Any PRS JA-15 experts here?

I have a Hollowbody Spruce. it is the same size/shape/thickness as the current HB II, but with a spruce top instead of maple, and no maple back - just a hog body.

It plays marvelously! But it isn't the same thickness as an Archtop or JA-15. It is thicker than a CU24, maybe a bit thicker than a regular solidbody McCarty. Hmm, I have a McCarty Korina too, I should compare... (later tonight, perhaps, if I remember!)

The spruce-topped Archtop guitar is the same profile (AFAIK) but thicker-bodied, maybe that is what you were thinking of.

Hi

Yes, the JA has a block under the bridge that connects to the back. No feedback with a great spruce top sound. Being a George Benson fan, the spruce with flat wound strings are so critical to getting a similar sound. The older Hollowbody Spruce is nice as well but the balance is awkward which is why I love the singlecut JA. The 53/10 can be jazz or bright sounding. I lowered the rear pickup a lot to gain more sound from the neck and it made a difference.

Thanks shinksma for the clarification on the thickness of the Hollybody 1 vs.
JA 15..

This explains what I have been hearing.

I always loved Benson and was ' hearing ' in my mind those type of lines but a little wilder ..and a little Vibrato ..
I have only been able to actually play this way recently due to taking my fret hand thumb off the back top of neck.

I showed bursts of it for very long time but not flowing all over and across strings like now.

And it's kind of R&B Fusion - the Solos are like Jazz but ..the Rhythms are more Raw and Danceable lol.

So there are other options that will sound good..but a JA 15 would be a great Recording Guitar for me...

It's a very unusual Model..

Rmendel- did you get a lot of interest in your Tones even from Jazz Guitarists with JA 15 ?
Others have mentioned this..

Jazzers are gracious but pretty hard to impress ...lol.

Back