Any info on Production Volumes by Model? Especially Santana?

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
Closest number on volumes I can derive are from serial numbers or interview statements.
Hearing around 1,000 per month these days to 15K per year.

But how many by model?
I would think the vast majority are Custom 24s.
What about the signature models? Especially Santanas by each version or by year.

Anyone have any educated guesses?

I've not seen anything on this. PRS seems to hold the info pretty close to the chest.

And since you are using serial numbers, I assume you are looking at core models only? Do the S2 models fit into that serial number game?

Anyway, all speculation. I would bet that there are only a dozen or so folks that might know the answers in full detail. I'm sure folks working the production line could make their own guesses ("gee, we seem to build a couple of Santanas a week"), but I wouldn't place much faith in anything you hear...

Unless they declare otherwise due to a limitation in numbers (ie, limited edition runs of xx number), I have never seen that info publicly available either, and rightly so as it would be proprietary and valuable to the competition...

I doubt PRS would publish the numbers. It can give unintentional information to competitors about the market demands.

IE: If PRS makes more singlecuts than double cuts, one can infer there is more of a demand for single cuts. A competitor can use that information to their benefit.

Do the S2 models fit into that serial number game?

S2's serial numbers are listed on the prs site as well. Close to 7K per year now. Along with core, EG, CE, Bolt-On (89-91), Swamp Ash it's been ~16K in '14 and '15. Based on Serial Numbers. Plus a few basses and acoustics. Plus any private stock, show items, etc.

I'll probably post a survey to get a feel later (can people answer multiple times if they have more than one model?).
I'll also just start using all the models and start with equal weight to each and see what's left for my '15 Santana... IMO that would be a max number of Santanas since I'd bet that Custom 24 is the biggest seller. Could be wrong. We'll see...

Those that would know would also be under nondisclosures. Company confidential, and all.

Quick and dirty from the PRS site. So no trade secrets in here.
Will start a survey to see what the mix on the forum may be...

vTW3bCN.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO you are not going to get accurate results. They will seem accurate, because they will be based on "real data", but IMHO the PRS Forum is not representative of the total PRS customer base. You find a whole lot more PS per capita here than anywhere else, for example. And I would bet this forum, but it's very nature, has a higher percentage of the "unusual" models like SAS and P245, and the limited editions like West St Ltds, Dragons, etc.

But...since you are doing all the leg work, I am still curious what results you'll get...

IMHO you are not going to get accurate results. They will seem accurate, because they will be based on "real data", but IMHO the PRS Forum is not representative of the total PRS customer base. You find a whole lot more PS per capita here than anywhere else, for example. And I would bet this forum, but it's very nature, has a higher percentage of the "unusual" models like SAS and P245, and the limited editions like West St Ltds, Dragons, etc.

But...since you are doing all the leg work, I am still curious what results you'll get...

Thanks for the feedback!
Directional results will be fine by me. And a bias towards 'unusual' models is actually good, since that means in reality (with a more mainstream population) those will have even volume (i.e. rarer) than the results we come up with... need to get through 2-3 more long days at work until I can sit down and start the survey...

Back