Any of you guys lead players/shredders?? And whats your guitar of choice?.

Russ73

I grew up playing in the 80s with my first guitar being a Kramer! focus I believe...so I really learned those techniques coming into to 90s when I started playing seriously in bands...what about you guys?? I sometime find myself ripping on my Standard 22 and I feel like I should have a Charvel in my hands lol

I grew up playing in the 80s with my first guitar being a Kramer! focus I believe...so I really learned those techniques coming into to 90s when I started playing seriously in bands...what about you guys?? I sometime find myself ripping on my Standard 22 and I feel like I should have a Charvel in my hands lol
What do you consider “shredding?” How fast do you have to be to be “shredding?” I “might be” able to shred, depending on your shred standards. Do you have a “notes per second” rule that you have to pass to be a shredder?

What do you consider “shredding?” How fast do you have to be to be “shredding?” I “might be” able to shred, depending on your shred standards. Do you have a “notes per second” rule that you have to pass to be a shredder?
Not necessarily lol...but from you name I assume you can rip if you're playing DT...

Pretty much all the widdly stuff I learned on a PRS SE Singlecut. My go to for the fiddly-widdly is a PRS SE Paul's Guitar and a 35th Ani. When I started being able to play faster, I thought of going with Ibanez, but I dont like the width of their necks, well...the RG series type stuff anyway. I like their artcore series tho.

You know...come to think of it I don't really consider myself a "shredder" these days. Maybe when I was younger and putting effort into speed drills, but I dunno....I guess the older I get the more I wanna do Robin Trower stuff.

I grew up influenced by not metal bands that shred (although I love metal), but punk bands that have shreddy guitar, like RKL and Bad Brains. So, my practicing back in those days worked on facilitating speed and accuracy with alternate picking and fast, staccato palm muting. The tapping stuff and sweep picking I picked up later, although I find myself using those techniques pretty sparingly and more in a riff/melodic sense, as opposed to an overt shredding sense.

So, I guess because my lead playing is very alternate picking based, I tend to like amps and guitars with a very immediate, percussive attack. My amp of choice for a long time was a VHT/Fryette Pittbull Ultra-lead; everything is tight and percussive through that thing. For guitars, my McCarty, NF3, JA-15 and 305 all have a great punchy attack, although for more shreddy stuff, I typically grab the first two.

I'm not a shredder, but I play what is considered by some to be a shredder-style guitar, a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas.

Just a quality SuperStrat with great pickups, useful tonal options and a solid Floyd Rose 1000...

Back