Any news on the future of the SE Custom 24-7?

juka

Pioneer Of The SCF
Title says it all.

The SE Custom 24-7 remained on the PRS homepage, but unchanged.
Big online dealers either have them "out of stock" or are selling the remaining black ones heavily discounted.

Should I get one while they last or is there an update on the horizon?

The announcement was that they weren't making them for '17, not sure why they're still on the page. I'd get one if you want one. I have 8. ((facepalm) at self)

The announcement was that they weren't making them for '17, not sure why they're still on the page. I'd get one if you want one. I have 8. ((facepalm) at self)
8 is an odd number. o_O Why not 10 or 12??? :D

Are you not tempted by the heavy discount the remaining stock is offered currently? :rolleyes:

No, 8 is an even number. Discount, what discount?

I have two sapphire (both of which are no longer blue and have turned green), two amethyst, two red, and two black. Tempted to get two amber, but I DON'T NEED 8, WHY WOULD I WANT 10?!?!? No. NO! Not even remotely tempted. SHUT UP QUIT TEMPTING ME YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

No, seriously, they're all eventually going to have different pickup sets in them. I'm more than halfway there.

The German "Gitarre & Bass" Magazine writes that a 7-String and a Baritone are planned - I hope for some cool Extended Range stuff, a 7-String could be potentially interesting as I'm more and more into getting one...

Some online shops are selling the remaining black ones for 50% off :eek:

That's why I'm very tempted, although I would very much prefer an amber / sunburst one

Where? I don't NEED a 2nd one and not overly fond of the black... but hmmmm

I have no idea if PRS is going to release an updated SE-7 in the near future or not, from what I gather they're probably going to put it on the shelf for a little while for one of two reasons: #1 I don't believe these sold too well (most people were put off by the 25" scale length and the muddy stock pickups didn't help either) #2 It seems as though PRS's 6-string baritone SE's have been doing well on the market.

My guess is that the SE-7 is still on the website because stores are still trying to sell off remaining stock.

I think an updated SE-7 would likely come with an increased scale (either 25.5 or 26.5") to placate the contemporary masses who want extended scale 7's. A Holcomb SE-7 would probably sell extremely well, especially since the 6-string Holcomb has supposedly been flying off shelves. Odds are we wont see a Holcomb 7 for awhile (if at all), especially since the 6 is both relatively new and still doing very well.

PS for the record, I am happy with the 25" scale length on the SE7, it makes it one of the most comfortable and easy to play 7's on the market. When most tune B standard and Drop A anyway a 25" scale is more than fine. I've even tuned to Drop Ab and it wasn't even bad with stock string gauge, up the gauge a little and you're set........ but we live in a time where specs sell instruments rather than feel.

...most people were put off by the 25" scale length
I think an updated SE-7 would likely come with an increased scale (either 25.5 or 26.5") ...
PS for the record, I am happy with the 25" scale length on the SE7, it makes it one of the most comfortable and easy to play 7's on the market. When most tune B standard and Drop A anyway a 25" scale is more than fine. I've even tuned to Drop Ab and it wasn't even bad with stock string gauge, up the gauge a little and you're set........
Agreed. I made some disparaging comments about the scale length at Experience ("who does that?") which I later regretted, once I got home. I've done both BEADGBE and AEADGBE tunings with no problems on mine.

My Ibanez archtop is 24.7" (I just looked it up).

I wouldn't have any problem with it if they bumped it up to 25.5", though.

No new Seven String on NAMM as it seems. :(
I don't think 7's are popular enough anymore for PRS to wanna do that, they seem to be focusing on vintage guitars which sucks for guys like me but it is what it is. Although from what I hear Sterling by Music Man just showed off a new 7 string at NAMM that looks gorgeous, roasted maple neck too! And from what I have experienced Ernie Ball is becoming the definition of diminishing returns, when you look at Sterling.

Pretty sure during the booth walkthru video PRSh mentioned and pointed at an SE 7.

Yes, that's right. However that's just the old SE7 which does not fit my requirements of a longer scale length.

Back