Any difference between 2020 and 2021 S2 Mccarty 594

AdrianJ1981

Title says it all really.

I'm in the market for an S2 594 after catching the PRS bug good and proper with my recent Silver Sky purchase.

Looking online at a few retailers they seem to have a mix of 2020 and 2021 serial numbered guitars and I was just wondering whether there are any changes to the spec from one year to the next?

(Basing this on the knowledge that the Silver Sky has evolved over time).

I did try and find existing threads, but couldn't, so I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere.

OP Im not sure about your question but I have a 2020 arriving tomm....couldnt be more excited!

Covid threw a lot of production off, which is why I think there would be any '20 model year guitars around to sell .... (my conjecture). But the only "spec" change that got folks in a tizzy, was the change from locking tuners (might have been Phase III , but I'm not sure ) to "vintage style non-locking tuners "

That is what came on my '20 model year 594 Thinline . And as the worlds worst string changer. I'm big on installing lockers. (Put a set of GraphTech Ratio lockers , first time use, on a new Gretsch Baritone) just recently.

BUT, the "vintage style non locking tuners", I find to be more positive in feel and stability than my SE locking tuners (I don't have a set of the vaunted Pflase III's, nor will I spend $200 for them) PRS said the vintage ones sounded better. Claimed they were lighter...

My experience as a supply chain manager makes me think supplier issues ... (but they do still put them on other guitars ).

So I watched the "Skitchy" video on How to String, here on the web page, and I am cool. Plus... when the vintage tuners came from the factory, they looked like they were strung like "lockers" (minimal wrap around their fine solid brass posts ) I really didn't want to mess with them. But I had to install skinnier strings (went to 8's and did the wrapper thing..

They will stay on the guitar...:)

Covid threw a lot of production off, which is why I think there would be any '20 model year guitars around to sell .... (my conjecture). But the only "spec" change that got folks in a tizzy, was the change from locking tuners (might have been Phase III , but I'm not sure ) to "vintage style non-locking tuners "

That is what came on my '20 model year 594 Thinline .....Plus... when the vintage tuners came from the factory, they looked like they were strung like "lockers" (minimal wrap around their fine solid brass posts ) I really didn't want to mess with them. But I had to install skinnier strings (went to 8's and did the wrapper thing..

They will stay on the guitar...:)

I have the same vintage style on my '21 model. I am a big fan of the aesthetic, but haven't yet changed the strings that were on it when I bought it a couple weeks ago. I've never had lockers on any guitar so probably don't know what I'm missing, but I have no plans to "upgrade".

I have the same vintage style on my '21 model. I am a big fan of the aesthetic, but haven't yet changed the strings that were on it when I bought it a couple weeks ago. I've never had lockers on any guitar so probably don't know what I'm missing, but I have no plans to "upgrade".

FWIW, I have guitars with newer-style non-locking tuners, guitars with vintage Klusons, and guitars with PRS's newest locking tuners, and I personally wouldn't let any of that influence my choice of guitars. I don't mind changing strings the old way, I don't have to do it often, and I think (not much comparison time yet) the Klusons might actually stay in tune best of all ...

Thanks for the replies.

I'm specifically looking at S2, not Core, so doesn't sound like the tuners is a thing for me anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm specifically looking at S2, not Core, so doesn't sound like the tuners is a thing for me anyway.

Well, I think the Core 594 and the S2 use the same vintage style tuners and bridge ... so you are not giving up anything there.

The S2 Mc Carty's are just fine instruments. I have begun to dig on the "chubby neck " versions (The DC & SC) as their "Pattern Vintage" neck carves are much chunkier than my Thinline ... but still very cool, even for a player with small hands ...;)

Well, I think the Core 594 and the S2 use the same vintage style tuners and bridge ... so you are not giving up anything there.

The S2 Mc Carty's are just fine instruments. I have begun to dig on the "chubby neck " versions (The DC & SC) as their "Pattern Vintage" neck carves are much chunkier than my Thinline ... but still very cool, even for a player with small hands ...;)

Oh, I am very much a chunky neck person!!

Back