Any Custom 24 Semi Hollow Owners Out There?

Annaxes

Subterranean Homesick Alien
I've been dying for a core custom 24 semi (Huge Mayer fan) how does it compare to a custom 24 solid body? Always lowed the airy tone of a semi. Anyone have experience with them?

I've had my eye on a few of these and keep telling myself this is where the hole in my lineup is, so I'm very curious to hear others thoughts as well.

I don't have a semi hollow 24, but I do have a 22 with the same materials (maple top, hog back, dirty 100 necks) and same pickups (59/09).

I do hear differences, but they are subtle and may be hard to express in a way that is meaningful to someone else.

Maybe the easiest way to express it will make sense if you are familiar with the Boogie Mark series 5 band equalizer - especially if you think of the tradition V shape the EQ is often set at. Plugging in the semi hollow is kind of like shifting the second and third highest bands up 15-20-% and the top one up about 10%. To be fair I haven't done that actual experiment, but it relflects my sense of the difference.

Skipping the Boogie reference, I hear the solid body as having a bit more emphasis on the bottom end and the semi hollow having a bit more chime in the middle to top. I use the solid body for Dirty blues (it is a dirty 100 after all) and the semi hollow for stuff a little lighter and jazzier. Not that I consider the semi hollow as an alternative to a hollowbody or archtop.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll give it another shot.

I don't own one, but I saw several GREAT Cu24 SH at Dave's last weekend. Some awesome looking Wood Library specimens. They were begging for someone to buy them!

Toggles typically preferred over blades? Guess I could see it being easy to over-adjust the switch on the fly...

Mine have toggles. Right place, right time.

I always keep an eye out for the 22 fret trem version with toggles but... Man, 24 is where it's at for me.

Toggles typically preferred over blades? Guess I could see it being easy to over-adjust the switch on the fly...

It's just a preference thing, I don't think it's typical or anything otherwise PRS wouldn't be doing it I guess. The blade is just in the wrong spot for me, personally.

I dream they'll ditch the blade on these someday.

I saw one! The guy pulled the blade, filled the gap, and wormed it for a toggle! :p He musta been burnin' it up cuz he routed a spot to run a water cooled system between the trem cavity and the electronics cavity :rolleyes:

I've owned a CU22 semi-hollow and a CU24 in the past.

Sold them both off.

Immediately regretted the CU22 and found another...one of the nicest guitars I own. Rings nicely, lots of sustain...responds very well to experimenting with the volume & tone knobs.

Good riddance to the CU24 semi-hollow.

It just felt "cheap". Not every model PRS is a home-run.

Look around and try for a CU22 semi.

Just my opinion.

Tony

I always keep an eye out for the 22 fret trem version with toggles but... Man, 24 is where it's at for me.
Like this old thing. Toggle + push/pull
CK_142KillerQuiltBodyAAA.JPG

I don't have a semi hollow 24, but I do have a 22 with the same materials (maple top, hog back, dirty 100 necks) and same pickups (59/09).

I do hear differences, but they are subtle and may be hard to express in a way that is meaningful to someone else.

Maybe the easiest way to express it will make sense if you are familiar with the Boogie Mark series 5 band equalizer - especially if you think of the tradition V shape the EQ is often set at. Plugging in the semi hollow is kind of like shifting the second and third highest bands up 15-20-% and the top one up about 10%. To be fair I haven't done that actual experiment, but it relflects my sense of the difference.

Skipping the Boogie reference, I hear the solid body as having a bit more emphasis on the bottom end and the semi hollow having a bit more chime in the middle to top. I use the solid body for Dirty blues (it is a dirty 100 after all) and the semi hollow for stuff a little lighter and jazzier. Not that I consider the semi hollow as an alternative to a hollowbody or archtop.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll give it another shot.
So just more pushed mids?

I don't own one, but I saw several GREAT Cu24 SH at Dave's last weekend. Some awesome looking Wood Library specimens. They were begging for someone to buy them!
They are works of art but I'm looking for a 10 top or lower to keep it in my budget :/

If I say, someone's going to snatch it up before I do! :eek:

But hey I'm not one to get in the way of the happiness of another, so.... It's at Brian's. He listed in the dealer section a while ago so it's not exactly a secret, though I am really surprised it's still available.

Back