all the attention so I gave it a good play over the lunch hour and decided to turn on some pedals and play Bridge of Sighs. I am no Robin Trower but the guitar was perfect for that kind of tone, warm with a wonderful mournfulness when I added some vibrato. I saw him almost 50 years ago, and I still find his work so soulful. He and BB King got the most out every note.

He got savaged by the press as a Hendrix clone. Sure, he was inspired by him like most guitarists were and are to this day. But he had a thicker, warmer tone, an incredible vibrato and an almost theatric sense of phrasing.
Not sure why that was a thing. Trower and Hendrix were basically making music at the same time, then when Jimi passed away, Robin filled the void. Sure their styles were similar and Robin even talks about how Jimi influenced him, but they were very different musically and it doesn't make Trower any less of a talent. They were quite similar, yet at the same time, very different. Two phenomenal musicians to say the least

Trower! I don’t listen to him a lot now. I kinda don’t have to - I think Bridge if Sighs is burned into my DNA. I can hear it in my head. Coming of age music for me, seems like the rest of the gang here as well. Yup, a fan for sure. Hendrix, sure. But that full, fat tone is all Robin’s.

Trower! I don’t listen to him a lot now. I kinda don’t have to - I think Bridge if Sighs is burned into my DNA. I can hear it in my head. Coming of age music for me, seems like the rest of the gang here as well. Yup, a fan for sure. Hendrix, sure. But that full, fat tone is all Robin’s.
As someone once said, his tone is thicker than a milk shake.

I read an interview with SRV where he says his brother Jimmie Vaughan came to hear him play in Austin, and Jimmie was drunk and was heckling Stevie mercilessly because Stevie was using pedals and effects.

Finally Jimmie hollored out "You sound like Robin Trower!". Stevie came down off the stage and punched him!

Saw him in 75. The warmup bands were Wishbone Ash and Mahogany Rush. More than worth the price of admission!
Love Mahogany Rush too! talk about yin and yang... seeing Frank and Trower at the same time. Frank was THE guy that got me interested in playing fast. Meanwhile, Hendrix and Trower got me interested in playing slow.

Saw him in 75. The warmup bands were Wishbone Ash and Mahogany Rush. More than worth the price of admission!
I worked with Laurie Wisefield, who played guitar in Wishbone Ash, in the late '90s for two week-long recording sessions in Europe two years in a row.

Phenomenal player (who later toured with Clapton, Ringo Starr, and Joe Cocker), incredible session artist, and a great guy to boot. I loved working with him.

I love Robin Trower, too!

Back