Any of you guys lead players/shredders?? And whats your guitar of choice?.

Great guitars. Prices for these babies are skyrocketing lately

I think I got a good deal...we'll see when it arrives just how dinged up it is. It was listed for a total of about 5 hours when I was doing my weekly search. Pics looked good. Worst case is I'll strip and refinish it...blue of course!

I came up in the 80’s and learned to “shred” just as the tides turned. In retrospect, I probably coulda used that time better to learn any other skill set. Lol.

At my “shreddiest” I was mostly playing ESP’s and Jackson’s but I always had a LP or two as well (with EMGs). So when I decided that I was gonna get “one guitar to rule them all” I split the difference and got a CE in 93. I used that guitar for almost everything until a KL33 dethroned it in 2013.

I don’t really classify myself as a shredder anymore, but I’ll always be a ripper.

Hear me out, the best shredder guitar is a: Santana type.

The fat neck sounds better, still gives you “all the notes” (24 frets), but it makes it harder to hit the really high notes.

IMHO you should still be able to reach the upper end of the fretboard, but you shouldn’t live there permanently. Super high weedly weedly solos are dumb, you wanna force yourself to stay on the middle to lower side of the fretboard most of the time only to go high for maximum guitar solo dramatics.

The fat neck sounds better, still gives you “all the notes” (24 frets), but it makes it harder to hit the really high notes.

IMHO you should still be able to reach the upper end of the fretboard, but you shouldn’t live there permanently. Super high weedly weedly solos are dumb, you wanna force yourself to stay on the middle to lower side of the fretboard most of the time only to go high for maximum guitar solo dramatics.
Fact!

I don’t really classify myself as a shredder anymore, but I’ll always be a ripper.
How do you differentiate? Long before the term "Shred" came into play, I considered myself and was called, a "ripper." I know these are made up terms, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Is there one? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

How do you differentiate? Long before the term "Shred" came into play, I considered myself and was called, a "ripper." I know these are made up terms, but I'm not sure what the difference is. Is there one? Or are they pretty much the same thing?
Uhh.. I dunno if there’s an accepted definition by anyone other than me?

It’s kind of a Potter Stewart-ish “I know it when I hear it” kinda thing.

Not necessarily lol...but from you name I assume you can rip if you're playing DT...
On the intro of the thing I put up a while back, I tried to slow it down and count, but it was difficult. It was right around 20 notes per second, all notes picked. No sweeping or pick one note and play three. Every note was picked.

I came up in the 80’s and learned to “shred” just as the tides turned. In retrospect, I probably coulda used that time better to learn any other skill set. Lol.

At my “shreddiest” I was mostly playing ESP’s and Jackson’s but I always had a LP or two as well (with EMGs). So when I decided that I was gonna get “one guitar to rule them all” I split the difference and got a CE in 93. I used that guitar for almost everything until a KL33 dethroned it in 2013.

I always thought the Santana design would be great for higher fretboard access. I dont mind neck thickness much, which is weird cuz I have little girl hands. I'm also thinking of those Yamaha SG2000s Carlos used to play before PRS. Those look perfect for soloing on, great upper board access.

Tiny rant here...I think PRS necks are great for soloing on, but the only thing that irks me is the neck heel. Most of the time its fine, but you feel that chonk if you wanna do Holdsworth type runs on lower strings in the upper fretboard region. I do wish it was a bit more streamlined.

Used to my kind of story in the zeroes. Charvel model 6. However I noticed that you can shred on any well set up guitar. Yngwie uses a strat FCOL. So, my "shred" machines are my CE24 and CU24.
Yeah, I can shred on anything, including my acoustics and my CU24s, but I really prefer a flatter fingerboard radius and jumbo frets.

Maybe it’s time to contact the PTC…

Back