Another "What Next?" thread!

What Guitar Should matonanjin (Ron) Get the MasterCard Out For?

• McCarty 594

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • DGT

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

matonanjin

Yeah, it's another Which PRS Guitar Next For Me?" thread. :eek: But I've been thinking about this for a while and studied a lot of the other requests for suggestions. I think I have it down to two. But maybe I should consider some others. I think I have it narrowed down to either
  1. McCarty 594, or
  2. DGT Tremolo
But then I think about something like a 509 (or a used 513) and all the tonal possibilities. And then I think that I don't have the most basic PRS in a Custom 22. Or I maybe should consider a 24 fret? So I made the poll with the ability to add other poll choices. Any suggestions to further confuse me is appreciated.

Please keep the following considerations in mind:

I want it to be a guitar that will bring a little something different to my guitar stable. This is especially important because this is most likely my last guitar purchase. I currently have:
  • PRS Pauls
  • PRS Hollowbody I
  • PRS Santana
  • Fender Strat
  • Gibson 325
I will never gig. Never have. Never will. The closest to gigging is my weekly jam session that has been on hold for the last year for the blatantly obvious reason. But we are close to resuming. So other than that it is strictly bedroom (actually music room) playing.

Weight should have been listed first as it is the most important consideration. I know I listed solid bodies. Maybe I should consider a McCarty 594 Hollowbody? But I have seen some 594 Solid bodies listed as light as 7.5 lbs and I can live with that.

Probably going to purchase in the next couple weeks so any and all thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

People, sorry. I thought the poll could be made where one could add poll choices. It can't. And I can't figure out where I can change the choices. Maybe a mod can help me?

Yeah, it's another Which PRS Guitar Next For Me?" thread. :eek: But I've been thinking about this for a while and studied a lot of the other requests for suggestions. I think I have it down to two. But maybe I should consider some others. I think I have it narrowed down to either
  1. McCarty 594, or
  2. DGT Tremolo
But then I think about something like a 509 (or a used 513) and all the tonal possibilities. And then I think that I don't have the most basic PRS in a Custom 22. Or I maybe should consider a 24 fret? So I made the poll with the ability to add other poll choices. Any suggestions to further confuse me is appreciated.

Please keep the following considerations in mind:

I want it to be a guitar that will bring a little something different to my guitar stable. This is especially important because this is most likely my last guitar purchase. I currently have:
  • PRS Pauls
  • PRS Hollowbody I
  • PRS Santana
  • Fender Strat
  • Gibson 325
I will never gig. Never have. Never will. The closest to gigging is my weekly jam session that has been on hold for the last year for the blatantly obvious reason. But we are close to resuming. So other than that it is strictly bedroom (actually music room) playing.

Weight should have been listed first as it is the most important consideration. I know I listed solid bodies. Maybe I should consider a McCarty 594 Hollowbody? But I have seen some 594 Solid bodies listed as light as 7.5 lbs and I can live with that.

Probably going to purchase in the next couple weeks so any and all thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
FIVE NINE FOUR. THERE IS NO OTHER. REPEAT: FIVE. NINE. FOUR. GO NOW.

I do like my DGT it is a great guitar BUT everyone should have a CU22 ( or just a Custom something ) might I suggest the Custom 22 Special Semi Hollow , the new one shares the pickups of the 594 but has a Trem , and that cool narrowfield in the middle and my preferred 25" scale.

People, sorry. I thought the poll could be made where one could add poll choices. It can't. And I can't figure out where I can change the choices. Maybe a mod can help me?
That's ok, we add choices as we go. And off topic ideas. And puns. LOTS of puns. Occasionally we add good stuff, like Julie Bowen pics. But you never know what you're going to get here.

Before I answer the poll... Question? It seems you like thicker necks. The three PRS's you mention have Pattern regular and the Santana is bigger than that. That is, unless yours were a special order or something. The DGT neck is much thinner. Are you ok with that?

DGT for the tone options and trem, McCarty 594 Hollowbody II for equal tonal palette, incredible 594 neck & scale, and sub-6 pound weight. I went for option 2 myself, but I doubt you’d regret a DGT.

A 513/509 would be a great option #3 for you, as well. Unmatched in pickup options, stellar playability, and a cool look that is unlike any other PRS. I have used them for the longest of any PRS type (513).

I'd say go with Special - its a semi-hollow so weight is not an issue. The new ones come with the 58/15 LT's and I prefer 'mini-toggles' for splitting and you have a trem too. The NF adds some extra variety of tones too...

It's called 'Special' for a reason... LOL

Everybody, thank you for the responses and suggestions. Interesting results. The poll shows a slight edge to the McCarty 594. But people that responded with actual reasoning, rather than just "do this", are telling me go with DGT! And, most importantly, those responses are coming from people thaat have consistently guided me with good decisions since I first joined here. You know who you are, but I'll call you out anyway: @dogrocketp , @Mozzi , @bodia , @RickP .

Based on this I should go with the DGT, and still may, but I came across a 594 10 top that is gorgeous and light. Curiously, it has soap bars rather than LT 58/15's. (I may post asking about that.) It will probably fall through because my funds for the new purchase is coming in about a week. So it will be gone. Then I will be going after the DGT.

Whatever happens in the next week or so I will be starting a NGD post very soon!

To all of you Thanks Again.

Everybody, thank you for the responses and suggestions. Interesting results. The poll shows a slight edge to the McCarty 594. But people that responded with actual reasoning, rather than just "do this", are telling me go with DGT! And, most importantly, those responses are coming from people thaat have consistently guided me with good decisions since I first joined here. You know who you are, but I'll call you out anyway: @dogrocketp , @Mozzi , @bodia , @RickP .

Based on this I should go with the DGT, and still may, but I came across a 594 10 top that is gorgeous and light. Curiously, it has soap bars rather than LT 58/15's. (I may post asking about that.) It will probably fall through because my funds for the new purchase is coming in about a week. So it will be gone. Then I will be going after the DGT.

Whatever happens in the next week or so I will be starting a NGD post very soon!

To all of you Thanks Again.
Thanks for the kind words! I have a 594 Soapbar, as well, and it’s a great guitar. As I’ve said elsewhere, it’s the best P90 guitar I’ve ever played. The SD Antiquity pickups add a different dimension and tone to the mix. Search @LSchefman ‘s posts for a great comparison recording of them compared to the 58/15LT.

The good thing about your situation is that there are no bad options on your list. Any way you go, a great guitar is waiting!

Back