Any love for torrified necks -- and why aren't there more of them?

jlf599

So, I'm pretty taken with EBMM neck finishes and those guitars dominate my collection. I recently played a friend's Private Stock Special 22 with a torrified neck and the neck feel reminded so much of my favorite roasted maple EBMM neck that I was hoping to pick up a PRS 22 fret guitar with a torrified neck. The natural feel on the PRS neck was outstanding and just felt silky smooth to play.

Turns out that they don't seem terribly common for PRS and even rarer for 22 fret. Am I just not seeing them or is there little love at PRS for them? I've seen some DGTs with torrified necks but I've never played one. The talk of the fret size and the neck shape scares me off from just ordering one blind, though.

Am I "doomed" to eventually have to go the way of a special order? (Oh, no, anything but that...) :)

I don't hate the neck finish on my Custom 22 Semi-Hollow or anything and have no plans to let that one go but adding a torrified neck model would be...nice. :)

Unrelated: my phone likes to correct torrified to terrified -- and that amuses me a lot.

J

Probably doesn't help that I've learned that 24 frets are not for me. So many cool guitars from PRS are 24 fret. :(

I guess that's good for my wallet.

They don’t do to many torrefied necks, except in a Wood Library run. Thing is, with PRSes long, and very deliberate wood drying process, there’s no need to torrify a maple neck. Their unfinished maple necks feel just like my JP15, and I love them. You could also look into a Rosewood necked guitar. More likely to find a 22 fret guitar with RW neck. Also unfinished

I have a pretty rare Custom 24 Floyd with one and it is easily my favourite!

They don’t do to many torrefied necks, except in a Wood Library run. Thing is, with PRSes long, and very deliberate wood drying process, there’s no need to torrify a maple neck. Their unfinished maple necks feel just like my JP15, and I love them. You could also look into a Rosewood necked guitar. More likely to find a 22 fret guitar with RW neck. Also unfinished
I didn't realize they did unfinished necks. I'll have to start looking for those. Thanks much for the tip!

J

I played some of the SE limited run torrified neck guitars, and a Suhr Modern with the same, and man, they feel great. I'd love to get a Silver Sky with one, and wouldn't rule out having a WL with one in the future, either, despite not really being a fan of maple necks on humbucker guitars otherwise.

Mine is my favorite neck on all of my guitars by a mile. I’d put it on most of my guitars if I could. I would think if the demand was there, they’d build more? That’s usually what fuels the fire for PRS.

I’d like to see them do a bigger run of say 100 on a popular seller like a custom 24 and see how they sell. They’re sprinkled around the WL world but not a large group of people seem to have or talk about them.

4qnX6zY.jpg

I’m a maple neck lover, and recently got an SE 24 with a torrified neck and maple board. My ears hear it as being different from my other maple necks. More treble snap. I’d love to be able to get a torrified maple neck/board on a stock 24 fretter with 24/08 wiring.

I didn't realize there were SEs with torrified necks...may have to check some of those out.

I'd love to find a torrified neck on a 408 or a Paul's Guitar but those seem to be low production comparatively as it is.

Back