• Earthquaker Devices Dunes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J. Rockett Archer IKON

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Wampler Clarksdale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GoBlue

I'm looking into getting my first overdrive pedal ever, and just like everything else there are so many options it can get a little over whelming. Of all the pedals I have looked at and watched demo's on these are the ones I like. I'll be putting in front of an Archon 50 head.

I have a high opinion of all the Wampler products. What kind of sound are you after? Of the list you made, I have the Tumnus and Clarksdale, and prefer the Tumnus. But, I've never been huge on tubescreamers, which is what the Clarksdale is based on (although it is very good for that kind of pedal). I find the Tumnus to be better on its own, and as a boost, it makes lows tighter and punchier, but doesn't take a ton of low end out like a TS.

If you're after a lighter gain drive pedal, I would highly recommend adding the Bogner Wessex to your list, it's the smoothest and most amp-like low gain pedal I've ever used (and I've got a nice cabinet full of 'em). If you want more crunch and power like a Marshall stack, the Friedman Dirty Shirley is great too. But if you're looking for a contrasting tone to the Archon, look at the Wessex.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for an overdrive that can give me that late 80's early 90's crunch tone but at the same time roll the gain back for a nice Lynyrd Skynyrd tone. The Wampler Tumnus Deluxe looks like a really nice pedal as well.

Last edited:
To sound like what? What’s your style and tone goal?

From a personal perspective, I’m a huge Klon fan, so the Tumnus and Archer are my recommendation. They are both made well, sound great, and work with a wide variety of amps.

Oh, you haven't even started, that well is deep.
To sound like what? What’s your style and tone goal?
Exactly. We need a lot more to go on.

In terms of quality, I think very highly of EQD, Wampler, and Suhr, you could do worse than any of those. I actually have the Dunes, myself (but I probably shouldn't, because I hardly ever do dirt).

I'm a Wampler fan, too. But, as Elvis asked, what's up with your gain channel?

I'm looking for an overdrive that can give me that late 80's early 90's crunch tone but at the same time roll the gain back for a nice Lynyrd Skynyrd tone.
I would essentially like to turn my Archon into a 3 channel amp. Clean, Crunch, Full amp saturation.

I would essentially like to turn my Archon into a 3 channel amp. Clean, Crunch, Full amp saturation.

First, any overdrive pedal can accomplish that. So it’s a small part of the equation. And any overdrive can go from semi-clean cruch to harder overdrive, so the question remains; what do you like?

You’re simply going to have to play a bunch of them to get a feel for this.

There’s crunch, and then there’s crunch. Example: the Klon style pedals are way different types than, say, the Shiba drive, which is both more saturated/sustainy and has a different ‘grain’ (for want of a better term). There are pedals that do “soft” clipping, pedals that do “hard clipping” (these are not hard rock vs soft rock, it has to do with how the pedal shapes the transient at the note attack). And there are pedals that do more than one kind of thing, from choosing between transistor types to having both a boost and OD on the same pedal, to digital stuff (digital ODs never have worked for me but lots of players dig them).

The Tube Screamer types are far more midrange focused than some of the others you’re looking at as well. That can be awesome, or not, and it very much depends on what you’re thinking about achieving, Some pedals are very tranparent, some color the tone quite a bit, but that can also be a good thing.

Some pedals compress a lot, some don’t.

Also, certain OD pedals sound best with some amps and not others, and to make things even more confusing, setting up pedal, guitar snd amp usually matter quite a lot.

You’re probably getting the idea that this is all very personal, and it is. Also, that pedal whose tone you love in a clip may or may not work for the way you play, how hard you pick, your guitar, etc.

If it’s your first OD pedal, ever, you might want to go to a brick and mortar store and familiarize yourself with how certain generic pedal types generally work for you. By that I mean play a TS type, play a DS-1 type, play something like a Klon or a Klone, try a few other boutique models, and see what floats your boat.

It might turn out that you’d want more than one type for various purposes.

What I’d suggest is listening to clips or internet “experts” only as guides to what you might be interested in trying. There are no rules, there is no “best,” and ultimately each of us is on a very individual tone quest.

Last edited:
I'd recommend you set the gain channel to the crunch sound you like and use a clean boost to boost it to the next level.

Then you would consider how you want to shape the tone. That could help you narrow down pedals.

Personally I think everyone should start with a OD808 and then go from there. It is the industry standard.

When it comes to OD pedals, like others before me have stated, it really is a case of finding the right one that compliments not only the amp you are using but also the style of music you play. There isn't one magical OD that will work with any head and any style. For example, a couple years ago, I bought a t.c. electronic Mojomojo and put it in front of my Dual Rectifier Roadster and hoping for a great tone but instead, all I got was a murky tone that was equivalent to biting into a Sloppy Joe and having all the contents exit the bun and onto your shirt. Messy and frustrating at the same time. Now that pedal might work for Paul Gilbert and his Marshalls, but it certainly didn't blow up my skirt. In the end, what worked for me was either a TubeScreamer Mini and a first generation MXR Zakk Wylde OD-44 (the white one with the black bullseye....stay away from the later Berzerker ones. They are pure garbage IMHO.) But who knows? The Maxon OD-808 might have worked and so might have the newer Horizon Precision Drive OD that seems to be all the rage these days. Long ramble condensed, it really is about experimenting around with different pedals to find the combination that both feels and sounds right to you.

I’m pretty sure there’s no industry standard anything. YMMV

Fair enough. In reading what working musicians use for boost, the OD808 has been the most common in my experience. Not to say that it's the right pedal for everyone, but so many people know it that it's common to describe other pedals in terms of how they compare to it.

FWIW, I was in a similar situation and ended up with a Mooer Rumble Drive (Zendrive clone) for light OD and an Xotic SL Drive for Marshall-y crunch.

The Boss Blues Driver is every bit as much an "industry standard" as the TS808/8/9/10. So is the Tim. So is the Timmy. So is the OCD. So is the Red Llama. So is the Guv'Nor. It just depends whom you ask, really, and in the end, it really depends on how it sounds to your ears. Totally agree with Les about hitting the brick and mortars for OD shopping in particular. One thing GC is still great for is trying out OD and dirt pedals. As long as you're careful not to scratch/wear it in any way, you have up to 30 days to try it out and get a full refund/exchange if you don't like it, even on used stuff. That alone is worth the sales tax uptick to me.

I probably should have written "an" industry standard.

Though I would still bet that the 808 and blues driver each outsell all the others combined.

I wouldn’t be surprised. They’re both extremely popular.

I don’t see them on session players’ pedalboards often any more, however. So maybe it’s a matter of, “which industry?” So let’s go with “an” industry standard and we can both agree!

Back