Any HB owners ever use flat wound strings?

wardog

What the gravy and cheese!!!!
what do you like/liked or not like/liked about flat wound strings on your Hollowbody I, II or archtop guitar?

I've never owned a hollow body or arch top, but I used flat wound strings (D'Addario Chromes) on another guitar that was piezo-equipped. I actually LOVED them. I made sure to get a set with the wound-G string (I think it sounds less "chimey"). Flat wound strings definitely felt differently than I was used to, and that took some time to adjust. But they were so warm, and so tone-rich (at least on the guitar I was using). I've since removed the piezo system from that guitar, but I've considered using flat wound strings on it anyway b/c they sounded so good!

ok, so i put a set of chromes on and WOW, I likey alot. I will bond with the hbII over the next 2 weeks to get a good feel for them.

ok, so i put a set of chromes on and WOW, I likey alot. I will bond with the hbII over the next 2 weeks to get a good feel for them.

Flats can last until they break also, without losing their tone. Within a short while they should mellow into their broken in tone, then they will stay sounding that way for a very long time. They are so easy on the fingers, especially in slides. I found them rather stiff for bending though, but not like the train track rails I have for flats on my bass.

I liked them for years, but lately I appreciate more of the trebles that the flats seem to cut out of their sonic spectrum.

Other brands of flats are more mellow than the Chromes though, such as Roto-sounds in pure nickel. I've even had good Fender and other brand pure nickel flats and they are very rich sounding. Most stores only stock Chromes but the others are still available on line. If you like the Chromes you might dig some pure nickel flats.

Good call on the bending issue, Duffy. I hadn't considered that, but I do recall bends being very stiff and much more laborious. Not impossible, as you said, but more difficult than normal.

I was considering picking up a Hollowbody II for a while, and my plan was to use actual acoustic strings on it (we were primarily an acoustic band at the time). I never ended up getting one, but I've since really wanted to try acoustic strings on a piezo-equipped electric.

I was considering picking up a Hollowbody II for a while, and my plan was to use actual acoustic strings on it (we were primarily an acoustic band at the time). I never ended up getting one, but I've since really wanted to try acoustic strings on a piezo-equipped electric.

That's an idea I have never though of. That might work out well with the piezo. It would be interesting to see how they work out with the magnetic pickups.

Back