Any interest in a core standard?

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
I foolishly let go of a DGT standard awhile back and would love something in the core line of all mahogany. I'm hoping if we all give a shout out to PRS it'll happen!

I'm in! Wanted this for awhile, especially with Artist Package options (minus the top of course)! I would get a Pauls Guitar, Santana, and a SC594!

Nice, I'd be in for a Cherry Red Santana and Pearl White DGT. Also I prefer not to have the headstock overlay on standards myself, I would prefer to match the headstock with body color. What do you think?

I'd be in.

.. And when I say "in" I mean in seven years after my son goes to school and I can get that part-time job at the BK Lounge. :oops:

I hope they pass that $15 hr. law by then.

Wait, you mean you didn't get that email from that government official in Sierra Leone about your share of the 97 million dollars that you'll get if you just send them a deposit and a bunch of confidential information, and handle one banking transaction for them?

I have a 408 Standard ( with rosewood neck ;) ) and my Starla is all Hog and my Mira 245
I agree a Standard Santana or DTG would kill ;)
Some guitars just work with an all "Hog" body

My 20th Anniversary Standard 24 is a phenomenal guitar. If PRS decides to do Standards again in their core range, a Standard 22 or a Singlecut Standard will be very, very tempting...

How does the tone of the mahogany top compare to that of the maple top?

I am blessed to own both a DGT Standard and the regular DGT model. BTW, the Standard doesn't have a top added like a Les Paul, but rather is one piece of mahogany though and through. (Mine has a clear finish and is actually one solid piece.) To be honest, they're not worlds apart tonally, IMO, but there is somewhat more mid-range presence in the mahogany body, somewhat thicker-sounding, compared to the maple-capped regular version, which I find to overall be just a little bit brighter. Also, the Standard's coil-split is reportedly factory modified and is more equitably balanced, volume-wise; there's a subtle difference there, but I think it's true. Whatever, I find that either guitar sounds great when split, and both guitars have very usable tones throughout. I love them both.

Personally, I'm pretty mystified as to why the Standard was ever only a limited run, and I wish they'd just bring it back into regular production. Why not, right?

Finally, just in case you haven't seen this short video before, take it from da man himself...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I was having trouble deciding between a Custom and Standard 22. The Custom won by being a touch brighter toned, which I wanted coming from playing single coil guitars. However, the Standard also sounded great, and I would rock one given the opportunity.

I agree with the tonal assessments so far. I find all-mahogany to have a full, mid-focused tone while the maple cap makes the guitar a touch brighter and more open sounding. I like brighter guitars, so I think I'm probably done owning all-mahogany guitars. (Okay, maybe I could get talked into another SE One.)

The S2 Standards are great guitars, though. I'm not convinced the market would sustain a higher cost mahogany guitar when you could buy an S2, customize/upgrade it, and still come in at a much lower price point.

(Okay, maybe I could get talked into another SE One.)

+1. While I sort of drew a line in the sand and decided to stop buying and selling guitars and just be happy with the small collection of really good ones I have, I'm kind of back to looking at baritones again. But another SE One, if the timing and everything was right, might look awful nice on my wall.

Back