Any Friends of the SE 277 ?

The Bari market seems to be run by young crazykids playing terminal DeathMetal on 30" scale lengths. One of the most sought Baris (Brand F's Jazzmaster Bari ) is sporting SD soapbars ...
Yeah, not me. I do love my Bass6, but my heroes are Jet Harris, Duane Eddy, and Robert Smith. Same with the 7-string. It seems like 99% of 7-string players are those extreme metal guys. I recognize that I am in the minority, and am grateful that there was enough of a market for them to make one (277 soapbar) in the first place.

And I think PRS realize that, and that the humbuckers are just going to appeal to them more.

And yeah, there are a lot of great soapbars out there -- I'm a big fan of 3rd party pickups. But I always try to dial in my tone with the amp before I give up on whatever is in the guitar.
To SELL the re-introduced PRS SE 277 Semi-Hollow Soapbar ...
Wait, what do you mean, re-introduced? As far as I know, it was discontinued. I just happened to finally find one used. Better late than never.

Last edited:
Yeah, not me. I do love my Bass6, but my heroes are Jet Harris, Duane Eddy, and Robert Smith. Same with the 7-string. It seems like 99% of 7-string players are those extreme metal guys. I recognize that I am in the minority, and am grateful that there was enough of a market for them to make one (277 soapbar) in the first place.

And I think PRS realize that, and that the humbuckers are just going to appeal to them more.

And yeah, there are a lot of great soapbars out there -- I'm a big fan of 3rd party pickups. But I always try to dial in my tone with the amp before I give up on whatever is in the guitar.
Wait, what do you mean, re-introduced? As far as I know, it was discontinued. I just happened to finally find one used. Better late than never.

My Evil Plan is to bring back the SE 277 Semi-Hollow Baritone Soapbar, as no ... It ain't in the line ...

THEN to change the marketing thrust from guys who recognize its potential to make awesome music (like yourself)

To stoner/deathmetal/chainsaw kids making noise with it, (did I drop a spoon in the garbage disposal ?) so it will then fly off the shelves

Then it would probably sell out ... and I'd have to wait again ... :oops:

BTW ... the Squire Jazzmaster that they lust for ... has SD soapbars ...

All of us stoner, death metal, chainsaw kids, Metahhead (your spelling), and crack heads absolutely can not wait to listen to your regurgitated “hard core” rock, lived-a-great-life-and-never-really-had-the blues, and especially your version of ambient (Zolpidem) attempts on your elusive baritone.:rolleyes:
See? It works both ways when you insult what others may, or may NOT, listen to.:)

All of us stoner, death metal, chainsaw kids, Metahhead (your spelling), and crack heads absolutely can not wait to listen to your regurgitated “hard core” rock, lived-a-great-life-and-never-really-had-the blues, and especially your version of ambient (Zolpidem) attempts on your elusive baritone.:rolleyes:
See? It works both ways when you insult what others may, or may NOT, listen to.:)

Dude ... Lighten Up ! I am only ragging on what to me. is a "new" form of.. . I'll call it " expression" that appears to be embraced by folks much younger than me. ... ( Would have liked to heard what Leo Fender had to say about Jimi Hendrix, until he saw the sales figures);)

I do not particularly care for it, but it does appear to appeal to many and that appeal is weighing on product decisions .

I stumbled across these "Loathe" guys, who are from all places. Liverpool England, home of the Beatles who we all know had and to a degree still have a major impact on popular music.. But these guys ... I'm sure would not have garned a listen to back in 1964 ... just shows how much things have changed ...

No Insult intended. You take yourself far too seriously. All is intended in jest. If I had serious critiques to make , I would not be posting them here .Nor would music tastes be the topic ...

As a newcomer to all this (Baritones, as of last week) I saw that PRS had what looked like a killer product in the 277 Semi Hollow Soapbar... Id like to buy a NEW one.

But due to the music genre that apparently is most prevalent on Baritones now ... long scale lengths (up to 30" ) and super low tunings seem to be the thing. The 277 Semi, is not quite a Squire Jazzmaster baritone... but a different I believe more versatile piece. It will chug... and fitted with big enough strings (after whacking on the nut) will probably do G or F tuning ...

My tongue in cheek "marketing advise " to PRS, is to set it up and sell it that way . And to keep secret to all but us regurgitated rock/ blues /ambient guys ... That the thing actually can do music ...:) (see , there it is again ! )

BTW ...I spent considerable time (and a few bucks) exploring "I Let it In , and It Took Everything" and some Mark Lettieri baritone stuff to hear more of what is possible ...

Insulted Plueeze ! There is so much more serious stuff going on to have such thin skin over music tastes...

PS I think I'm going to adopt my typo of "Metahheads" as standard ...:p

Yeah, probably not a good marketing plan to insult the larger target market. ;)

(And for the record, I do listen to some of that stuff -- especially Opeth, Gojira, Voivod (Daniel Mongrain is a beast and a worthy successor of Piggy), Leprous, Ihlo, Animals as Leaders, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Sólstafir, Shape of Despair, Ephel Duath, The Ocean (Collective), Kayo Dot, Flummox, Garden of Shadows, &c.)

Look at the bright side, you can get some Bareknuckle HSP90s and put it in the solidbody, I bet that'd sound superfine.

Yeah, probably not a good marketing plan to insult the larger target market. ;)

(And for the record, I do listen to some of that stuff -- especially Opeth, Gojira, Voivod (Daniel Mongrain is a beast and a worthy successor of Piggy), Leprous, Ihlo, Animals as Leaders, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Sólstafir, Shape of Despair, Ephel Duath, The Ocean (Collective), Kayo Dot, Flummox, Garden of Shadows, &c.)

Look at the bright side, you can get some Bareknuckle HSP90s and put it in the solidbody, I bet that'd sound superfine.

NAW ... You Don't Communicate the "Secret Strategy" to the "target audience" . You keep it hid, like Hillary Clinton's e-mails ! :p

And you are right. Replacing the 85/15S in the current model, would make a big improvement. But now you have an $1,000 (niche) guitar so ... But as an owner of 2 pairs of 85/15S (one replaced by VS) ... I really don't want another set ...

Naw, the Semi Hollow/ Soapbar combo makes it a must have. ..

If I were to slip a replacement set of humbuckers in a solidbody Baritone ... It would be the SubZero $400 cheapie project guitar as done by the guy above . ! :p

Hey read above. I 'm listening to "Loathe", and gonna check out PRS's guy Mushok ... :rolleyes:

H'mmm These BK pickups , P90's ? Will they fit in that HB route ?

But still an expensive way to go, where if PRS were to simply re-do the Semi hollow ... I'm In ...

Last edited:
H'mmm These BK pickups , P90's ? Will they fit in that HB route ?
That's what "HSP90" stands for -- "humbucker sized P90s".

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickups/hsp90

I actually learned of them from a post here -- one guy has a whole collection -- it's a thing of beauty.

I'm having a pair of their Nantuckets installed in a SE 24/7 as we speak. (Yes, they come in 7-string, too!)

And yeah, understood about the need to be frugal. PRS' SE line are wonderful to me.

I wish they would make baritone replacement necks for the CE (bolt-on neck) series. That'd be cool. But that goes for a lot of companies (G&L comes to mind), so I don't hold it against PRS.

Let’s try this again -

Stoner
Chainsaw kids
Metahhead (still not sure what this is)
Crack heads
People poisoned from tap water in Flint, MI

These are the words you chose to use in “jest” and to “rag on” something you just stumbled on?

Nah. I won’t lighten up or take myself any less seriously as long as there are people that can’t see wrong from right.

That's what "HSP90" stands for -- "humbucker sized P90s".

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickups/hsp90

I actually learned of them from a post here -- one guy has a whole collection -- it's a thing of beauty.

I'm having a pair of their Nantuckets installed in a SE 24/7 as we speak. (Yes, they come in 7-string, too!)

And yeah, understood about the need to be frugal. PRS' SE line are wonderful to me.

I wish they would make baritone replacement necks for the CE (bolt-on neck) series. That'd be cool. But that goes for a lot of companies (G&L comes to mind), so I don't hold it against PRS.

Hey thanks for the info ! I'm sure they will sound great ...

I guess however, I'd really like to buy a new guitar, and not immediately feel compelled to change the pickups ...

PRS has the "solution" (The 277 Semi-Hollow Soapbar) . That particular guitar would fit into a planned "family of Baritones , with differing scale lengths, and pickup style from 27 to 30" scale

Hey... Does Warmouth make anything for PRS ?

Anyway ... Look man, I certainly did not mean to offend you, or anybody that likes metal, or the sub genre that the modern metal guys play on Baritones .

Heck. See the first guitar in this video of "Gored" ? (which I downloaded to my iPod) .

I just bought that as my first Baritone. Largely based on other demos I saw, but these two guys, have largely impacted what is happening with Baritone prices and popularity

Does that make me cool ? OH SH*T NO ! I don't think I have ever been cool. ...

They played the discoed Squire Jazzmaster and it took off. A $459 guitar, now going for $1100 on evilBay

They went to the "SubZero", a blatant rip off of the Squire when I guess they wanted something similar ...

I have always been afraid of the "Harley-Benton' s, (CU 24 Rip offs, along with a bunch of others) and this Sub Zero, is probably made in the same plant ... in Vietnam ! :)

If PRS does bring back the 277 Semi Hollow Soapbar ... I'll have to cop (along with another HB II and another S2 McCarty )

But I am tempted to roll the dice on this 30" inch sucker (tuned to an octave below standard ) , with . 20 -.90 gauge bridge cables .:confused:

Like the man asked .Can't we all get along ? ;)

I'll play nice in the sandbox ...

OK ... I have surveyed the Baritone market looking at major players like Fender (Squire) , Gretsch (also Fender ) and PRS . Due to market conditions, a lot of this product is simply not hanging on store walls, and like a lot of other stuff, they go out a fast as they come in

But although most of this stuff is Asian import, its still quality enough stuff, where the quality of the product, and the relatively low prices, combine together to make these guitars something a player might be willing to check into

I guess there are 'boutique brands" , but I have to think that they have to be a very small part, of a small Baritone market anyway.

Lots of YouTube reviewers focusing on Baritones, one in particular "The Bunn" ...had kind thing to say about the SE 277 Semi-Hollow with Soapbars.

What's funny about this review to me , is that some of the "PRS Pretty" it had going on, tends to work against this model in this market... Which may explain why the current offering looks the way it does

But for my $$$ The PRS member of my growing Baritone family has to be this currently discoed Semi Hollow/ Soapbar as the current offering is not distinct enough from the majority of what is already out there. (and it Chugss ,watch the video ) ;)

OK PRS !

The ball is in your court. I have , largely based on relatively low prices for relative good quality, bought into the Baritone range, with 2 guitars I never though I would buy.

1. A Gretsch G5260 hardtail
2. A Squire Classic Vibe VI (notice I won't call it a "Bass")

Both are rather sweet, and not hard on the wallet. . Actually, if they had costs $800 + , I could probably resist this temptation

But I'm in it now, and for me, the current 277 just won't do .
Its price is considerably higher than either of the above (And the Squire Classic Vibe Tele too )

But If PRS can see its way to the following :

A longer scale (all the serious metal types seem to prefer 29 to 30 " scale lengths ) For really low tunings (I'm using my Gretsch in G currently, but I can readily go up to A or back to B . (I did upgrade its tuners to GraphTech Ratio Lockers ... which are waay cool)

So I propose the SE 285 . A slightly longer 28.5" scale length, like conventional Baritones, but able to go e to E like the super longs, with relative ease

SEMI HOLLOW & SoapBar pickups. The insanely pursued Squire VM Jazzmaster has soapbar/ P90 types. As does the Squire Tele.

Just please no 85/15S application. Well, they might work, but I certainly don't want another set. Maybe TCI SE if you have to go humbucker . (whatever makes them different from the 85/15S is worth the trouble )

Oh and < $800.00 and flamey/stripey Sunbursts (Tobacco, Dark Cherry) and FlatBlack for those other guys ...

I'd like to add such a guitar to close out my Baritone Madness ...:cool:

Last edited:
Fwiw I’ve got a used 277 a few months back for and amazing steal of a deal I absolutely love how it plays and feels and sounds. I play metal on it but also some more groovy funky stuff like mark lettieri and I have to say this thing is really growing on me and giving me a new way to approach music.

also when it comes to the pickups, the 85/15s are really great pickups for the purpose I’m using and the split tones are just as lovely as the p90 sounds you’ll hear from
The soapbar pickups, but the soap bars can’t chug like the humbucker.

I have a Mike Mushok SE Baritone with piezo and I love it.
I would, love to see a Mark Lettieri baritone signature instrument, specially if it's a SE. I saw him using so many different baritones (SE 277 included) that I can't tell what exactly are his fav specs on a guitar like this. I wouldn't mind a 27 scale length, P90's pu's, bolt on, semi hollow with trem and piezo. Anyway, just my 2 cents
ESP has the LTD BB600 Ben Burnley that is growing on me. Reverend has some interesting options too.

I have a Mike Mushok SE Baritone with piezo and I love it.
I would, love to see a Mark Lettieri baritone signature instrument, specially if it's a SE. I saw him using so many different baritones (SE 277 included) that I can't tell what exactly are his fav specs on a guitar like this. I wouldn't mind a 27 scale length, P90's pu's, bolt on, semi hollow with trem and piezo. Anyway, just my 2 cents
ESP has the LTD BB600 Ben Burnley that is growing on me. Reverend has some interesting options too.

The BB-600 is really interesting and is at the top of my list when I finally get around to pulling the trigger on (another) baritone. I have the Tremonti baritone which a lot of people discount as such due to the 25.5” scale, but it’s awesome nonetheless. It lives in C# standard/drop B.

Back