Any PRS/Les Paul fans thrown PAF into singlecuts with TOM bridge style?

tonaholic

I'm curious about putting maybe Throbak, WCR, Lollar etc in an SC58 for my Les Paul fix. I just prefer the build/craftsmanship/looks of PRS/Suhr over their vintage brethren but the 5708 are too tame for me?

So, those of you with SC58, 2013 SC45 or even older SC 245 & McCarty 245, please chime in on your experiences, especially if you're a Les Paul lover for the tone but prefer the PRS build :)

I don't have the TOM, I kept the PRS stoptail/wraparound, but I put DGTs into a SE SC. I don't like the neck angle on LPs, the way the strings rise up away from the body as they approach the bridge... I like the feel of the PRSi better.

I don't have the TOM, I kept the PRS stoptail/wraparound, but I put DGTs into a SE SC. I don't like the neck angle on LPs, the way the strings rise up away from the body as they approach the bridge... I like the feel of the PRSi better.

Agreed, there is a number of design and build queues that I vastly prefer on the PRS build. Additionally, they do a lot of extra work to the wood to make it vibrate like "old wood". I'd love to drop 3k on a nice SC58, throw some boutique PAF in it and call it better than just about any "burst build" out there... for me.

I only have 1 PRS with the TOM, and I've left the stock pickups in there. However, I have put some real-deal, vintage PAFs in a couple guitars and they sounded AMAZING. For some incredible PAF tone, be sure to check out Electric City and Sheptone. They're fantastic.

I haven't done it, but I love the PRS SCs, and it will be interesting to read about how it all turned out once you get one.

I went the other way and dropped a 59/09 57/08 set in a 2007 historic R0 that had known good pedigree in terms of lumber, tone, and stability... It is a VERY special Lester...

I personally don't like the idea of putting non-PRS pickups into a PRS guitar.
I have a 2006 Singlecut which sounds great and I think (not sure) it has pickups in it which are called 7's.
"Great" meaning that there is no problem getting a Les Paul fix with them. They sound as good or better.
You may also want to look into the new PRS \m/ (metal) pickups.

I also went the other way. I've got a dynamite Custom Shop Standard that played amazingly, looked great but was a tad muddy switching between it and my HBII.

59/09's installed and now it's one of my go-to axes (though the line starts behind the HBII).

Sorry for the so-so pic. An audience member grabbed it at a recent show and tagged the band. I dug the way the lights made it look =)

i have not but wouldnt hesitate to do so. I have Throbaks in my R9 and the absolutely scream with my YJM100. I am strongly considering getting another SE 245 to use as a mod platform- and some vintage style PAF clones would be on the list.

hahaha, what's up Fenn? Fancy seeing you here. :congrats:

I've still got the S2 bug.

Last edited:
hahaha, what's up Fenn? Fancy seeing you here. :congrats:

I've still got the S2 bug.

hiya Mal!

Yeah, I found my way here after becoming obsessed with my SE. Like you, I am also wanting to scratch the itch that it the S2 Singlecut- which is seemingly a unicorn at this point.

Not with a Tune o Matic, but a regular Singlecut PRS, 2006, 25" scale, yes. I've put a calibrated, unpotted, open coil set of Bare Knuckle Mule pups into this Singlecut. I also did the 50s wiring mod, no fancy parts, just wired in the 50s style.

The guitar is very different now, improved totally. The pickups have punch and grit, but have enough headroom to be sensitive. The PRS #7 humbuckers it replaces were slightly hotter, but neglibly so. The #7s were bland, no punch, not bright enough. Specifically, bridge was lacking bottom end, neck too boomy, not bright enough all around. I did the 50s wiring mod before changing pups, that made the guitar brighter and better, but the Mules made it perfect.

Yes, unpotted pickups, no they do not screech with feedback, but they do have the good kind. Unpotted is so much better, more lively, much nicer cleans, and more detail. Unpotted from now on. And yes, I play with plenty of gain.

Just reread this thread after the bump. The Dimarzios 36th set is pretty good. Certainly not my favorite PAF clones, but a pretty nice set for the money.

For the OP, I just noticed that the 57/08s are a little tame for you. They're actually a bit hotter than most real PAFs. In that case, you may consider a set of 59/09s. If you're looking for a slightly hotter PAF vibe, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Wolfetone Marshallhead in the bridge, with a Wolfetone Dr. V in the neck. I have a spare set lying around. The bridge gets that smoky ZZ Top sizzle, and the neck gives you that creamy Slash/ Cream neck tone.

Good luck!

Back