Another Preview

BWV548

Custom Title
More on the, still untitled, "concerto for orchestra and electric guitar". This is what I have orchestrated so far. I have about twice as much composed at this point. However, as always (for me anyway) orchestration lags composition :(
https://soundcloud.com/david-rapoport-244982614/guit-concerto-sketch-1-v1-11

Please forgive the very crude mix. I'm still trying to figure out how to make virtual instruments sound as I would want them to. VERY open to any tips from those more experienced with them

More on the, still untitled, "concerto for orchestra and electric guitar". This is what I have orchestrated so far. I have about twice as much composed at this point. However, as always (for me anyway) orchestration lags composition :(
https://soundcloud.com/david-rapoport-244982614/guit-concerto-sketch-1-v1-11

Please forgive the very crude mix. I'm still trying to figure out how to make virtual instruments sound as I would want them to. VERY open to any tips from those more experienced with them

I like where this is headed!

I think it'll be very cool when the other instruments are refined. The world of digital music is big and complex, so don't take that as a negative comment, the fact that you're digging into the stuff is impressive! The concept is there for sure, which can be a lot of work in and of itself.

Hey, thanks for the kind words!!
I'd really like to get these virtual instruments to sound good. At the end of the day, however, that would be for demo purposes mostly. I'm writing for the actual instruments.
This is the first thing I've composed since 94/95 or so. The last thing I composed for orchestra, was even further back. 90 or 91 I think!!

I find this recording disturbing; in a good way. This is an unsettling piece of music. I'm not sure if that's what you were going for, but it definitely impacted me as a listener.

I didn't didn't find the sounds of the virtual instruments too distracting EXCEPT for the electric guitar. I'm assuming the guitar sound is not a keep but more of a placeholder.

It's definitely heading in an interesting direction.

I find this recording disturbing; in a good way. This is an unsettling piece of music. I'm not sure if that's what you were going for, but it definitely impacted me as a listener.

I didn't didn't find the sounds of the virtual instruments too distracting EXCEPT for the electric guitar. I'm assuming the guitar sound is not a keep but more of a placeholder.

It's definitely heading in an interesting direction.
Thanks for listening and your thoughts!
The guitar, and realistically all of the virtual instruments are placeholders, as I'm writing it with the ultimate hopes of a live performance.
I definitely wasn't going for unsettling. However, there's no right or wrong way to hear this, or any other piece of music. Additionally, though I clearly don't know what you are experiencing in listening (or anything else), I think I can understand why you have that response. Though the piece isn't "atonal", the notion of a tonal center, or centers, is definitely not present in the most common senses. I've found that people who don't listen to much post tonal, or "atonal" music, often find the lack of pitch centricity unsettling. You may have a different response if you go off and listen to a bunch of Carter, Boulez, Schoenberg, et al., and then come back to it :)
I am genuinely appreciative of you taking the time to listen, think, and comment!

Thanks for listening and your thoughts!
The guitar, and realistically all of the virtual instruments are placeholders, as I'm writing it with the ultimate hopes of a live performance.
I definitely wasn't going for unsettling. However, there's no right or wrong way to hear this, or any other piece of music. Additionally, though I clearly don't know what you are experiencing in listening (or anything else), I think I can understand why you have that response. Though the piece isn't "atonal", the notion of a tonal center, or centers, is definitely not present in the most common senses. I've found that people who don't listen to much post tonal, or "atonal" music, often find the lack of pitch centricity unsettling. You may have a different response if you go off and listen to a bunch of Carter, Boulez, Schoenberg, et al., and then come back to it :)
I am genuinely appreciative of you taking the time to listen, think, and comment!

This makes perfect sense. The piece definitely doesn't have a tonal center, and that's exactly why I find it "unsettling". I've listened to Schoenberg (I'm not familiar with Carter or Boulez) and the lack of a tonal center is what "sets my teeth on edge". I don't view it as a right or wrong thing at all, more of a "I don't know how to listen to this" type of reaction.

I would not call your piece atonal (which is how I would describe the few Schoenberg pieces I've heard). It's definitely not I, IV V, but it's also not without a center.

Back