Any of you guys gig with...read on...

Russ73

SE models and have USA models? I have a core and 2 S2s and I have a zack Meyers and just picked up an SE custom 22 for gigging, I live in NY and I just refuse to beat the hell out of my nice PRS guitars so I gig with the SE line...anyone else??

Lots of the guys here gig with their Private Stocks...

I use my PS and Core models on sessions, though admittedly most of them are in my own studio. However, when I played out, I did take my Core models.

But it's personal, and I'll bet a bunch of the forum members gig with SEs and keep their Core stuff at home.

The first PRS I giged was my Artist Cu24. I have also giged SE's. If I thought there was a chance they would get ripped off or beat up I'd take the SE's. I play pretty safe venues though so I don't worry much.

I play my core CU24 at church all the time. It's an inspiring guitar and my only PRS. More fun playing with other people!

So far only twice with my Cus24. the venues ( generally Pubs) are very tight areas and I found myself more concerned
about the person who'd had too many shandy's weaving too close, so I tend to stick with my LP Studio with 57s and my Bernie!!!

My SE One has seen a considerable amount of stage time. Not because I'm afraid to gig the core models - they all have - but because it was my preference for the night. Almost all of my guitars go out...two are irreplaceable but are the only ones staying at home.

Last edited:
I gig with the best guitars for the gig, that currently happens to be a PTC modded DC3 and a DC22 (one of 25).

I also own a proto, a S2, another core and a SE. They may rotate in and out as I see fit, and I have no reservations about gigging with any of them.

I try to determine what`s best for the gig. If I`m playing theater music, it`s an SE 245. Never goes out of tune and has a neutral sound. If I`m Playing a funky gig, it`s An SE EG or my old core Mira. Outdoors in the heat, it`s an SE Singlecut Trem which is never affected by 100 degrees here in DC. Blues means my SE CU24 or SE Tremonti Custom. There are a couple of others for special occasions. My old CE 24 is getting a facelift right now. That goes everywhere.

I can't afford to buy guitars that I can't afford to use.

That said, there is a time and a place for everything... and there are some places that I won't bring the good stuff.

Yeah, if I won't gig it, I don't need it. I agree on bringing what's right for the gig. I'd probably bring any solid body anywhere, but I'm more careful with the HBII.

Lots of the guys here gig with their Private Stocks...

I use my PS and Core models on sessions, though admittedly most of them are in my own studio. However, when I played out, I did take my Core models.

But it's personal, and I'll bet a bunch of the forum members gig with SEs and keep their Core stuff at home.

This is it exactly for me.
While I don't yet have my PRS, I do play on my other guitars, the least expensive being $3,800 and the others averaging $4,500 and up.
I was never intimidated by the cost of a guitar to play out with it. If I know a particular place is going to be slightly "off-color" for my better guitars, I still have no choice but to take only one guitar and just keep an eye on it all night.

While these guitars only go for the same approximate cost as the PRS core models, this is what they cost.
I do plan to play my PS guitar out. One thing I learned a long time ago was that to save a specific guitar for only looking at or home use, once you either sell it, or die, it is going to go to someone who will not have paid for it what you did, and they will take it out and enjoy it for what it is...a musical tool, beyond the artsy thing about it.

So, why leave the good stuff for someone else to use and enjoy?! Let them worry about how it might be dinged, played and enjoyed before they got their grubby mits on it. ;)

Last edited:
I love my core and Artist PRS guitars for gigs. They all have been and will continue to go. I don't own any SE's at this point.

258EEC06-C9CE-4440-AA2D-B37B0EEB05E6_zpsrydr9vr1.jpg
753DF30E-EB8C-46F7-9E16-B6AB5D20DC69_zps86mofme1.jpg
I gig with my private stock because I had it made to the specs that I love most so why not. To me it's meant to be played. Just my two cents

This is it exactly for me.
While I don't yet have my PRS, I do play on my other guitars, the least expensive being $3,800 and the others averaging $4,500 and up.
I was never intimidated by the cost of a guitar to play out with. If I know a particular place is going to be slightly "off-color" for my better guitars, I still have no choice but to take only one guitar and just keep an eye on it all night.

While these guitars only go for the same approximate cost as the PRS core models, this is what they cost.
I do plan to play my PS guitar out. One thing I learned a long time ago was that to save a specific guitar for only looking at or home use, once you either sell it, or die, it is going to go to someone who will not have paid for it what you did, and they will take it out and enjoy it for what it is...a musical tool, beyond the artsy thing about it.

So, why leave the good stuff for someone else to use and enjoy?! Let them worry about how it might be dinged, played and enjoyed before they got their grubby mits on it. ;)

Great post! I love this, especially the part about "why leave the good stuff for someone else to use and enjoy?"

Back