Another pickup suggestion thread...Custom 22

king tone

So my new to me 1999 custom 22 has dragon 2 pickups which I am afraid have to go...maybe my least favorite PRS pickups I have heard. I am thinking about a few things to put in there and wanted to see what you guys thought. I am hoping to get in a range of output a bit hotter than a PAF but not as much hot/mid honk as ceramic types like the HFS. Much prefer alnico but a little hotter version humbucker. Here are some on my mind that I think would be good, I am open to hear others...

I think the 57/08 are about the best sounding PRS pickups I have heard in general, but not quite as hot as I am looking for with this specific guitar. Maybe...

PRS 59/09 or 85/15 (just not familiar...never had any of these but maybe they are great)

Suhr SSV+ SSV (I know these very well and think they would probably be perfect but possibly keen to try other stuff)

Fralin Modern PAF 9.5-10K bridge output

Lollar Imperial hotter wind

Just for context, I am a full time player in Nashville and I want this guitar to be a little more modern than the obvious vintage brands, above vintage. Needs to be versatile...some hard rock or metal might be played on it but mainly hoping for all around classic stuff as well, Allman Brothers, blues rock and so on. Some country with the coil taps. I had a DGT a year or so ago and it sounded great, maybe just a hair hotter than that would be ideal. This is a great guitar and I just know that this change will really open it up

The PRS Mira ( 245 ) pickups are just above 9K.
59/09s are in the same range BUT to my ear are to bright for a CU22 ( at least mine )
I have a McCarty set in my CU22 at the moment and am very happy.

I'm about to drop 59/09's in my BRW Cu22 to see how they work. They are pretty hot in my Cu24 and so I think they are what I want in the Cu22. So I recommend them for yours.

Back